Dividing Turks Cap

Fort Worth, TX

mine have red berries but no white flies. (but I do seem to be raising frogs)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a pink TC I got from a roundup & it's setting tons of red berries this year! I was just wondering the other day if I was remembering correctly that they're edible. Apparently so! If I remember, I'll take a pic later once I'm dressed for the day☺️

Fort Worth, TX

They are definitely edible, I've eaten a few. Not much tartness to them though, and plenty of seeds

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just don't feel compelled to eat them!
Here's some examples of what's on my bush now.
Excuse the crazy angles!
Janet

Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio Thumbnail by bariolio
Dallas, TX

Update. No longer have to rely on my memory. My turk's cap definitely sets fruit. Leaving them in case the birds want them.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are some of the fruits on my Turk's Cap. Are these baby Turk's Caps?

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX

I believe those are baby turks caps

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I always find them in the weirdest places and away from where my Turk's Caps are actually planted.

Fort Worth, TX

the birds eat the fruit and drop seeds

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Should I dig them up and pot them up or leave them until the spring?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

You can leave them, they are safe in the ground.

Fort Worth, TX

should I trim my frostweed so it will put on its show?

Yes, you can cut it down to about 8 inches.

Fort Worth, TX

ok, thank you Josephine!

Dallas, TX

Oh, glad I just read the msg about Frostweed. Elsewhere I asked about the seeds.

Joan what do you need to know about the seeds?

Dallas, TX

Can I collect them for planting later or giving away? Or maybe I've waited too long as the seeds look dry. Or maybe I've jumped the gun. Thought I might see if Google can show me what a frostweed seed looks like. Ms. SPWD has inspired me to collect seeds. Of course I don't want to rob the birds if they like the seeds.

The seeds look like tiny sunflower seeds, I will see if I can take a picture of them.
Yes you can save them for later, or if you leave them they will probably fall and some will come up in the spring.

Dallas, TX

I did google for pictures of the seeds and I'm skeptical about some of them. Others look like what I have but I'm thinking that those are hidden in chaff. Aside from collecting the seeds, the plant itself comes back in the spring, right? At least the one you gave me at an RU came back. But maybe it came back from the seeds as it didn't even occur to me to save any. The plant, from which you get your name, is a perennial that comes back w/o reseeding, right?

I'm in trouble if I get little frostweeds growing next spring. First, I might not recognize them when just popping up and would pull them, thinking of them as 'weeds' aka 'unwanted plants'. Second, I don't have my frostweed plants in a good spot to multiply. I had moved them close to some French doors so I could see if they were doing their thing in a freeze. BTW, Dallas did not get a freeze last night.

Yes the plat you have is a perennial so it will come back in the spring from the roots.
The freeze has to be pretty low to make the stems burst, we didn't get a freeze either.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

We got a freeze both nights. Dang it's cold!

Fort Worth, TX

Got to 27, left a few things on the pond platform that won't need brought in now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.