Chasing my tail....

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I just added 6 new cacti to my collection. They are exciting to me as they represent drastic new textures for the greenhouse. Two, I believe, are correctly identified. I'll show these first then the others.

Ortegocactus macdougalii and Rebutia heliosa.

The chasing my tail part comes into play as I spend hours trying to id the other four!

Thumbnail by rockminer Thumbnail by rockminer
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

This one is labeled Weingartia neocummingii v. brevispina. Neither google nor bing finds anything remotely resembling the one I have.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Tag on this one says Copiadoa species. Absolutely no hits on that either! It is pushing a bud so with any luck I'll have another identification feature.

Thumbnail by rockminer
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

This is Stenocactus--but I get lost in the multitude of variations. Still like the little bugger.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Last is a really tidy, colorful and tightly spined cactus. A mamm perhaps?

The first two and the last two are in 4 inch pots and the others are in 4 1/2 inch pots.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Last plant looks like Echinocereus rigidissimus subsp. rubispinus.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69815/#b

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Baja, Thanks, looks right on. Wow! Can't wait for this one to bloom. They are spectacular.

Bill

This message was edited Aug 4, 2015 1:52 AM

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I think maybe the tag on the 4th cactus says Copiapoa. Perhaps C. cinerea. Cactiguide shows a lot of variation. Any opinions?

Bill

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

I'm quite certain that Copiapoa is the correct genus. The flower popped this morning.

Bill

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Fully open!

Thumbnail by rockminer
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Yep! That is definitely a Copiapoa bloom.

Menasha, WI

rockminer, Those are great plants. Love the Copiapoa. Did you get them from a local retailer? cll

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

cactusloverlady, I traded cuttings from my repotting frenzy this year to a friend who bought out a socal cactus and succulent nursery. I have been able to pick off some of his "oddballs". There are far more than I will ever have room for so am trying to select new textures and colors for my collection. I am blessed to have a source like this available to me.

Bill

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I think Weingartia neocummingii may be your plant. Its the v. brevispina that causes problems. There seems to be a lot of variability. I don't suppose you know what color it blooms?

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Rebutia&species=neocumingii

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Hi Daisy, Thanks for your effort and response. I have not seen this one flower. There were some dead and dried evidence of flowers when I picked this up and they were around the sides and bottom typical of Rebutia. Is Weingartia an old name or a new one? Bless those taxonomists anyway.

Bill

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I think the new name is Rebutia but don't quote me. I find it all very confusing and I can't say I agree with the change - it doesn't quite fit. I wish they would stop messing around with all the plant names. I have to keep learning the new ones but the cactus I had BEFORE their names were changed are keeping the old names.

Daisy

Menasha, WI

rockminer, You are lucky to have a supply of gems like the ones you have pictured.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.