What is happenng to my Fringe Tree?

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Hi, all. We live in the North Carolina Appalachian Mountains and planted a native fringe tree around 12 years ago. We've had no problems with it until this year. This Spring it did not bloom (and usually blooms heavily). Then about a month ago the green (not wilted) leaves began to drop. Since then the tree has experienced leaf drop branch by branch until now it is almost bare. Ag Extension cannot find a borer, and neither can we. There are some holes where we have pruned over the years, but they seem to have filled in nicely. The growing ends of the branches appear to be dead, but the tree remains green under the bark from around halfway down from the top to through primary trunk to the ground, where the tree is now suckering. I didn't see any streaking from Verticillium wilt. Besides, the leaves drop green although a few have remained and then dry up brown on the branches. I am going to provide some pictures and will be more than happy to provide more if any of you can give me some direction. Thanks!

Thumbnail by irmaly Thumbnail by irmaly Thumbnail by irmaly Thumbnail by irmaly
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Perhaps it is at the end of its life.mi planted ours 15 years ago. This spring it did not perform well and it doesn't look so hot. A neighbor has had similar experience and said the shrubs not long lived. I love ours and the fragrance. I will replant another.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.