Propeller plant

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

My Propeller plant is blooming and I want it to set seed. After it does set seed, how far down do I deadhead? I've never had a succulent bloom before. Will the plant then die? I currently have it on the front porch but plan on bringing it inside when it starts getting chilly out.

Also, there are two offshoots at the base of the plant. After the mother plant completes blooming, should I take a sharp knife and cut off the offshoots and plant? I haven't dug around in the plant, not wanting to damage roots. Do you know if the offshoots will have roots also or will I need to harden them off prior to planting? Thank you so much for guidance.
Patti

Thumbnail by Tuckersmom
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I don't know if you need two plants to make seed, but it's going to be really small, so get out your magnifying glass when you go looking. :) I think these plants are normally propagated from cuttings. They make those awesome flowers in the summer and then continue growing from branches. Once the flowers have died off, it's pretty easy to tell where to deadhead. The branches can be cut and rooted separately, but I would wait until they are a good size first (next year maybe).

Watch out for bugs on those flowers, by the way. They seem to be real bug magnets.

Chuckle. One magnifying glass coming up. Thank you for your answer. I had never seen one before I bought this at the nursery earlier this year. I will keep my eyes peeled for bugs. Thanks again!

Decatur, GA

I had one of these way back when but it never bloomed. How cool yours is flowering.
Mine put out lots of side shoots and got kind of long and ungainly so I got rid of it. I can be brutal like that. ;-)

I got lucky. I set it in bright indirect light, which it receives from dawn until dusk, and it's been there for a couple months. I had no idea it would bloom. This is my first year gardening, so I haven't reached the brutal stage yet, but I am sure I will.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

My experience is similar to Helen's (long and ungainly) except for the flowers. Under real life conditions, out in the sun, it's not a pretty plant when it's not in bloom. Maybe if you take extra good care of it, you'll see different results. To the plant's credit, it does cope with our annual summer droughts admirably well, given only occasional water. That's why I have not opted for brutal tactics. :) Seems like a survivor to me.

Considering that I only water about every two weeks or so, it is a survivor. It is pretty when it's blooming. I will try to overwinter in the house and we'll see where we go from there. My huge tree is being taken down next month, so it will get plenty of light in a 2nd story south or west window.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.