Nice September Treat

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I failed to open my greenhouse last tuesday and fried more than a few plants, philodendrons, hoyas and such. My cacti and most succulents survived my stupidity quite handily. Some lay down flat for a few days but stood back up and now appear unaffected. The thermometer was about waist high and pegged at 140 deg when I got home and realized what I had done!

Obviously this Astrophytum did not mind a whole lot. First pic was yesterday and second about 5 minutes ago. The third pic is Mammilaria decipiens camptotricha.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

My greenhouse hits 110 on a regular basis but its never gotten to 140! I'm also in Zone 6. Are you the ventilation system? I was thinking of installing a swamp cooler in mine.

I'm glad you saved the cactus, especially those two. Great plants!

Daisy

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Hi Daisy,

Yes, I'm it! Usually pretty conscientious about seeing to the gh. Had a caretaker cook it about 6 years ago when I had a lot of orchids. I think this time it was well above 140--The blast of heat when I opened the door actually hurt when it hit me. The only things I'm still worried about are a Fockia capensis and my Epiphyllums who look stressed. A ficus bonsai lost its leaves and a couple of Portulacaria bonsais lost about half theirs but are apparently going to be ok. I hope!

I do have a swamp cooler but rarely run it this time of year. I just got in a rush and forgot to open the door. My super bad!

Bill

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Those Epis probably are not happy at all. I can not grow them here in Phoenix. They hate the high heat!

Decatur, GA

Too bad rockminer. Sorry to hear about your bad luck and loss. Can you put a vent opener on timers to auto open every 24hours or some such system?
Anyway your pictured plants are gorgeous.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for writing Nancy. The Epis are showing some fine wrinkling. This photo is after cutting the browned 2/3 of the plant off. The other pic is from earlier this year, in happier times!

Helen, The gh is built of 2 foot by 8 foot solid thermopane panels so I can't cut any more holes. Perhaps a heat sensing door opener? I'll look into that. Thanks.

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.