Hydrogen Peroxide

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Looking for old timers, like 2004 that worked with the thread discussing all the uses of germination using hydrogen peroxide. I know the thread was bumped up a couple of times, but have not been able to find it. Can you help me? Thanks, Jnette

Fort Worth, TX

will hydrogen peroxide kill fungus that may have invaded my wandering jew cuttings?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

A good bet Gypsi. Do you know how to use it? Just put maybe a capful in a quart of water and use it for watering your plants. I used to put some in the water everytime I watered my plants. They sure looked healthy. Use the Hydrogen Peroxide you get at the grocery store. Think it all is in brown bottles now. They decided that the light made it go weak so they started putting it in dark plastic bottles. Would not hurt to spray the foliage with it also. I used to use it for bugs, etc too. Many years ago, like 50, I was buying a product called Oxygen Plus in a small kind of squirt bottle. Instructions were to put 2 squirts in a quart of water. I did that for many years, and back then even the cost of probably around $4 a bottle it was expensive for me. My husband was in the military making less than $200 a month. Well, many years later when I started on DG, I got interested in a forum on peroxide. Reading what those folks were doing with it in their experimenting , it dawned on me that what I had been buying all that many years back was Hydrogen Peroxide and at 89 cents a bottle I got twice as much as I had been paying $4 for way back in the late '50s. They were putting it in water to soak the hard shelled seeds in prior to planting, in deno's method of germinating, they put it in the water they moistened the paper towel, my daughter uses coffee filters, etc. with. Mainly to kill any diseases etc. that could effect the plants when they sprouted. Very interesting forum back then. Got me hooked on DG.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

A good bet Gypsi. Do you know how to use it? Just put maybe a capful in a quart of water and use it for watering your plants. I used to put some in the water everytime I watered my plants. They sure looked healthy. Use the Hydrogen Peroxide you get at the grocery store. Think it all is in brown bottles now. They decided that the light made it go weak so they started putting it in dark plastic bottles. Would not hurt to spray the foliage with it also. I used to use it for bugs, etc too. Many years ago, like 50, I was buying a product called Oxygen Plus in a small kind of squirt bottle. Instructions were to put 2 squirts in a quart of water. I did that for many years, and back then even the cost of probably around $4 a bottle it was expensive for me. My husband was in the military making less than $200 a month. Well, many years later when I started on DG, I got interested in a forum on peroxide. Reading what those folks were doing with it in their experimenting , it dawned on me that what I had been buying all that many years back was Hydrogen Peroxide and at 89 cents a bottle I got twice as much as I had been paying $4 for way back in the late '50s. They were putting it in water to soak the hard shelled seeds in prior to planting, in deno's method of germinating, they put it in the water they moistened the paper towel, my daughter uses coffee filters, etc. with. Mainly to kill any diseases etc. that could effect the plants when they sprouted. Very interesting forum back then. Got me hooked on DG.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry if I duplicated the post. I sure didn't want to take a chance on losing that long one and in reading the preview I wasn't sure if I had posted it or not.

Merry Christmas everyone!! jen

Fort Worth, TX

that is a glitch we have got, I posted this thread twice but only one took. I ended up just snipping the healthy parts last night and dusting them with cinnamon and setting them in a wet dirt pot partly covered in my aquarium greenhouse in the fish room, because in attempting to start in water I think I have failed 100% of the time with this plant species

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

{Put a little hydrogen peroxide in your water Gypsi. If you can't get it going let me know and I will send you some. jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

pieces and starts of the plant. Not peroxide. LOL. jen

Fort Worth, TX

thanks - I will let you know. I tossed a piece in the water tray in the aquarium "greenhouse" so I poured a little peroxide in the water near it. Some plants I almost always kill. Finally quit killing my aloe vera - learned the cinnamon and put in drawer trick on DG last year. This one I tend to underwater and not notice until the roots are dead. which is what happened this time. I water every month or so and use a glass bulb and that is ok on pothos and snake plant but not so much on wandering jew

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You're right they like more water than that. What is a glass bulb? YOu mean one of those things like a bottle with a water tube poked into the soil? I thought those were suppose to be just what the plant liked???? What? They can't read minds??? Jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gypsi, how is the Wandering Jew doing? Did the cinnamon work? If not, did you try the peroxide? You know what? After reading your last thread on here, I think you have too many things on your plate. You are trying to have fun with all your hobbies besides making money to pay your bills and put food on the table. Think you need to decide what ones you want to spend your time on. I guess i shouldn't say "want" to spend your time on, but "need" to spend your time on and then figure out how much time you have left over for the hobbies. You have a big variety, all of which take a lot of time. Not enough time to work and eat and sleep. ok, tell me, to MYOB. LOL, jen

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2016 11:59 PM

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Jan 31, 2016 12:00 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.