tomato cuttings

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Anyone ever took cuttings and kept them growing and alive enough to plant back in the garden come spring?

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

That's a great idea ,but I never though of doing it.Maybe I will try it next year and see what results I get.Have you ever done it?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

This will be a first for me,so far there all are still looking good,just worried the spider mites will take them down at some point over the winter,I have that problem a lot in my greenhouse during the winter,they seem to spread like a wild fire,even thou I try hard to combat them,I just manage to stay even with them,you have to sprat every 7 days to stay a head of there egg laying.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Tropicman -

I found your question interesting because I was just reading through an old thread I saved from 2009 about rooting tomato cuttings.

Here's the link to the thread. I think you'll find it very helpful. Enjoy!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004194/

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks nuts very interesting,not sure I'm quite along with that growing by seed is better than cuttings,all my life I've been told seeds will never be as true to the plant as a cutting would.,All my cuttings have rooted and starting to grow flowers,in my unheated hog panel greenhouse.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I think the issue with seeds is when plants are hybrids, just like with perennials, they won't come true.

I've thought about trying cuttings many times, but never got around to it. I did once pull out some tomato plants at the end of the season that were growing in containers. I tossed them in a pile behind the shed in the very back of our yard and forgot about them. Next spring they actually started growing on their own and even produced a few tomatoes.

It sounds like your cuttings are doing great! That would be wonderful if you can get tomatoes this late in the season. I once read an article about people that grow veggies all winter in Minnesota in a greenhouse, so it should work in TX.

Good luck!

Fort Worth, TX

the thread linked above is fantastic

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.