Pomegrantes in Florida?

Dunnellon, FL

Anyone had any luck with them down here? I bought one at my favorite little windy Garden Shop, and they seemed convinced it would not only grow but thrive. I've always been under the impression that Poms needed dry arid environments. (like california)

If anyone has successfully grown one in North Central florida I would be interested to hear about it!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I grew in the Piedmont of NC. It got flattened by ice sheets sliding off roof one particularly bad winter. We have a great deal of humidity in summer. The flowers were a flaming orange and the tree / shrub very graceful.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My sea island climate is pretty similar to that of north and central Florida and I saw some at our farmer's market the other day. They were locally grown and although they were not very red, they were a good size. I say go for it!

Even if no fruit ( can be a pollination issue ) it can be a graceful / beautiful ornamental

Dunnellon, FL

I appreciate all the feedback! I've had her planted for a little over a month now... gotta love the extended grow season of Florida. I guess I'll post an update down the road. ;) It's a Russian variety evidently. We'll see!

Come back and post a photo. DG will let us know when you do

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Never grew any but a neighbor right down the road from me had a large tree I'd say about 15 feet of poms. It was there when she bought the place. I did see it bloom but don't know if it ever produced fruit. Many times I was going to dig up a spring and try it but never did. Wish I had cause I love them.

I'm in central Fl. zone 9B.

Bonnie D.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

We saw one in Clermont FL a couple weeks ago in a park. Wasn't real big but it had some immature fruit on it. I did a Google for Florida+pomegranate and there is quite a bit of info.

Looks like they'd do better in cooler climate, this is what the University of FL has on them: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg056

Dunnellon, FL

i have a garden in Dunnellon. have 2 Pomegranate trees which are 2 years old. no fruit yet but they they look o.k. Per the University of Florida they should be bearing fruits very soon.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice to know, we've have pretty mild winters the past few. I did read that same info on the UF's site. I imagine it takes a few years before they bear fruit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.