What's happening in your neck of the woods - Aug. 2015 - ?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I looked at the number of messages in the old thread and decided we needed a new one. You'll find the old one at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383800/

I finally finished uploading all the pictures from my trip to Haida Gwaii. There are three Facebook albums which you can access using these links even if you aren't on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152894828150706.1073741864.581705705&type=1&l=f8db1b7442

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152895584825706.1073741865.581705705&type=1&l=cb81264e52

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152903804935706.1073741866.581705705&type=1&l=8054c140d5

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Victoria Harbour, ON

Thank you Ann

Enjoyed the links, absolutely breathtaking!

You must have felt in another world while walking through the forest
Can only dream of visiting such a destination

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That's beautiful, Ann!
Those fields of moss were particularly weird - don't think I've ever see fields like that before.....

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Out of the heat and humidity for us .. a week of that was WAY too much to take ..
Sorry bout sending it east ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Torrential rain
Off on all day but right now you wouldn't be able to see if you were driving
Boom/band and light show
Best I go unplug the sewing machine and computer downstairs. JUST in case
Jeff is in Tobermory camping with family, not a good week to take fire sure

Summer has just flown hasn't it, before long we will be talking, no let's not go there

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, we're back from camping, and it rained the first night as we were going to sleep.
Then started again last night, so we had some good weather inbetween.
Remy, Bob & I enjoyed our walks. Remy's not pulling on the leash like he used to. Very gentle and well-behaved. I don't think they ever walk him......
And...... it's snowing here! brrrrrrrrr 3 celcius.......

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssnow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our furnace came on this morning .. it was 9C and I had many windows open ..

Sorry to hear about your off n on weather Susan .. but, nice to hear Remy is fitting in well ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Relaxation, were you able to do so Susan? Think when Remy's family come home, he'll not want to stay with them..lots of rain here as well, always find I get mellow when it rains and I'm camping.

You are not saying snow "M" are you, it's just in jest

Tired tonight,calling it a night

Victoria Harbour, ON

Oops double posted

This message was edited Aug 21, 2015 7:32 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

snow stopped here, finally - imagine, in August, yet!!
Anyway, temp's gone from 3c to 5c lol and tomorrow will be 15c! That's Calgary for you lol
Yes, I was able to relax somewhat, Betty.
Remy has already settled in like WE'RE his family. Bob went upstairs to their suite (had to turn on the HEAT!) and Remy never even attempted to look for them. He stayed downstairs with me. Only when I went up to see about helping Bob with the computerized thermostat that Remy whined - he missed both of us. Usually 1 or the other is with him and he's content.
I've contacted the Health & Safety Dept (email) about us having our own heating system in the suite (cannot have portable heaters - against the law & must be 22c in each suite).
Anyway - something will be sorted shortly after Grace & Robert come home - it has to be, by law.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Can't imagine you've seen white stuff Susan, thank goodness it wasn't while you were vacationing.

Does bring to mind it's time to think getting some things done as it won't be long

I always put off taking gazebo top off, putting lawn furniture away and the like, then I do it while freezing, not this year, 1st week of October even if we are having an Indian summer away it goes

Here is hoping I keep to a plan. Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

it's going back to normal temps as of tomorrow, and warming up today.
Thank goodness!

Your weather is headed ino Northern Ontario on Sunday, Susan . MINUS the cold temps .. looks like Wpg had a very stormy day today ..

Lorna got a nw trimmer with multiple and many attachments, so, we are seeing LOTS of dead trees coming down ... not BIG ones, but old apple trees and an Manitoba Maple that will NOY stop popping up an growing, roots have to be under the house by now ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

so, no cold weather, but you're getting snow??

No snow .. cooler temps and rain .. THAT we can handle ..
I do have to say though, that many trees are losing their leaves .. to me, it just seems FAR too early ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We're going back to normal temps, so I'm happy - snow in August is an aberration....

No Susan .. it's CRAZY :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

77 here, rain about to start...I sure didn't get much yard work done this weeken

Looked at extended forecast for upcoming week, 4 rain days out of 7

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol yeah, M - CRAZY is the word for it - guess I'm living in the right city lol
Betty - it's been that way here - rain 4, clear 5, rain 5, clear 3, and so on.......

WOW .. I am so totally mixed up in my days and dates ..
I keep thinking this is the long weekend .. and .. the children here are going back to school Monday or Tuesday .. to me .. back to school means Labour Day has passed.
Anyway, I guess I'll sort it all out in my 'wizzy' little way ..

HIGH temps the next 4 days 29+

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah Marilynne - kids are going back to school earlier and finishing later than we used to. I remember Mid June all exams were done and we had our Sports Field Day, then we got our exam results and we were done! Then, 2nd FULL week of Sept, after Labour Day we went back to school. Now I see people buying school stuff early August and kids going back to school end of August......... I guess the teachers have less "unpaid" days this way?!?! Not being cynical, just curious

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ours here go back a week Tuesday, day after labour day

I'm with you "m" being home all the time you don't know one day from the other

It's a gorgeous day out there 74 and sunshine..didn't look promising earlier today but it's perfect now and more to come

Starting to put a hockey quilt together, hoping to get the back put together today and once I pick up a printer this aft to do photo's I will play with the top

I think we're the same, thing that had me thinking the kids were back in school early, is a Sept. 4th PA day .. guess this 'wizzy old mind' of mine felt that school should at least be in session before the PA days started .. silly me LoL

Saw the 'soon to be quilt' Betty .. wow, so nice .. the hockey one, and, the pattern for the 60th anniv ..

Have I vacuumed yet .. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks, Braedon got his last year and Caleb keeps asking me how I'm doing with his, have everything for it so thought I best get at it

Need a lot of black for the figures for anniversary quilt so might look for some in town this aft. Although there isn't much choice, gives me a place though to look around and ohh and ahh

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Just absolutely wonderful .. you are truly blessed my dear Betty ..

I think the 60th Anniv one will be stunning .. what a marvellous keepsake!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy, lost the entire general discussion forum

Have looked around, can't find it ??

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Guess we will have to wait until they find the glitch

Sounds a plan ..

WAY hot here in TBay .. mid 90s .. thank heaven for central air!

Think I'll scoot off to bed ..

Hope all is well in the morning :

Don't realize what you have (and like) until you lose it !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'm right behind you with my Jammies..we were both up early

Tonight I will remember to take pain meds but first I think an ice cream cone is in order

HAPPY AUTUMN :-)

Haven't been in here for a bit .. happy to say that I have ONLY good news from my little part of Canada ..
Lorna won fFIRST PLACE in Thunder Bays Civic Beautification Awards .. and does she deserve it !
Have a couple of pics ..

DH is still waiting for his carpal tunnel surgery DATE .. since June 17! Canada should be ashamed of these wait times...

Our 22yr old kitter puss, Smokey, is nearing the rainbow Bridge
Sad ...

Gardens are coming in .. lotsa fruit and veggies to put up ..

Hope everyone is well

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS Thumbnail by MarilynneS
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hooray for Lorna!! Congratulations, girl!!!!!!!!

yes, wait times suck. I got an "urgent" MRI scheduled in April, for Dec 29th (yes, this year lol)
22 years is a good long life. Indoor cats live longer because they're cared for....

I'm gonna come by for some veggies and fruit - gotta warn ya!!! lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

What an accomplishment, against all odds..she is a brave lady.

Don't have the heat on but likely could, damp

Have 3 gals fron cincinnatti (DG member Joycet) coming to visit..about 5 miles left to drive, they will be tired, long drive
They want to see fall colours

Saturday we will take a ride to Huntsville/Bracebridge in hopes 100 miles north of here will have color

Hope your visit goes well Betty ..
We haven't much colour here yet .. have leaves falling though ..

Susan, about all that's left is Kale and potatoes, cabbage and carrots :-)
This past summer has been AMAZING for growing .. most especially tomatoes and cucumbers !

Enjoy the fall

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Don't think our farmers had the best of crops, know berries were not plentiful.
Do you have a cold cellar for potatoes/carrots? I had one when we lived at the lake..Roger had shelving for about 500 jars then 4 large bins, cement area under cement deck..had a fan for ventilation, worked well. Sure miss his canning..

Don't want to wake the gals, thinking of tip toe'ing to get downstairs..maybe they should not have told me they brought me a drilled rock, pump and all the fixing for a water feature, I so admired Joyce's..excitement keeping me awake. Lol

No ..no 'cold room', I share most of it ..

Hope your day went well .. not TOO crazy :-)

~M~

Happy Thanksgiving to all the CANADIAN GARDENERS :-)

~M~

PS .. GO JAYS !!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Marilyn. Thanksgiving in Canada happens all weekend. We ate yesterday and today may ben the last of the perfectly gorgeous gardening days. :-) I send my own greetings to each of you for a happy Thanksgiving.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian neighbours and Happy Columbus Day to everyone in the US! :-)

Just pulled out one very large bed of Impatiens .. then the Hosta bed ..
Feel like I do when I put down the Christmas tree .. kinda sad ..

Had our 'roast of beastie' yesterday .. DH had purchased a turkey while in WI a couple of months ago .. OH MY .. it was absolutely beautiful .. I do think I will use the counter top roaster more often!

Guess we are all hanging on and awaiting the 'S' . No stopping it ..

Stay well everyone

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.