Sweet Almond and Others

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I decided to try to root cutting of Sweet Almond, Yellow Cestrum and Red Hibiscus.

All of these I dipped in rooting powder and put in potting soil, keeping the soil moist. I haven't tried tugging any of them yet after 2 weeks. Don't want to yet.

So far the cestrum and hibiscus look like they are fine. They still have some leaves on them or are growing new ones. The sweet almonds look like dead sticks.

Any ideas on the almond?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Molly-
I looked up Sweet Almond (Prunus dulcis if I am correct) in The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Dirr and Heuser. They say "Stem cuttings have given only slight success in rooting". Rats. On the other hand, they say 90% of the seeds germinate after cold stratification. It looks like for identical clones, grafting or tissue culture is used successfully. Scanning the other Prunus species, it looks like many are not hard, a few are tough to root. They mention layering is easy for some Prunus species. Layering is not mentioned either way for the Sweet Almond.
If I was you I would not give up on the Almond, give these some more time, and try at different times of the year, some plants are quite picky about that.
I have myself been growing new Cestrum 'Orange Peel' from cuttings, quite easy and fun, on the windowsill. Here is one I started last year.

Thumbnail by Pistil

Pistil, your cestrum look great, congrats to you!

As for the almond, I have three established plants here in the ground so am not lacking their wonderful fragrance. I wanted to make some starts to share with friends. I reckon, the more cuttings I try, the better the chance of success. Never thought of seeds, but can try that too.

Grafting or tissue culture is way beyond me, for knowledge or time to tend to them.

Thank you for the information.

Molly

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

One thing to warn you about- the Cestrum cuttings were attractive to my cats! They never care about the ones in the yard, but when I took the cover off my cuttings, they pulled out a few, ate all the leaves off every one! These are so tough that two survived the trauma, but now I protect them from the grazing cats.

luckily my cats can't get in the guest house where i am overwintering plants and starts

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.