Looking for very fuzzy-leaf varieties

(Zone 7a)

Hi,

Curly-top has become a huge problem in my area lately. In the past two years I have had only a few tomatoes before the leafhopper invasion caused crop failure. The one exception to this was a VERY fuzzy leaf variety--Uluru Ochre. I had planted 2 of those, one made it through most of the summer before succumbing, and and the other grew untouched until frost. The problem was that I wasn't too fond of the flavor, which I found bland, cracking was a big issue, and it didn't set fruit in the heat of the summer. (Also the squirrels decided they loved barely ripened tomatoes, but that is another post!)

I am hypothesizing that leaf hoppers are discouraged by very fuzzy leaves, and would like to plant tomatoes that have this quality. Unfortunately I am not able to find "fuzzy leaves" as a characteristic in catalogs, except in the case of a couple with fuzzy leaves and fruit. I do not need fuzzy fruits, just fuzzy leaves. The fuzzier the better.

TL:DR--Can anyone offer some suggestions for varieties with leaves of exceptional fuzz? Thank you in advance!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Yes, I know several varieties that have what's called angora foliage ( fuzzy) but I can't distinguish between what I call normal angora and exceptional angora. And I know many who have grown tomatoes in the south where leafhoppers are found and this is the first time I've ever heard of a connection between leafhoppers and angora foliage.

What other angora ones have you grown to see if the one was a fluke, or for real,

Carolyn

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

MOMOTARO tomato had fuzzy leaves

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.