Plant Propagation Basics November continued

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Welcome everyone to the Fall to Winter Propagation Thread..
Show us your methods.. this is a cutting I started of a hibiscus.. it is in vermiculite in a Styrofoam cup.
we came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407877/

This message was edited Nov 16, 2015 8:59 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

I am using this fish filter to start cuttings of tri color I batata, tomato, firespike , passionvine and chi-chi so far..
I also have small cuttings of things in this turtle area, where Gamera and Little Bit reside all year..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Fort Worth, TX

Cool. I wish I had plants in the empty aquarium in the fish room, but I haven't gotten a thing done on bringing them in. I do have one tomato plant living on the pond plant tray, should be an heirloom tomato, but it is a couple of feet tall. I could literally grab its pot and bring it in the house. hmmmmm Does the aquarium filter pump water out to the plants?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gypsi you were talking earlier about peony seeds , someone sent me four or five seeds ,I have a pink and a Hybrid , Likes drier climates that here , Although they are everywhere around here ,

Debra I like that room ,, The wildlife Underground ,, Even though it sounds like being a smarty , it makes me feel good thinking from the Petrified Forest ,
You have the Underground Garden , ^_^

Gypsy, yes the filter pumps out water, the cuttings are in that filter. Thanks, Ju, it is my private
hie a way, where I can get lost for hours. The basement is just now getting together for the winter..you can see the banana has lost all but three leaves..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Awesome !!! Awesome!!! Awesome !!! STUPENDOUS !!!

Fort Worth, TX

Beautiful, doesn't look like a basement at all!

Oh it is a basement, let me assure you, along with cracks and ugliness LOL No one goes down there, so that is my "SHE CAVE" :D

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What kind of basement is that! No spider webs, no black moldy walls.
Does look nice.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Lol CountryGardens...not your typical yucky basement. Very nice Debra, where does the time go when you're down there?

Thanks, my husband would disagree, he thinks it is an embarrassing area, he just irons down there LOL

here is where the time goes.. checking out blooms, snipping off dried, dead leaves stems, stirring up hard compacted soil, spraying mist water, feeding plants, taking cuttings, poking in seeds here and there, building training strings for the vines, spraying cuttings, checking for root nubs,
looking for signs of spider mites and mealy bugs, looing for seedpods, looing for bloom buds, looking at new growth, designing containers, you know, gardening stuff. :D can u see what I found the last pic?

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

my mum cuttings, my castor bean seed pods,one of my containers from cuttings and a seed,my monster snow queen hibiscus that needs trimmed again, cuttings in a tub..

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra, what is the orange and yellow blossom, first picture , next to the last post? Just above the mums. Everything is very pretty Debra, looks like you just sprayed them with Neem Oil. I always like the beautiful green leaves more than flowers. Thanks for sharing. Jen

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Debra, you are an amazing plant lady! The plants in your she-cave look great. Jen, the orange and yellow flowering vine is a Manettia luteorubra - blooms all summer long and is so beautiful.

Debra, I love doing all that time eating stuff...looks like heaven to a gardener. Thanks for the ID Kay, Jen usually asks what I want to, she has an uncanny way of reading my mind. Manettia luteorubra is pretty spectacular...wow.

Debra you've got some really great pics in there! How did you start your Mum's cuttings?

My rooting medium of choice is pure coarse sand. I rinse the sand well, put it in a drip saucer, add water to the saucer and keep the saucer full of water. I take cuttings, stick them in this sand and they root most of the time. When I used potting soil, I always had a rotting problem - no more. Set the cuttings in a window and they should root just fine.

(((((((KAY)))))) so glad to see you! what a day here at work,, ugh. I use all kinds of rooting methods, so far all of them have been good to me. tropical grenery sems to work good in semi moist to dry peat in a plastic covering with air vent, but as Kay said, I do see some rotting in the soil methods in winter, but I have been spraying with peroxide and tea tree oil, that seems to help with the fungus and mold.
Mums are doing great in the soil planters, but they are in a warm environment. ;D

Deb, remember - you retire in A YEAR! I am thinking of moving back to Florida - Ocala area - I'm getting too old to haul plants into the garage and house. My bones ache today - this cold weather is making me very unhappy!

I hear ya, my friend.

Thanks girls, more methods to look forward to trying...wha ha haaa. Sometimes just adding or deleting one step makes all the difference for success.

Kay, signs of a die-hard, true-to-the-bone-gardener; don't minimize your collection to cope, move to a more conducive, tropical climate...lol!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well ladies, there is a catch there. If you do that then you are working your butts off gardening year around. At least in the cold country you get to rest a few months out of the year. I hate the cold, especially after we had a big wind storm last night and lost our power at 12:30 in the a.m. and it didn't come on until 8 o'clock this morning. 20 degrees outside all that time. Yep, it was cold in here.

However, I do like to rest too. jen

Fort Worth, TX

i like north texas as long as we get some rain. how many hours of light Debra?

I have the overhead lights on 8 to 9 hours ( T'5s) and the wall lights tomimc the rising sun and setting sun hours on 12 hour timers.
it is good for me to garden, all year round, cuz otherwise I'd start drinking or going nuts from worrying about things beyond my control. Gardening to me in winter is relaxing, restful, and... takes my mind off things.
IF I HAD children here it would be totally different, but I don't. No young ones, not even grands.
this weekend we will be dog sitting Oreo, the black and white corgy from the west fence. His dad brought him over tonight to preview the house he will be staying in, and he immediately marked his spot LOL
this will be interesting. very interesting.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OMG, that's why I would never have a mail animal of any kind. I hate that. I honestly have no patience for it. Think I would have told him to kennel the dog. Debra you are a doll for putting up with it I guess.

Our dog Candy, just came over to me and told me it was time for ice cream. She gets a small scoop and Bob has a bar, on a stick, LOL, and I have a small 2 inch piece of vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate. Anyway, she comes over and talks to me with her eyes. So I told Bob it was time for the ice cream. She really does. She blinks her eyes at me. Then goes with Bob to get it. With Bob she puts her butt right in front of him and wags her tail. She is talking to him.

We know what she is saying by what is next on her list of traditions. LOL, yes, we are crazy.

I hope Oreo only had the need to mark it once. Have fun Debra, I dog sit sometimes too (I don't like giving them back though).

Lol Jen, Candy knows how to work her Peeps. My DH and I are the staff for two Felines named Lily and Bud...I don't know where those names came from.

we woke up at 1 thirty something am to things falling off the bookshelves, and our bed shaking something fierce. it lasted a long while and freaked me out .

Oh goodness Deb, did you have an earthquake? That's definitely scary freaky! I hope all humans and animals are alright....

Thanks , Robin, Oklahoma had a 4.7 at that time and we got the "shock wave" of it in Derby.still , it woke us up, and I am so worried, we have just started having these events in the past 15 years. I'm betting from Fraking.

Move to Florida or Texas with me, Deb!!!!

No...move to Michigan, I'll help you haul plants in and out, lol!

Robin, I lived in Minnesota and know your weather too well - thanks, but I'll pass! LOL!!!

Well Kay, I've been to Lee's Summit and it's beautiful there. You're a tough customer!

Not a tough customer - I have lived in Florida and appreciate the warm days nearly year around. At 65, my blood runs thin! I start freezing around July 2 and don't thaw out until Aug. 31.

I'd actually do the same thing, move to FL. I just may someday, I hate the cold. If I drop dead from non-stop gardening, I'd go a happy woman. Lol, not that I'm ready yet.

Every state has its drawbacks - Florida often has 60+ mph winds, which knocks all your plants down and it also has sinkholes that swallow up buildings. An ocean swell could wipe you off the face of the earth and it does freeze practically all over Florida occasionally - even Miami has had temps in the low 30s - doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I know , I finally got it ! the perfect place to live , Utopia ,, Dr Suess ,, Disney land ,, lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, the weatherman just came on and he said Snow starting Tuesday and 2 days next week where the low temps were in the teens. So, I won't suggest you move here. You might hate it.

But, we don't have earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, oceans to wash us away, sinkholes, what else? However, we did have fires and wind storms this year. But no poisonous spiders depends on where you live here,(black widows in a few places) No poisonous snakes, except for a rattler here and there. That's it.

Debra are you serious? Did you really have an earthquake last night? I am so positive you are right. Fracking does it. I can't even understand why they are allowed to do that.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Debra!! National news just said there was an earthquake in Oklahoma in the middle of the night last night!! Scary. Move your bed away from any walls. Especially nothing on shelves over it.

We felt that earthquake here in Kansas City - all the windows shook for a good 5 minutes. It was just one rumble/rattle after another - I thought it was the wind, but on the news tonight, they said it was the effects of the Oklahoma earthquake. That means the New Madrid fault could become active again - that's only 400 miles from me! Oklahoma is 350 miles from me - EGADS!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well stay safe all , we have had 3 quakes in ten yrs , here , The New Madrid also , nearer the far north edge of that here , largest was about a 3.8 . solid shake not much more than that .
Here the The Illinois Basin and Trenton field come together with lots of sand and gravel , that buffers the quakes allowing the Limestone Bedrock to slide , instead of break ,like really big Earthquakes do ,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.