Asparagus vegetable companions

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

What vegetables can I grow in between my asparagus?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I've never heard of planting anything with Asparagus. Normally you have a bed strictly for it alone because I believe their roots are kind of like rhizomes, or underground runners so new spears can come up anywhere.

That is my understanding of Asparagus growing. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will come on here and tell me about it.

But Asparagus beds are something that takes several years to develop. It takes a couple of years to even get a spear here and there. A few more to get a meal. A good Asparagus bed is something to be treasured. So, if you have one started, read up on it, research them, and do your best to keep it growing good. Take good care of it.

Just my opinion.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I completely agree.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow Lisa, thank you. I was sure someone was going to throw a bucket of cold water on me. LOL, I have never grown Asparagus, tried it once with very poor success because wild morning glory came up from underneath the bed and took over before I saw it.

But, Asparagus is my very favorite vegetable. Especially roasted. Thank you

I have a neglected Asparagus bed that has been there for 20 yrs. It does fill in, just like you said.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, do you mean you didn't plant cabbages or something between them?

Where do you live? When does the Asparagus produce in your neck of the woods? Lets see, Liberty Hill, Tx is it? Could you send me a map?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, do you mean you didn't plant cabbages or something between them?

Where do you live? When does the Asparagus produce in your neck of the woods? Lets see, Liberty Hill, Tx is it? Could you send me a map?

A map of what? I live N E of Austin in the Hill Country. Asparagus produces in the Spring but if it gets too hot too early the quality is really compromised. As long as it doesn't get too hot it produces fine.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, a map of where you live so when the asparagus is ready I can sneak in and help myself. Due to the change in weather would you please let me know when it is ready/

Id love to. Lol But our weather changes so fast we can go from AC to heat in the same day. I think that's one reason the asparagus has never done great. If you google Liberty Hill look for a very small dot. Lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

edited to delete duplicate

This message was edited Sep 25, 2015 8:35 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL I don't do dots. I can't get down there that fast. I think we both should meet somewhere in Oregon for our asparagus. Maybe scope the state out early and have it all planned out with a monthly weather report.

Think we should get off of here. We are taking over dun1 kirk's thread. And we both know better than that.

Sorry dun1kirk nite Lisa. jen

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

That's okay. Now I know not to plant anything in my asparagus bed!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That's good. >smile

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Back to companion plants - you may want to find out if you are going to have pest problems in your plants. If so, find out what beneficial insect is effective against that pest, and what plant attracts that beneficial. Then you may want some adjacent to your asparagus. I have seen Basil, Cilantro/Coriander, and Marigolds recommended as companions for Asparagus and they all attract beneficials. Tomatoes like the same companions and can be grown adjacent, not in, Asparagus bed. Asparagus appreciates some fall fertilizer/compost, you can be doing that this year.
Sources say not to grow potatoes, garlic, or onions in or adjacent to Asparagus.
I have seen strawberries recommended as a companion for Asparagus but that never made sense to me - Asparagus is a long-lived perennial and strawberries are short-lived & require renewal, their cultural needs are too different.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.