Morning Glories 2016 #01

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1412154

Lite blue Tie Dye 2014

Thumbnail by patootie
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful bloom for the new thread.

Thanks Linda.

Gautier, MS

I agree with Linda, A beautiful bloom!

Thanks Helena. The white in'the throat and the wide white
bars made that bloom special.
If this is a purp bloom, the windows are unique looking like a nil and purp cross
From 2014

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

that is a gorgeous purp and I wish I'd get notifications when there is activity here.. *sigh*
arch mix 2014

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Those are beautiful Debra. Love # 1 and 4.the best but all are special.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I lie your purp!

Debra, I agree with Jackie. Beautiful blooms. Don't know if it's ever be made right with the updates. Checking at least once a day!

well it's not updating , it still shows December 8th :P Thanks on the blooms, but those were in the arch mix 2014 if I sent you any last year. one of those is from a jackie seed, and one from Dany.

Debra, I just found your arch mix for 2014. Will try to start a couple of those this coming spring, a very nice mix

Gautier, MS

It was cold here last night and morning, frost got some of my tropical but others are still hanging on. And I am still choosing and soaking more mg seeds!

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Oh no Helena. I assume the ones you lost were your tropicals you grow in the ground so
couldn't move them to the greenhouse.
Got down to 20 here last night, brr!!!!
Pretty Zinnias.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful blooms, making me wish for spring. I'm with you Debra, wish we would be updated when there is a new post.

Gautier, MS

The sun is out but still very cold here this morning. The frost got at least 2 of my Hamelia patens bushes, they will come back in spring. My passion vine still had a bloom yesterday, I took this pic last night with flash, didn't come out good.
Here are my seedlings, see how dark the stems are, the other set of seedlings are with lighter stems. My next set of seeds in the baggie method after soaking overnight. Pics did not posted in the order I picked them.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

the seedlings look really Great! I have been so busy at work and with dog sitting that I barely get downstairs anymore, hope that changes soon. I am sure I have blooms on the new basement mix..
Why does it seem like it is still summer there, Helena? LOL
Hi Kat! so GLAD to see you!
Jackie, I am so ready for warm temps I bet u r too!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone,

My hobby is zinnias, but I notice there was a picture of some zinnias above, so I will take that as my excuse to "get my foot in the door".

I admire that some of you grow morning glories indoors, and that you have an active thread going in January. I did consider breeding morning glories myself, but I was discouraged that no yellows, oranges, and yellowish scarlets were present. I think there is a yellow Ipomea so, with some aggressive interspecies crosses, it should be possible to extend the morning glory color range to be very competitive with zinnias, or even better, since morning glories have some great blues and zinnias have no blues.

My primary reason for "butting in here" is to provide some information about posting pictures on Dave's Garden that I discovered in the last few weeks. Hopefully DG will post this information at some prominent central location viewable by all DG users, but for the time being it will spread "by word of mouth", so to speak. I suspect that some of you may have some really spectacular pictures of morning glories, and they could deserve a better display than they are getting here.

You are probably aware that Daves Garden will display an uploaded picture that is 708 pixels wide or less at the uploaded size. I notice that a lot of pictures here are at 640 x 480 pixels. That seems to be a popular size, and that is fine.

And you probably also know that if you upload a picture that is wider than 708 pixels, Dave's Garden will reduce its size to 708 pixels wide. But you may not know that if you upload a picture that is wider than 708 pixels, that Dave's Garden will store the oversized picture on the DG site, and that there is a simple way to view those oversized pictures. I have uploaded several pictures that are 1000 pixels wide (a size that I store most of my pictures in), and you can use them to "practice on" the viewing technique that I will now describe.

If a picture looks like it might be oversized when you are viewing it, right click on it and choose "View Image" at the top of the popup menu that appears. A larger picture appears. Click your F11 key and the picture goes "full screen".

To get back, click F11 again, and click the Back Arrow on your Browser and you are back at the 708-pixel version, where you can click "Back to post" or "Previous photo" or "Next photo".

It doesn't hurt to try it on a picture that isn't oversized, so don't be afraid to try the technique. This technique can maximize your enjoyment of larger pictures on Dave's Garden. It takes just a few clicks of the mouse. So, if you have some good photos of morning glories that might deserve full screen viewing, don't hesitate to upload a picture that is 1000 pixels wide.

The photos I have uploaded are relatively "fresh" and were taken indoors in the last couple of months. The last one was taken yesterday.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man Thumbnail by Zen_Man

Your seedlings look great Helena, always healthy and off to a good start.
Yes tired of the cold already Debra.
Zen your Zinnias are very pretty.
We try to keep our forum going year around. For me that means sending in
pics from the past.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I managed to pot most of the dark stems ones up this afternoon. Hope they take off. I'm tired of the cold weather too, as they say "thin blood down here". Anything under 60 is too cold.
I like your pretty zinnias Zen, they look great! I want to grow more of them this spring.

Afternoon everyone. I guess I did not click watch this thread, and have a mised several post.

I love all your blooms. I am sorry frost got some of morning glories Helena.

Hey Zen-man, glad you popped in. Your photos are very nice.

Gautier, MS

I'm glad to see you here Linda. Glad to see that the thread is working again as I tried this morning and couldn't post.

I tried to post 2 times last nite late I think it was. As soon as I hit send it took me to
a different page so I just gave up.

me too! But DMAIL was working so that helped. I have missed five blooms downstairs of the seeds I started in November. Setosa has buds! Missed you all so much..

Debra, hope you find
time to take a few pics to share. I know its hard when you
work full time,.:-)

Gautier, MS

I missed not seeing posts here too. Glad it's working now, even the update thread is back on! I'm beginning to thing that my mgs are going to wait till spring to start blooming. Hope too you get time to take pics of your blooms Debra!

went down tonight to see what is what, some of the blooms look weak and miniature, need to feed them I think.. the yellow passion vine is budded out all over, the other ones are just vining all over the ceiling, and the "tree" morning glory is just leaves, and the i carneas are leafing out again, wooley morning glory is climbing everywhere, will take pics tomorrow, we are going out for Saturday night movie date night, was crazy at work all day and I'm still cold!

Looking forward to your pics tomorrow Debra, esp your wooley mg.
Cold here today too..
Purple T Dye and Purple George Strait (2013)

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie! I sure miss my blooms too.

Here's a pic of a few of my old fav's.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

nice eye candy today, really like the tye-dyes, and the blues, GS is always a favroite to me, too. What is number 4, Helena? I am just now waking up wit coffee it is a nice 17 outside right now. brrr!

Thanks Helena and Debra.
Beautiful blooms Helena. Partial to # 3 and 5 but all are special. I'm
curious about the id of # 4 too.
All from 2013

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Wow, look at all the beauties! Very pretty blooms!

Oh Jackie, love that #5, what is it> ? U know I love them all, especially the pandys..

Gautier, MS

Thanks ladies. Debra, #4 is my volunteer from a couple of years ago,it also had solid colors too.
Jackie, #3 and #5 is DFNM x Keiryu and Dark DFNM.

Love your blooms Jackie, beautiful! Partial to your #5 too.

Thanks everyone
I found that lovely blue bloom in a pot of Dany's # 8. Thats what I posted on Sept 23 2013 or about that date with a different pic of the blue bloom., Helena did your Dany's # 8 make a similar bloom? I remember he sent us light and dark sds of # 8.and they made different looking blooms.,I didn;t get the other type # 8 to bloom for some reason.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2016 12:25 PM

here are some pics from the basement..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

and more.. this mg tree is hard to see, but it's there alright..under the banana tree leaf
second pic is wooly morning glory, third is mina lobata,

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Interesting pics Debra. I hope to start an Argyreia nervosa, wooley mg seed, this Spring, Love the pretty bloom on the 1st row. What is the 1st pic, looks like it made
a tuber

Looks like you have a few plants in the basement Debra! They all look good.

Gautier, MS

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9521359&extraimg=0

Jackie, I'm sure I grew Dany's #8 lite blue in 2013 thread. Love it, I need to grow some of those again!

Your plants look great Debra, like that bloom too.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2016 12:34 PM

OH! BE STILL MY HEART, I LOVE THAT ONE YOU GREW BACK IN 2013. SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK, I AM AT WORK. THAT ARGYEA HAS A WOODY WIRY LIKE STEM AT THE BOTTOM AND CAN BE TREATED AS A PERENNIAL. THE LITTLE TUBER IN THE GLASS IS A MACCHORIZA? PINK MOON VINE. THE ONE I STARTED LAST YEAR IS 5 TIMES BIGGER.. AND THEN THERE IS ANOTHER TUBER IN THE COMMUNITY POT THAT IS FROM AFRICA, BUT WOULD NEED TO LOOK IT'S NAME UP. SOMEWHERE IN THERE IS AN ALBIVENIA TOO. :p

Deb, I need to go look for my pink moonvine. Its dormant now so I lose track of it.
My friend who had her own commercial greenhouse used to grow the wooly mg as big as she could the 1st yr. Then she cut it way back to fit in the g house for winter.
so it still had a head start for the next summer when it bloomed. I may try that too.
Love the albivenias, never started my sds but might try this spring. Hope they;re still viable,.
You know I;m not sure the pretty blue bloom from 2013 is Dany's # 8. Helena if
you find one of your pics of Dany's # 8, please share it

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.