Fall 2015 Plant Swap Potluck Food Thread

Frederick, MD

Yeah... along with the steak, I'll be grilling onions, mushrooms, green peppers and zucchini.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds yummy!

Frederick, MD

Let's just hope the cow tongue is nice and tender.

I KID !!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm sure someone would eat that.

Frederick, MD

I would try it. I've tried some pretty strange foods in my travels around the world.... I've had alligator, snake, goat, kangaroo, raw squid, raw octopus, fried squirrel, and pretty sure after a late night in South Korea, I had a burger that was not from a cow (I won't say it as to not offend some pet lovers).

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hmm...sounds interesting. I'm not one to try new weird foods. My digestive system already has a general dislike for me, I don't want to push it over the edge. The weirdest meat I've had was antelope. I will try various types of fish though, as long as they're cooked. I'm not into that sushi type stuff.

Frederick, MD

Antelope... yeah, never tried that one. I'm not a fan of Sushi either, even after 4 years in Japan. I stick to the California Rolls. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

My wife loves California rolls but I think they're gross.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have never liked sushi either---it is not the filling as much as I do not like rice.

NOW--Cow tongue is a VERY delicious part of the beef.!!!
It has am amazing flavor...lots of fat in it too. Prepare it as you would a beef roast--
then slice it thinly and munch away.

Tongue slices can be found in Blood Sausage also. This may not appeal to some.

I also love Head Cheese lunch meat! It has a nice vinegary tang to it. It is made from all the
ears and snouts and leftover things one finds on the head of a pig. Cut up--sliced up..etc
When made into a sausage and cooked and then cooled--is sliced as lunch meat.
It is all held together in a very stiff gelatin. As you know--all these collegian rich parts
release a lot of gelatin when cooked. And when cooled--it sets in a hard gelatin .

Oh, well--I am from Europe and love all these things. You can find these in any German Deli.

There is a German Meats place near me. People from many ethnicities make the trek
to this small place for all their festival meats. Great sausages and Wursts.
You have not eaten a good Liverwurst till you have theirs. MMMM--like a Pate!

http://www.binkerts.com/

Washington, DC

Newbie here. Will bring two bottles of award-winning homemade wine. Cab/Merlot blend.

Washington, DC

Newbie is back. Will bring cold potato salad, made with home-grown taters. (May need to supplement.) Bought seed taters from Philadelphia Flower Show.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Sweet! See you there 'newbie' :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Lisa--I know you will love hanging around with us all--we are a nice bunch.

Home made wine???? is it a little bit sweet??

Looking forward to meeting you. Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Looking forward to meeting you, Lisa! Homemade wine sounds wonderful!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Homemade wine and homegrown potatoes?! I'm impressed : - )
I'm glad you decided to join us!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Looking forward to meeting you, Lisa

Washington, DC

Gita, the wine is a Bordeaux-style blend. Dry and very low sulfites. This year's release is named Chateau Lisa.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

This might be a really stupid question, but....are the grapes grown at Chateau Lisa Winery in Missouri (yes, I'm a Google Fanatic!)?

Washington, DC

Hey Muddy. Funny, I had never heard of Chateau Lisa Winery before.
Grapes for our Chateau Lisa come from Lodi, CA, via a fruit/veg vendor In Jessup. I did have Foch vines growing in the garden once, hoping to harvest for wine-making. Awful results. Ultimately made vinegar.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

What a coincidence! I'm looking forward to tasting Chateau Lisa : - )

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Just now noticed the food thread. I'll bring a dessert, not quite sure what yet.

Frederick, MD

yeah, Pat, those stickied threads are hard to find ! LOL... messin' with ya. As I tell my coworkers, you should only be concerned if I don't mess with you, that means I don't like you much. haha

And you're apparently not the only one that didn't see it, only about half of the folks coming have spoken up in this thread so far.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I just saw a recipe for Margarita Cupcakes, they sound really yummy, might have to make them...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam!
Great observation! I have LONG believed in the fact that, you only "mess with"--
or have fun with--Joke with, etc.....with people you like.
NEVER with people you do not like or have problems with.

SOOOO---IF someone "funning" with you--they like you. Simple fact of life...

May be a great mental exercise in observing Human dynamics.....
It is an "Open Book" if you know what to look for--or how to interpret behaviors.

Dr. Gita..:o)

Frederick, MD

Yeah.... I say it half jokingly but I mean it... I would never playfully mess with people I don't like ! :)

I'll bring a case of small water bottles.

Frederick, MD

Thanks, Catmint. I was/am going to supply bottled water so that really helps me out. :)

thanks, Cam--glad it works out! :-)

Mechanicsburg, PA

I'm undecided about what to bring. Everything sounds terrific! If I make a dessert, I'll try to make it gluten free.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I'll be bringing something from my Farmers Market...probably the Thai Kraut and some of those pickled carrots I brought to Spring Swap. May also bring some Great Harvest bread and a boat load of cherry tomatoes to snack on pre kabobs.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

blossom---
How about an appetizer? Don't think we have any yet. Except donner's dumplings.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

CAM, Gita's right about the lack of appetizers. I'll bring some cheese and crackers as well as a mixed green salad (and of course the sangria, can't forget that even though Lisa is bringing Chateau Lisa!)

Frederick, MD

All: I already have two pounds of cubed cheese and a very large Summer Sausage to carve up for appetizers. I was also going to get crackers so thank you, Muddy, for bringing those.

If anyone else wants to bring pre-meal munchies, let me know and I'll not worry about getting more stuff.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Grapes!

Frederick, MD

Good idea, thank you, Judy !

Any other chocolate addicts among us ? I'll put out some mixed chocolates.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Blossom! Chocolate addicts he says...LOL Does a bear crap in the woods?

Frederick, MD

I have no proof of that either way but I'll say yes.

Is Speedie fast ?

Does David have a green thumb ?

Does Muddy like to play in the mud ?

Does Aspen live on a hill ?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll post what I'm bringing after/if I get to Wegman's tonight... :-)

I'm still planning on bringing cookies, but whether or not I make home-made peanut cookies depends on how much I can get done tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.