Dividing Turks Cap

Dallas, TX

I have a large Turks Cap in my backyard that I would love to divide so I could have some in the front. Can it be divided and if so, how?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

You can dig it up when it is dormant and cut off a piece of it, this is not easy since the roots are so big.
It would be easier to take cuttings or wait for seedlings to show up, they usually do.

Dallas, TX

Not sure if I could see a seedling underneath this plant. Do they form after flowers drop?

yes, there will be fruit and after that when they fall the seeds sprout.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Frostweed, I got two Turks cap..a red and a pink from Plants Delight in Raleigh. I watched like a hawk for seeds. No fruit and no seeds. Bloomed like crazy. Plants Delight offered unusual plants -- do you think that there are Turks Cap that are developed that are sterile? I am sure post blooming there was nothing happening. The red one bloomed like gangbusters the pink not so much.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't remember fruit on mine either. But maybe Ive just never noticed.

Dallas, TX

Ditto to what 1lisac said. Don't remember or maybe never noticed. Or maybe mine is sterile. (How humiliating.) Or maybe the birds ate the fruit. Or maybe I'm just tripping out here. Whatever, I've never seen so many blooms on it and I've had for umpteen years. Well at least 10. Will wait and see. And pay attention this time.

Mines 15+ years old. All I can figure is maybe the fruit are small, like berries? Mine has red flowers.

Dallas, TX

I've got red flowers. I just don't have a memory.

I googled it and it does have small fruits that look like a lot like a flower bud. I guess I just never noticed

I am sure there were no berries. I promised someone seeds and I was diligent looking. Lifted the leaves, watched the blooms. Nothing.

It could very well be that some are sterile, mine do make fruit although not all of them.

N/A: plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159838/#ixzz3mi906cqA

This was the Pam Puryear that I have
This is Plants Delight photo where I purchased

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Dallas, TX

Ok, well the red turk's cap does (or can) set fruit. Now that I've seen pictures, my memory has snapped to. I do remember seeing what I didn't realize was fruit.

From the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center:

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=MAARD

There's also information on propagating.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2015 10:30 PM

Fort Worth, TX

Mine have reproduced like crazy seedlings popping up 100 yards away but most are near the plants, so I think it does set seed. Maybe I have a female plant and someone has a male (actually I have 5 or 6 of them now that I have tended and more have been potted as gifts

I think some are hybrids.

Fort Worth, TX

Hybrids don't set seed?

They can but they aren't always viable. The kind that missingrosie has is a hybrid "N/A: plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed" according to the link they can only be propagated by cuttings.

Fort Worth, TX

mine is old fashioned and not a hybrid because it is popping out all over

Are the flowers red?

Fort Worth, TX

yes, red flowers, plants get 3 or 4 feet tall if good water, 6 in a year with rain. Fruit is red too

I have a huge red one with roots as big as my wrist. No seed. Again from Plants Delight --- a nursery that sells unusual plants, newly released versions, etc. if you are interested - look at the catalogue on line. Can visit a few times a year. Catalogues are collected for the uniquely designed covers.
Hosta are special interest of owner who has traveled widely to collect specimens. When I got the pink (photo above) Pam Puryear it was not widely available. It is not hard to find now.

Edited to say my red may be "Big Momma" - it is sterile or seeds may not be viable like the Pam Puryear.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2015 9:23 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Never had problems layering the Turks Cap, but I let them have time to get good roots before Chopping their umbilical cord, and its easiest done in late spring.

Haven't tried layering. I will tho.
I just take a cutting...and it roots readily . one time I had a small cutting and it had barely taken off and it bloomed!!!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I normally eat the red berries on the Turks cup ... they are so good !
Does anybody know if I could make jam with them?

Dallas, TX

dither - I read about making jam just the other day. Well, I didn't actually read, I just noted it b/c I knew I wouldn't be making jam. Don't remember if I saw it here on DG or using Google. Or maybe on Lady Bird Johnson's Wildflower Center website. That's the sum total of my knowledge.

Are the berries sweet or tart?

Fort Worth, TX

They are edible? hmmmmm

Dallas, TX

Drthor - apologies. Spellcheck changed your name to 'dither' in my previous post while my back was turned. Should have proof read it. Don't want you to think I was calling you names.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The berries are sweet !

Dallas, TX

I'll look for the source of my pitifully small knowledge. But need to get back outside for awhile. I swear I saw that one can make a jam with them.

Dallas, TX

Ok. Couldn't wait so I did a google search. Here's one of many similar recipes. All are for jelly not jam.

https://texasjellymaking.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/turks-cap-jelly/

Fort Worth, TX

I think I need a LOT more turks cap as I remember the fruit to jelly ratio.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

That's great !
I will start to save the seed pods.
My Turks Cup freely reseed everywhere and I love it.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor

The deer love it too. I only have a small two spaces to grow it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have one that I took from a cutting from my dad's neighbor's plant that they've had in their yard for at least 10 years, if not longer.

Fort Worth, TX

wow - I have one that is 14 but I don't water it a whole lot, wait a minute, is that a tomato in your photo? thought it was a turks cap fruit.

Yes, my Turk's Cap does set berries! I just noticed them today. I also noticed that what I thought was one huge plant is many large plants. Lol I just realized they are related to Hibiscus which explanis the White Flies.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I noticed the white berries on my Turk's Cap today as well.

Mine has red berries and white flies?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.