Blackberry seed - Newbie

Stockbridge, GA

I'm going to try to plant some erect blackberry seeds which I picked. I have a number of containers with seeds and peat moss in the refrigerator at 34 degrees that I have treated differently to see which might grow if any.

1. Battery acid
A. 1.5 hr
B. 3 hr
2. Nipped with nail clipper
3. Sanded with fine grit sand paper
4. Natural (nothing done to the seed)
5. All of the above (1-4) but will leave out side for 7 weeks in peat moss. Then refrigerate for 500 chill hours.

My question is - Most information I've seen on line says to refrigerate for 3 months then plant. If my blackberry requires 500 chill hours would I not take the seeds out after 21 day in the frig at 34 degrees? Will they spout in the frig?

Thumbnail by catfishhoward Thumbnail by catfishhoward Thumbnail by catfishhoward Thumbnail by catfishhoward Thumbnail by catfishhoward
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Howard-What a fun experiment. I just spent a few unrewarding minutes looking this up, it sounds as if domestic Blackberries are genetic mutts now, so it is hard to find info. I guess you will be the one to figure this out.
However-the stuff I read indicates they will sprout after the cold treatment, not during it. You might take half out after 21 days, leave the rest in longer- When planted and left outside, it seems most Rubus species sprout in the spring.
Are you sure you want them sprouting on Jan 1 (3 months plus 21 days )? Seems kinda early, even in Georgia. Do you have a greenhouse? It does not seem to harm seeds when I forget them in the fridge for an extra month or two.

I did an experiment quite similar to yours, with some Iris foetidissima var lutea. Guess what, the best germination was just putting the whole berries in pots and leaving them out in the weather, in deep shade, for two winters! These ones did germinate during (not after) the second cold period!

Stockbridge, GA

If 500 chill hours in the frig will work at 21 day, I'll take just some of them out on 9-8-15 (put in frig 8-8-15) and plant them in side. I heard they grow slow so by spring I can plant them outside.

I have some also planted out side in a planter 8-8-15 to see if they grow in the spring naturally, I did the acid, sand paper and natural method on them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

You may be interested in reading Dr. Norm Deno's results for germinating various Rubus species. You can Google to find his publications on-line.

Yes, seeds will germinate in the cold and dark, if these are the conditions that break down the germination inhibitors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.