ID Please.

Bayside, NY

Hi,
My rue plant has these little yellow bugs all over it. I cut most of it down to get rid of them, but I can't seem to ID them. They are small yellow grain like bugs (like tiny rice shape) and seem to nest in a web like substance. Any ideas? They are really tiny, but I tried to take some photos for id.

Thumbnail by Mluna25 Thumbnail by Mluna25 Thumbnail by Mluna25
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Those sure are tiny!
Can they fly?

I would dip a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and touch each bug with that, then rinse off the plant to be sure you are not leaving any rubbing alcohol on it.

Bayside, NY

I used Jungle rain leaf cleaner and then rinsed it off. I also cut most of them off and tossed them in the garbage. I have not seen them as adults, so I can't say if they fly or not, in the stage they are in, no...they crawl pretty quick and seem to create a web like nest. Mostly on the underside of the leaf. They are super tiny, (visible with the eye) and look like tiny yellow rice or grain. I don't know what they are, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts of what they might be?
Thanks again.

Bayside, NY

I dunked one in water and was able to see that it does indeed have clear translucent wings forming, but they are not flying as of yet. They seem to start off in a web like cacoon. Any thoughts on what they can be?

Bayside, NY

I also found a clear egg this morning, that was attached to the underside of the leaf with whatever this insect is- filliment. It was damaged before I could snap a pic. It was hard type of shell and perfectly round. Much bigger than a butterfly egg, almost 4x's the size. I've searched all over the internet, but I can't identify this creature. It's mostly eliminated now, through cutting it off the rue, but I am curious as to what this can be and take preventitive measures.
Damage, seems to inclued, curled leaves, stunted growth and browned stems, so I imagine they are sucking creatures.
Thanks again.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

The egg sort of sounds like some kind of scale, rather than an egg. The damage is indeed typical of a sucking insect.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Is there a chance they could be mites? The webbing and size make me think of that buti really have no idea.

Bayside, NY

I thought mites or some kind of aphid originally, but they do fly when matured. Sort of look like light colored tiny fruit flies, but their legs are not gnat like. They seem to prefer to crawl. I am thrown of by the web like nesting. They seem to love to cluster together in new growth. The egg was defientely an egg. Gotta love the garden for discovering new and strange creatures. Guess it's a mystery for now. I will keep looking and will report back any new findings or updates.
Thanks everyone.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok I'm grasping here lol but how about Fungus Gnats? I'm not even sure if they actually both plants....

Bayside, NY

Well they are smaller than a fungus gnat, and are light caramel/yellow like color. I thought maybe whiteflies, but the webbing or filliment sort of rules that out. Plus, they don't look like tiny moths when they mature.They have wings, but do not fly much. They tend to gravitate towards new growth and hide in the grooves of the leaves and stems. Eventually, the white webbing surrounds them.
I am raising black swallowtail catterpilliars and tend to find them on the cuttings I take in. They do not come off with a strong soaking, but I can catch them with a small paint brush dipped in water.

Still a mystery, as I can't seem to find anything so far as to what they can be. They seem to cause the same type of damage that a whitefly or any sucking type insect causes...weakinging the plant and turning leaves, yellow, etc.
Thanks for all your thoughts. Eventullly someone will figure this one out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.