A problem question for you all

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK, you guys, I have a question/problem for you. My hairdresser had a tomato plant this summer that had the most big tomatoes on it than anyone who saw it could believe. They all remarked on that. She could not remember what it was, she got it at some place she just bought the plant. OK, so she planted it in a box approximately 6 feet square, with just regular garden soil in it, and about 6 bell pepper plants. When she went to clean them out for the winter, she pulled it up and the roots were about the size of a nickle around. All of them, and the longest one reached the other side of the box about 6 feet away.

Question: Did the peppers have anything to do with the amount and size of tomatoes it had on it? The size of the roots? What about this plant happened to do that plus have that many large tomatoes on it? Do you think the peppers had anything to do with it?

OH, BTW, she brought me one of the last tomatoes on it and I am going to save the seeds for next year and hope it is not a GMO.

Anyone got answers for this tomato plant?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

When you grow in containers the soil tempature tends to be higher than direct planting into the ground. I growe tomatoes in straw bales and the root systems on my tomatoes are larger and more dense than those in the soil.

If the plant is a hybrid the seeds you have won't grow true to the parent. If open pollinated you should be fine.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

beginners LUCK !

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I saved seeds from a Steak Tomato that a friend gave me,and for that past two years I have got the same huge nice tasting tomato.I grow my tomatoes in EBuckets .I also got seeds from aTomatoes on the Vine and my results were great too.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dr. Thor, not sure what you mean by beginners luck. She is in her 60s and been growing some tomatoes each year most of her life. Just never grew them this way. Paul makes the most sense but I grew tomatoes in strawbales also, and did have bigger roots, not that big, but never had any of my plants have that many tomatoes on them. I also grew in ebuckets but again, didn't have those same results.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

You don't need to worry about the seeds being GMO as they are not available to the general public and I don't know if there are any GMO tomatoes. I'd be more concerned abt it being a hybrid.

I've had tomato plants with some pretty big root systems don't know the difference.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Jen, what state is she in? The peppers do not affect the tomato in any way. New box, new soil, roots on tomatoes depend on the soil type planted in, and the size the tomato expects itself to get to, basically. 12'vine requires more root support, loose soil, more root support, my estimate is its an heirloom of large size. You need to get pics. Guess I ought to show you how ez it is to upload fone pix from your phone. As far as quantity- I would say her conditions, temps, and location were 'spot on' this year.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Im not Jen but since she said that it was her hairdresser I bet they live in the same state. from what she said I bet its too late for pics.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, yes, Washington State, and no, not too late since the tomato she gave me can still use some ripening so haven't used it yet. I will take a picture of it and when I get the pictures into here I will show you.

Yes, I think the biggest puzzle is the amount of tomatoes of the large size. Not huge by any means. Just a nice size and she said the one she gave me is not the largest that was on the plant. Will show it soon, I hope. If I had not already talked to my daughter Kitt, I would have you help me. Should have thought of you sooner. Might yet. >smile

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, yes, Washington State, and no, not too late since the tomato she gave me can still use some ripening so haven't used it yet. I will take a picture of it and when I get the pictures into here I will show you.

Yes, I think the biggest puzzle is the amount of tomatoes of the large size. Not huge by any means. Just a nice size and she said the one she gave me is not the largest that was on the plant. Will show it soon, I hope. If I had not already talked to my daughter Kitt, I would have you help me. Should have thought of you sooner. Might yet. >smile<

LOL, could have been Idaho which is 2 blocks from my hairdresser.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thats why I asked Jen,knew you had 2 states to play in. Any queries, head to Fireside n I will send pointers to fone abilities

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.