Row Covers

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What kind of fabric or material do you use for your row covers? I'm thinking of using it for my squash and pumpkins this year in an attempt to thwart the dreaded squash vine borer. I also might use some over my onions when I plant them in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your input.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Go to;
www.jordanseeds.com
They have Floating Row Covers. All sizes & shapes. 2 different weights. Best price you will find.
When you get their web site up, click on Download catalog. Go to page 26.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm using DeWitt 1/2 oz, if I'm careful it lasts 3-4 years

https://www.agriculturesolutions.com/products/agricultural-fabrics/frost-protection-blankets/dewitt-frost-blankets

This message was edited Jan 16, 2016 7:51 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I use the lightest weight Agribon since only insect control is needed. It's availablei in different lengths you can cut to size. I also reuse mine for 3-4 years. Even with some holes, bugs can't find their way in. I use pvc and anchor the Agribon with large binder clips, which also last for years, instead of buying a more pricey floating row cover system.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2016 9:13 PM

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Try using Thulie fabric. It's cheap and the white color is see through.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Agribon is perfect for our climate. Buy it from Jonny's it is really cheap, it is also much wider than the tulle. Good luck !
I am very successful with squash at the beginning of our season using the Agribon .

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I use tulle. I bought a bolt of it online a couple of yrs ago and it works great. It's wide (they had different sizes) but you can use clothes pins to double the size and to secure it, if need be. I like it because it can be cut to size. I didn't grow squash last year but I used it the year before and was giving squash away in June.

I didn't realize how many posts I missed when everything was shut down.....

Well, maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Good to see you post. I have used both tulle and Agribon. I prefer Agribon for anything over four feet.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I should clarify that I've only had trouble with the SVB on summer squash (bush not vining) and the tulle was big enough and if it wasn't I just added more. I'm not sure why they don't bother the Winter Squash/pumpkins, maybe bc I start them later??

Laurel, where do you get your Agribon?

Like drthor, Johnny's had the best price. I recommended Agribon and Johnny's as a source on the veggie forum years ago.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Agribon rocks !

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What weight Agribon do you use?

I use the lightest Johnny's has. Would have to go back to check. It's the cheapest as well. It specifically says for insect control. The heavier you get the more its purpose is for frost or sun control. I really didn't expect this company to have the best price but, at the time I purchased it, it was appreciably less than more wholesale to retail online dealers. I can't recall the size bolt I got about five or so years ago but I've reused what I cut so much that there is still plenty of unused left. It will be time to replace some of it this spring with new.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.