New plants

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Some plants I bought at the C & S show in St Louis. My first Dyckia 'silver sheen'. Gasteraloe cv 'midnight'. Aloe 'raspberry delight'. And Euphoria bupleurfolia.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Congratulation. All beautiful....

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I love that fat Euphorbia- it looks like a pineapple.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Great plants! I agree that the euphorbia is way cool.

Bill

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Those plants look choice, well cared for. My silver Dyckias are always dying off at the tips, probably because they don't get enough water.

So you know, that Euphorbia is a little needy about light, so try to find it a relatively bright spot for the winter (which seems to be its preferred growth period).

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Baja, the Dyckia does have a few tips that look like they are dying off. Thanks for the tip on the Euphorbia. First one of these also.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Here's a few of the plants at the show.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Here's a few of the plants at the show.

Wow, gorgeous plants, good diversity. I see a lot of plain clay pots, those must work well in the climate there.

While we're at it, some Euphorbia pictures, three plants on the patio. They are just now leafing out for the summer. First two (boy and girl) are baby seedlings, third is their father. Looks like a few unwelcome visitors on that first plant, nothing a squirt of soap water can't take care of.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Great plants at the show! I have tried to grow E. bupleurfolia twice and killed it both times! I do love it though.
Baja: you have some great ones there. Love the daddy plant! Here's one of my favorite Euphorbias:
I don't know why it went in sideways. The picture isn't on my computer. Something is wrong on Dave's Garden. I have noticed this a lot lately.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

smashedcactus thanks for sharing those photos from the show.
Now I have lot more plants to find for my collection!

Baja_Costero your Euphorbias are great plants and they are on the top of my "want" list.

I'm sorry to hear that Nancy, was it the heat? Or something else? For whatever reason they do okay here, though some days are definitely better than others (moody plant).

Cristina, it's one of my favorites because of the way it looks. If you have trouble finding plants for sale, they should be easy to grow from seed (big seed = fast start, age at transplant = 3 months). The babies in the pictures are half the age of the father plant, which is around 6 years old. So it doesn't take a lifetime to grow one. :) And they will flower as early as the first or second set of true leaves.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Baja: I don't know how they died. Could have been the heat. Of course, I blame the heat for everything!! I have several other Euphorbias of that type that do fine. I wish I could figure it out! I usually try a plant a second time, but 2 strikes and out!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Baja, I grow most of mine in in clay pots. I've lost too many in the glazed ones. Probably the high humidity we have here. The golden barrel cactus is the one I have trouble growing. I've had four smaller ones die on me. I finally got this bigger one and have kept it alive for about four years now.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beautiful plant, Gary! We have so many golden barrels here in the Phoenix area! They do great!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I have killed everyone I ever planted. I gave up on Golden Barrels years ago. I must be missing something basic in their care.

That is a nice looking golden barrel. Mine has been through a lot and looks pretty thrashed but keeps on going. I give it as much sun as possible (basically all day). It's actually pretty thirsty for a cactus.

Looks like you also get to enjoy one of my least favorite tasks: weeding around super-sharp spines. :)

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

You're looking at the good side. I set it out a little too early last year and fried it. It's starting to look better now. Baja, ibought a set of three long needle nose pliers. It makes the job a little easier.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

My husband found me a long nosed surgical clamp after he got tired of the complaining. OW, Ow, ow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.