Stenocactus puzzles

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I have aquired another "brain" cactus that added to my others is certainly mucking with my brain. This was labled Echinofossulocactus palmillus, a species I have not been able to find. I guess that this genus is an obsolete name and should be called Stenocactus. If any of you have suggestions about a good source for assisting in the ID for this genus it would be appreciated!

This the latest.

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

The one that I picked up last week...

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I have had this one for some time. It was labled as S. ochoterenanus but does not much match any images I've been able to find.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Have you used: cactiguide.com?

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Echinofossulocactus is the old name for Stenocactus. I guess no one could say or remember the old name. Did you Google just Echinofossulocactus? Lots of cool pictures of cool plants but the Cactiguide says there are only 10 recognized. Do you think someone is hybridizing them just to confuse us more?

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Stenocactus

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Mcvansoest, Yes and I do like the site. They have helped me out of more than one conundrum--not this one however. I do note that in several of the ten species they list for stenocactus they do remark wide variations within the species. Unlike some cacti genera they do not give many clues based on such things as spine or rib count. I do appreciate your input.

Daisy, I do the bing thing and google both depending on whether I'm on my android tablet or on my microsoft system on the desktop. Both give great images. Following the images to their websites one can find nearly as many different species names as photos for very similar photos and then find that many are not even noted in cactiguide as synonyms--at least in this genus. Your comment on hybridization gives pause for thought. Hmm, perhaps an evil botanist mucking about in the cactus genome...? Btw, I enjoy your posts throughout this site!

Bill

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bill!

The other thought I had is that your plants are mature specimens. The photos on the internet are always of the cute and cuddly juveniles before they have taken on their adult characteristics.

For instance, compare your Steno to this one:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ECHINOFOSSULOCACTUS/Echinofossulocactus_caespitosus/Echinofossulocactus_caespitosus/Echinofossulocactus_caespitosus.htm

I Googled "Stenocactus mature specimens"

Daisy

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Daisy, I think you found it! The comments about spination is right on and the pictures look very similar. Mine has over 40 ribs in places on the column depending on where you count. The count is as high as 48. I will use this species at least until I get a bloom. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.