Is this bad?

Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic

Hi, I grew these Hydrangea quercifolia from seed that i ordered. I have never griwn them before and some of the plants have a red pigment on the leaves. Does anyone know if this is normal ? Or what it is and what should I do? I uploaded to photos of the red leaves and one other plant that doesnt have it.
Thanks,

Thumbnail by Dmey Thumbnail by Dmey Thumbnail by Dmey
Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Purple or red leaves may be a fungal problem, cercospora or could be a phosphorus deficiency. Fungal disease is usually not a killer but the plant will loose it's leaves. You should clean up the leaves to cut down on the spread of the fungus.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I see the 'unaffected' plant is also larger, further leading to a possible nutrient deficiency.

I would fertilize with a complete fertilizer and see if that helps. It is getting late in the season, so I am not sure how much response you are going to see.
Be prepared to feed them again in the late winter at bud swell.

Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic

great thank you!.. I think it may be the fungus... Im actually very surp ised that they germnat d and are growing at all. I live at 1600 ft above sea level at the moment where we have much cooler temperaturs than the coast. But i am growing them to plant them in a garden of a cabin im building higher up in the mountains at about 4000 ft. Ive been experimenting with cooler temperature plants that ive ordered from seed that you normally cant find here. There have been some delays in construction .I expected to have these up at 4000 ft before thhe hottests months july , august. But they seem fine..other than this problem. The unaffected one is bigger , it was potted up earlier so that maybe the reason.. I will give them some food as well. Thanks a
For the help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.