My dragon fruit bloomed tonight!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Got a long segment from my daughter 2-3 years ago, potted it and placed it in bright sunshine, let Mother Nature water unless we had a really dry spell.

Noticed 3 buds on it about a week ago, and tonight one of them bloomed! Can't wait to get fruit and see what color it is. Fingers crossed.

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Decatur, GA

What fun. Do you think you'll get fruit?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i hope so, but have no idea what to do but wait and watch. since it flowered, i'm hoping it will also fruit.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

It's funny how these plants make these huge flowers all at once then poof! My plant just flowered over 3 consecutive nights (each set collapsing the morning after) and that was it. For what it's worth, my plants flower without giving fruit (not to say it won't happen some day), but the flowers alone are quite a show. They fall off pretty quickly if there's no pollination so you'll know about that soon enough.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

You could run out with a little paint brush when it is blooming to help it along with pollination.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

well, sure enough my second bud bloomed tonight - I'm running out there with a paintbrush!

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm holding my breath and crossing my toes while I type this, but could my dragon fruit be setting a fruit? Remember, I had 3 blooms, each one night in a row. On the second night and third nights I tried to pollinate manually per Nancy's suggestion....

Now, one of the bloom "leftover" is completey gone. Another one still has the trashy looking flower leftover hanging. But the last one looks like this! (See pics) Can this be a fruit in the making?

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It does look like it! Can't wait until it goes along farther so we can tell better.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Update on dragonfruit...can now tell definitely that a fruit is set.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Dragon fruit.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, did the orchid cactus forum disappear, or has it been combined under this general cacti and succulents? Thanks

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it appears to be merged into Cactus & Succulents. It does fit there and they have merged a number of forums recently.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

update on dragonfruit: the outside "skin" is turning pinkish-red, and the "petals" are turning up, away from the main core of the fruit. How will I know when it is time to harvest?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Final Update on Dragonfruit: It was really pretty and looked ready to pick on the 12th, my birthday! We pulled it then but didn't have time to cut it until this morning (various birthday functions kept us busy). Since it is our first, we didn't know what to expect as to flavor, but I loved it. Hubby says it is "ok" and he will try it again after it is chilled in th fridge. Even the dog loved itm lol. (But he loves all human food.) Pics below. I hope my two plants will produce more fruit, and I have my special "manual propagation" paint brush at the ready.

Now that I know it is red on the outside and white on the inside, we know it is ___________?

tia, JoJo

Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden Thumbnail by jojogarden
Decatur, GA

Yum!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

So happy you got to enjoy the dragon fruit!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

i bought a Dragon Fruit today, this one has magenta outside and inside too. I decided to try to save some seeds to try and put in the seed swap. Each one is in a little gelatinous substance like a fish egg. Does anyone know how to deal with this-do I dry them or do they need to be planted immediately.

Decatur, GA

The only thing I could recommend is to find some directions on the preparation of heirloom tomatoes seeds for storage. Tomatoes seeds are also in a kind of gelatinous coating and requires some prep.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks I never saved tomato seeds, I will look it up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.