Oriental lily seeds

Fort Worth, TX

My oriental lilies actually lived thru the summer, got pollinated by bees, and I noticed the dry fat seed pods and harvested the seeds today. For now I have put them in the refrigerator in a plastic dish with a lid. Has anyone started lilies from seed before? How difficult is it?

Once again my old eyes and thumbnails have failed to get a pic of the right flower and once on they can't come down. Pic 1 wildflowers, pic 2 naturalized daylilies. My oriental lilies are bright orange and apparently I have never photographed them.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2015 2:15 PM

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi
Fort Worth, TX

This is approximately what my oriental lilies look like. They are not fancy, bulbs from Burgess in 2013. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=photos+of+orange+oriental+lilies&t=ffsb&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm2.staticflickr.com%2F1103%2F626746045_bf8ea12c14_z.jpg%3Fzz%3D1

Fort Worth, TX

has anyone started any lilies from seed?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Gypsi, I started Lilies from seed, I don't know if they need moist stratification or what the stratifying period should be, mine were ready to go. I germinated them on top of damp vermiculite and pressed them in. I put them in a 1020 tray with a dome cover and placed on a heat mat until they germinated.

Fort Worth, TX

sounds good to me Robin, thank you.

You're welcome. Btw, I enjoyed seeing your wildflowers and Daylilies too.

Fort Worth, TX

hahaha. my vision for these itty bitty thumbnails may become a DG legend. and the preview won't let you shoot the image up to size on the bigger screen to see what it is.

I think it's a challenge even for people with great vision. I always name my images so I can choose by name. I found that to be a good work-around for the issue.

Fort Worth, TX

I take too many photos, am shooting from a couple of phones and a digital camera, a few hundred a month, AND my favorite graphic software won't work on Windows 7, I bought a different one a while back and didn't upgrade it to the windows 7 because I couldn't get it to work on a 3 click manner. I do high volume stuff but don't want to mass reduce a hundred files, I just want it to be easy to rename, reduce, and save in a different folder. Got Gimp - haven't figured out how to use it. and am mid-bookkeeping and bee-keeping today, so once again it has to wait. That would be the BEST way to handle it, I am just software challenged.

Fort Worth, TX

Miracles never cease, digging for something else I found the oriental lily pics today. These are what I have the seeds for!

Thumbnail by Gypsi Thumbnail by Gypsi

I'm glad they don't cease, those are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing Gypsi.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Very nice. They're not Oriental lilies, however. They're Asiatic hybrids.
Here are germination instructions from the American Lily Society:
http://www.lilies.org/culture/growing-from-seed/

Edit: The plants you showed in the link in your second message are misidentified - they're all Asiatic hybrid lilies, not Orientals, hence the confusion. ;-)

This message was edited Oct 21, 2015 8:38 AM

Fort Worth, TX

they were cheap from Burgess Seeds, lol. I don't mind as long as they grow, thank you for the link.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Since they are hybrids they may not come true. Ie they won't look like the parents.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here are couple of mine , I am not good at seeds of the type , lillium, Amaryllis . and so on
There are a couple of others

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I looks like you're pretty good at those types Ju, yours are beautiful too!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

:) A large white one and Stargazer , I do the bubil thing , Pics are somewhere .

Fort Worth, TX

will give them a try when I can find the time again, it comes and it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.