Mammillaria Question!

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I have several Mamms most of which are unidentified. This one happens to be in bloom right now so I decided to try to find what it really is. I'll have more as they bloom--if they do! My first choice just from perusing cactiguide is M. albilanata. Another that might work is M. haageana. Both are apparently fairly common. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

This plant is in an 8 inch pot, is 6 inches in diameter and is 8 inches tall. It blooms several times a year and sets numerous tiny fruits. The blooms ate very small, usually compressd between the spines and never extending past them.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Bill,

ID'ing Mammillarias can be hard. One website to try is: http://mammillarias.net/gallery/mammillaria_list.php?lg=uk

They have a pretty comprehensive treatment of species and a boatload of pictures.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Hi Bill,

Has your Mammillaria always had that almost double center? It looks like its getting ready to split. There are a few Mammillaria that divide dichotomously at maturity. That is an important clue to the identification of your plant.

I don't think it either of the suggestions you made.

Daisy

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

check out: Mammillaria muehlenpfordtii - Golden Pincushion on Mammillarias.net
Could be a decent match.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Mcvansoest, Thanks for the site. A lot of information and you were way ahead of me on getting through it. That is the closest match to flowers and seed appearance so far. I'll count spines and aureoles tomorrow.

Daisy, thanks for your response. I think mcvansoest is closer to the mark than I was. The center has elongated just over the summer months. I was assuming a split. Here is another (aso noid) that is on its second division.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Yes, M. muehlenpfordtii looks like it. And that's one of them that split thing too.

Look at Mammillaria karwinskiana subs. nejapensis for the last set. Highly variable and a couple of name changes.

Daisy

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Daisy, I agree with your ID of the second mamm. It is a perfect fit: flowers, spination and all--thank you! I have another mamm that came from Altman labled as nejapensis. I have encountered problems with their labeling in the past so am not really surprised if they misidentified it. Leaves me wondering about it now! It is more massive and has radically longer spines, one being central. A pic showing the comparison of the two and a closer shot of the Altman plant. This one is the only mamm in my collection that has yet to bloom so no help there yet.

I've spent hours on this genus and am certain I know less than ever before. Sure wish I knew as much now as I did during my university days!

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

what about M. pettersonii for the third plant?

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

It could be M. petersonii but without flowers, I would not place all my bets on that horse. How long have you had Mystery #3? Long enough to bloom?

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

M. petersonii surely looks close and spine count and color are right. Have had this one about 6 years with never a bud. It is the only one of my mamms that is being stubborn.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.