Name Pease

Fort Wayne, IN

This cactus has bloomed for me all season these 3 make 5 so far and there are 3 more buds!! I am amazed, They are such a beautiful pink. Does anyone know what the name of the cactus is. Thank you Grace

Thumbnail by acts238
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Grace,

It is an Echinopsis hybrid. There are a lot of named hybrids with very similar flower color so unless it came with a name attached it is going to be really hard to get any more than that. A better picture of the flower might help.

All Echinopsis hybrids get these huge beautiful flowers. Looks like a very happy plant!

Thijs

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Put it in a wider (not deeper) pot. It should grow an entire colony of barrels, all blooming magnificently.

Daisy

Fort Wayne, IN

Thank You for all the info on my cactus. I can't wait to get a new pot for the cactus, maybe this time next year it will have babies. This time of year the pots are a lot cheaper too, so I should be able to find the perfect one..
Really Appreciated!!
Grace :))))

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it looks healthy.
A general rule of thumb for the depth of the container is: the shallowness or depth of the container combined with the porousness (density) of the soil combined with the average temperature will determine how often you water it. Simply put: a shallower container lessens the chance of over-watering it and/or having the roots too damp for too long (which can lead to rot).
I have all different depths of containers for cacti, it's a matter of judging when to water and when not to.
Another general rule for watering cacti is: To be on the safe side, only water when you know for sure that it is totally dry down where the roots are in the soil. (This rule may not apply entirely to some tropical cacti though)
Happy growing!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I've had hundreds of babies over the last fourty years. I think the more shade the more babies.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I've had hundreds of babies over the last fourty years. I think the more shade the more babies.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Fort Wayne, IN

Hi Smashed, I think you may be right. All of the cactus I have this year is in a bright north facing area have had babies. I didn't really notice that until your post. A couple of years ago I put 3 or 4 cactus together to save space, but I'm finding babies popping out everywhere so I'm having to put several into there own pots. Having fun watching and transplanting but worried about where in this house all of them are going this winter.....I really need a Florida room!!!
Grace

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Sorry about the extra posts. Don't know what's going on. I have a Mamm. Blooming now. Mostof mine bloomed in the sspring.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Sorry about the extra posts. Don't know what's going on. I have a Mamm. Blooming now. Mostof mine bloomed in the sspring.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Fort Wayne, IN

I have always enjoyed looking at your blooming cactus and yours has what encouraged me to start growing cactus and succulents. I never thought I could get a cactus to grow in this zone but am finding them a lot hardier than I thought. I brought a Barrel Cactus home from AZ quite a few years back and one day I hope to see a Bloom. Hmm I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't do it. Have a great day.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Shade vs More Sun might be a factor for producing more offsets. There is another method for controlling offsets and blooms though. That is, if the soil is a little more alkalinic than the norm, then it'll be more apt to produce more offsets and less blooms. And if the soil is a little more acidic than the norm, it will bloom more rather than offset more. You can control the pH by adding the appropriate plant food.

Fort Wayne, IN

Thank You Xenomorf...Alkaline....Babies / Acid...Flowers. Thank You soooo Much!!!

Decatur, GA

My plants get almost exclusively rain water which I think of as acid. I don't get too many off shoots on any of my cacti but no flowers without MG. But... I do keep most of my plants in expanded clay pellets with have not nutrients. It all gets too complicated and then I get a headache... just kidding. Thats actually interesting about the effects of acid vs alkalinity with regards to off shoots and flowers. Thanks again for your wisdom Xenomorf.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.