Water lotus from Tuber :: Help needed.

Cuttack, India

Hi All,

This is Deepak from Odisha, India.

This morning I collected some lotus tuber from a pond near by my home. I collected the soil from the same pond too. My intention is to grow lotus plant and later flowers from the lotus tuber. I am using a water pot do so and put the pot on my house's roof where it will get sunlight around 6-8 hours minimum a day.

Now, what I did, I made a soil bed (that I collected from the pond) on the pot and put the lotus tuber inside the soil. Please note that tuber had some roots with it. Then I filled some water above the soil.

Now my question is, did I do the write thing and will it be transferred into a plant?? If so, how many days will it be required to see new leafs coming?? What extra things should I do??

Kindly do give me your suggestions...Looking forward to hear back soon.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

So long as the piece of tuber has a growing point (an "eye"), it ought to work.

This info might help: http://www.bonniesplants.com/lotus/how_to_grow/more_lotus.htm

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

altagardener, thank you for the link to bonniesplants.com. It's very informative, it will help many a gardeners that may like to grow Lotus here in the US as well.

@dipnunn420 from India, I don't know for sure how many days it will take for the leaves to immerge. Even though I've grown Lotus in tubs for many years. But because of the difference in climate, my Lotus in dormant stage (during our winter) will not start to grow until temperature is warm enough. In your climate, I can assume safely that it will begin to grow quickly.
Sounds you've done everything right, but depends on how hot your temperature is, you may need to add small water to your Lotus when they begin to grow. To encourage blooms, you'll need to add more aquatic fertilizer to you plants according to the fertilizer label instruction.

I so happened to have repot my lotus tuber this year. I'll see, and compare note with you if ours will perform the same?

Here are those tubers that I dug out from the pot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.