Arisaema flavum germination

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I bought a plant in a pot for my garden. It had already flowered, and now has a beautiful ball of orange seeds developing. I think I will try to germinate them, it doesn't sound hard. How do I tell when it is time to harvest and sow them?

I would leave them on the plant for another month or so to make sure the seed has matured. Does the orange seed coating (berry-kind of thing) have to be washed off before sowing the seed?

From what I read, yes the seed should be removed from the berry which contains germination inhibitors, and one should wear plastic disposable gloves because the berry flesh will damage your nerves in the fingers!
However, that said, I "winter-sowed" some seeds of Iris foetisissima var lutea, and did a little experiment to see whether or not it mattered if I removed them from the berry, or nicked them etc. The ones with the best germination were the ones I just planted whole, in the berry, although no seeds germinated until the second winter, exhibiting the documented double dormancy I expected for that species. I suspect with winter-sowing in my mild rainy climate, the fall-winter rains wash off the germination inhibitors that were in the berry flesh. I may try a similar experiment again, as there are lots of seeds developing in there. I suppose they could be hybrids, if the nursery had any other species too, which flowered at the same time.

Good to know about the berry flesh damaging nerves. Does the Arisaema require double dormancy as well? The only berry-covered seed I've ever worked with was Magnolia grandiflora and I washed the berry off before stratifying in the fridge.

Supposedly the Arisaema is an easy germinator, sounds like I can just put them on the counter, could even sow outdoors if I want. I guess I could even let them fall where they are, but I think I need to move the plant-I forgot I have a Cyclamen hederifolium right there (dormant in June when I planted the Arisaema. The Cyclamen flowers are a pale lavender-pink, and I think they clash with the berries:

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, here is an actual expert opinion - Kristl Walek at Gardens North - that says Arisaema are easy, warm germinators (i.e. don't need cold stratification nor any temperature cycling ):
http://www.gardensnorth.com/catalogue/database.cgi?Mode=List&Field=Category&Search=PERENNIALS
(Scroll down in the link to Arisaema.)

Kristl has also made this clear in other forums where this question has arisen. I've only grown A. flavum from seed (or maybe one other as well? Can't remember) but found this to be true.

Thanks-I have bookmarked the GardensNorth website, will spend some time this fall looking around in it-it looks really useful (both as to buying seeds, and info about germination)-and dangerous to the wallet!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.