What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Neal, what a great compliment, coming from someone as wonderful as you! Don't forget, you were my intro to hardy geraniums - now a mainstay of my garden!

You know you are dealing with Gravetye Giant because they are substantially larger than leucojum aestivum, which grows one to one and a half feet while GG can top out at two feet. I just love the pendulous bells. And particularly if you have tried to grow snowdrops, and realized how teeny tine they are, and how expensive they can be because you need to plant them "in the green" and that you need to plant a billion of them for any effect, you end up cheering GG on. I planted five snowdrops. Ten years later I had four pathetic ones. I planted five GG, and must have had 30 five years later. They will grow in shade, by the way, but multiply much better in sun. Which is why I got more and placed them in a pretty prominent spot.

Oh, wow, 60 for the next two days!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

These leucojum are about 18". I like them so much I have no problem picking up more to compare! They would be lovely in the sky beds with some of the early irises.

Snowdrops- what is up with prices these days?! I remember when they were as cheap as any other little bulb, now most are $1 or more per bulb! Something that small has to be planted in groups of at least 50 in this big yard (and positioned for maximum visibility too). There was a tiny clump of the double flowered G.nivalis Flore Pleno growing here by the front door when I moved in. It was so insignificant I didn't do anything with it, a garden just formed around it. After I few years I needed to move them and ended up with a nice bunch of bulbs. I should have planted them all together, but for some reason I just put clusters of 5 here and there throughout the entry bed. I have since added various crocuses and some G.woronowii (ikariae). Try saying that 3 times fast, LOL! Heck, I can't even say it once! Anyhow, the early bloom time keeps me wanting more snowdrops, and having seen them naturalized in lawns of old homes where they were so beautiful. I've also seen photos of lawns full of snowdrops and winter aconite- what a happy and hopeful sight at the end of a long winter!

And speaking of early bloom, there is a leucojum species that blooms early, but I never see them sold.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2632/#b

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My Leucojum is (supposedly) GG, but last year the bloom stems were about a foot tall... and the year before it either didn't bloom or the blooms were so insignificant I misssed them (and they're right by the front door). I have high hopes for these new ones, will plant them between irises in a spot that I hope well-drained enough for them. A few will go into a new rock garden area, just to be sure about drainage.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

The weather is so warm

in Staten Island 62 degrees and my daffodils are pushing their heads up .lol

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The daffs are doing that here too. Feels way too early, but I guess I often see pips in mid December. I think I'm a bit alarmed every year when this happens.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Quote from gemini_sage :
I've been working on an area I call my "sky garden" where I use blues, yellows, and white.

The first photo is where the spruce was limbed up. 2nd is a combo I was really happy with, Anemone blanda "blue shades" and Tulipa sylvestris. 3rd is another combo that made me happy, of daffodil 'Wave' and hyacinth that was supposed to be Delft Blue, but looks more like Blue Jacket. The last 2 are the bed where the tarp was, but that part is blocked out of the photos.

Neal ~ I really like Tulipa sylvestris there with the Anemone! I have a feeling that your Sky Garden with fill up in no time!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Evelyn,
I just found this post. Your sky garden sounds beautiful. Sometime, I'd like to see a picture of that garden.
Then, you have a white garden also. Your yard sounds really nice. I have an all white garden and the Gaura 'Whirling Butterflies' and Phlox paniculata 'David' is blooming right now.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

birder17 ~ The Sky Garden is not mine, but is Neal's (Gemini_Sage).

This message was edited Jul 12, 2017 5:09 PM

As someone living in Coimbatore, I can confidently say that Sri Sakthi Gold Finance is one of the top choices for gold buyers in the area. Their convenient location, coupled with their reputation for fair pricing and excellent customer service, makes them a go-to destination for anyone looking to sell their gold items. I've personally had a seamless experience selling my gold jewelry to Sri Sakthi Gold Finance, and I appreciate their professionalism and transparency throughout the process. If you're in Coimbatore and considering selling your gold, I highly recommend giving Sri Sakthi Gold Finance a visit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.