Euphorbia rhipsalis

Waverly, IA(Zone 5a)

I believe what I have is Eu.rhipsalis.
It's very leggy and flops. I read the it is a tree type so I am wondering what to do to train it into a tree rather than a trailing sad sack.
Priscilla

Thumbnail by phizz50677
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I think it has to be either a Euphorbia or a Rhipsalis. Not both. It looks like a Rhipsalis - I don't think you can make it stand up. Its doing what they do.

Daisy

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Is the name supposed to be Euphorbia rhipsaloides? If so, that is now a variety of tirucalli. I have no idea if that variety is supposed to be upright, but the regular tirucalli is a big tree. Your plant looks quite unlike the tirucallis that I know. Whatever you do, be very careful of the sap (eg. when cutting branches) as it is likely to be a severe irritant, bad even for a Euphorbia. Leggy, floppy plants generally benefit from some strategic pruning and greater exposure to sunlight. I don't know how you are growing your plant now so these are just some ideas.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Could it be Rhipsalis salicornioides

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rhipsalis_salicornioides_1.jpg

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought the name was changed from Rhipsalis to Hatiora salicornioides a number of years ago.

Decatur, GA

Wikipedia says its 'also called Hatiora Salicornioides' but I think it is the most commonly used name judging from what a Google search brought up. It's an interesting plant. May need to find one.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There has been one in my family for over thirty years. It was my mother's and became mine when she passed. It originally lived on a table, under the deep overhang of our pool patio, when I was growing up. Many offspring later, I have more than enough to share. DM me. It blooms in a sunny spot come mid-winter. I have shared pieces with several other DGers over the years.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is definitely Rhipsalis salicornioides and not a tree form at all. It is a hanging plant that will always hang. There is no way to get it into a tree form, nor would you want to. It does have nice small yellow flowers in the winter and is a fun plant to grow.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

Before Laurel made her generous offer I had one on the way from Ebay. It arrived and its a cute little plant. I need another like a hole in my head but I do like hanging cactus so this should be easy to find a place for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.