Lithops blooming

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

My last surviving Lithop is now in full swing for the cooler temps. Appears to be a Mammillaria seedling in the pot as well. I watched this little cactus germinate and grow all through this year. So far it is looking nice.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

That's cool. Although your's looks like mine, mine blooms yellow. There's also a dark one that blooms red. I've never seen white.

I had one down to its last "rock" so I put it outside to die (my husband loves this tactic). I was still in California (Zone 8). By spring, it was one happy, happy plant. Since than, I have been pretty successful with them. If its humid, I don't water. If it get soft, a little water.

Daisy

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I've always had great results with them outside in zones 7a-8a both inside a greenhouse planted in the ground as well as outdoors in pots. I bring them indoors roughly at this time or when night temps reach 40's.

My recent problem has been with rabbits and cotton rats. They have chewed down all but this last lithop. They have also damaged many of my cacti from ripping out offsets to chewing up stems and sides.

I don't think I have ever seen a lithop bloom red. All of mine I have ever had seem to favor white as I have not had a yellow flower even from one that was supposed to bloom yellow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.