Tomato Growing Idea

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I do not have a huge area to plant my tomatoes in a different spot each year, as suggested. Last year I planted one plant in a potting soil bag. The bag is 55 quarts (about 3' tall & about 2 1/2 ' wide). I stuck a rebar in the middle so it wouldn't fall down & poked holes throughout the bag. I am thinking to do more of this next year but adding some well rotted manure & other amendments to the bag. I have ground soakers throughout my vegetable garden, so I'll have to think about another way to get these watered (any ideas, here?)
I know others have great ideas that might improve my future thoughts.
Thanks

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

If your space is limited you could try some Earth Box type arrangements, or improvise your own similar containers. You'll need some fairly large containers for tomatoes. Several articles in DG to help.

Al

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Four of my home-made earth boxes sprang a leak, so this year, after emptying them and trying to fix the leak with silicone grout, I put two 5 gallon grow bags in each one, and planted a tomato in each one.
Great successes: Riesentraube (cherry), Mountain Fresh, Iditarod Red (dwarf).
     (The first two plants grew about 5 ft high, the Iditarod about 4 ft. All had lots of fruit.)
Failures: Wild Fred, Rosella Purple, Perth Pride (all dwarf)
     (They all developed blight even though I used new potting soil and compost so I only harvested a few fruits from each.)
P.S. I watered every two days. The Silicone repair worked in three of the HEB's.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

If I have ground soakers, without having to hand water, how would I water tomato plants grown in 55 quart bags? This was the pertinent question asked at the beginning of this forum. I know someone out there has a great idea!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Are you calling ground soakers the hoses that eother weep or spray. If so then you can run plastic pipe to your tomatoes and water that way you will need some black coiled pipe a pressure reducer and sme drippers pretty cheap very good. The drippers come in different drip rates. I would start with a 1 gallon dripper. A 1 gallon dripper delivers 1 gallon in an hour.

Maybe you could slow down the blight if you pruned out the excess vegetation and increased the air flow to your plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.