August Blooms 2015

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna many are still going. Been very busy.
Genesta - spreading her wings.
Bermuda Coral - LFO
Yellow Lollipop - reblooming
On And On - one of three clumps that's reblooming.
Apricot Sparkles - reblooming

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Apricot Sparkles - multiple blooms.
Substantial Evidence - LFO
Star Lane
Look Here Mary
Sandra Elizabeth - pic with the three blooms was up to par.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genesta - blooming on a 2014 prolif which is now two fans.
One Last Pie
Stella's Pink Pretty
French Lingerie - last flower on lone rebloom scape.
Thoralla - LFO

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Iris Immortality - reblooming
Final Touch
Prairie Wildfire - LFO
Salvia 'Faye Chapel' - Going none stop for the hummers.
Endless Heart

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Baloon Flower with Persian Shield in the background.
Stella's Ruffled Fingers
Stella's Ruffled Fingers - spent scapes from one of two clumps. You might get between 8-13 blooms on a scape, but with over thirty scapes thus far, you do the math. Plant performance must be considered with bud count. I wonder how many fancy Tet did that well ?
Humble Heart - LFO. One of my Region 2 single bloom submission for the photo contest.
Big Snowbird - two year old prolif.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Vivid Heart - LFO on lone rebloom scape.
One of several potted plants around here.
Fruit Loops - LFO
Ruby Stella - LFO
Pack Hunter - LFO

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

That's a real nice shot of Big Snowbird. My Ruby Stella bloomed a long time for me this year. Very pretty Mike, somebody does a lot of work at your house.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Bermuda coral - few days before the LFO. Talk about going out with a BANG!
Kanai Sensei - reblooming
Big Time Happy
Seedling - LFO. Moving this one this fall.
Samurai Tricyrtis - new this spring and taking off.

FYI, future post will go in as September Blooms. Anyone can start the thread.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Robin, I don't know about you but I will recover over the winter. LOL!! There is still a lot to catch up on.
Going to get some shut eye now.

Yeah, I recover during the winter...

only because I'm moping.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that seedling you have Mike, and Prairie Wildfire, and French Lingerie, and GENesta.... I think I NEED that one! LOL..... Beautiful blooms and they sure brighten up my day! Almost nothing left in bloom here...the heat has taken its toll and although I am watering the plants don't seem to respond as well. We were supposed to get rain 2 days ago but none so far. I have lost several plants - hopefully the Daylilies are tough enough that they have survived. I have a few that seem to be trying to green back up now that the temps are no longer in the triple digits.

Wow, Arkansa had triple digits...how's the humidex in those temps?

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have or know where to buy a daylily with the name Jason in it? I lost my nephew yesterday and would like to plant one in memory of him. Thanks for any help you may give me. Kathy

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathy I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. I will do some digging/looking for you.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy, I hopped over to AHS and did a search for Jason anywhere in the name. Came up with " Jason " and "Jason's Flower". First one was intro in 1944 and the second in 1999. OK, let's see if we can get lucky.

So sorry to hear Kathy, thoughts and prayers go out to you...

There's a Daylily called 'Jason Salter'.
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/photo/65621/

And a Daylily called 'Jason Mark'.
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/24632/Daylily-Hemerocallis-Jason-Mark/

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Robin and Mike will look for the Jason Mark one as Mark is his Dad's name

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about you losing a nephew. I know that must be hard. I have never heard of that DL so I can't help you with it, but I sure hope you are able to find it!

Robin, Arkansas, unfortunately, has lots of triple digit weather - and LOTS of upper 90s during the summer with horrible humidity. It is really the humidity that gets me - I can handle fairly high temps if the humidity will just stay down, but it rarely does. Our heat index usually runs 5 - 7 degrees above the "air" temp because of the humidity. Back 3 summers ago, we had a streak of close to 30 days of temps ABOVE 110! I know one day my son called me because his "AC wasn't working".....actually it was working, but he has a heat pump and the outside air temp was 115~~ I don't think I ever remember it being that hot before! I felt like I was in the Arabian desert or something! LOL.... well, I can laugh now, but I just didn't venture outside at the time!

Today it was only 88 at lunch when I went out - and although it is muggy because of some very light rain we got yesterday the temps didn't feel too bad! I watered again last night after the rain because it didn't even settle the dust. :(

You're welcome Kathy good luck finding your DL.

Wow Genna, I don't think I'll be moving to Arkansas, I can barely breathe sometimes with Michigan humidity.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Nope, this is NOT the direction to move unless its the dead of winter - but even then our humidity makes the cold bad too - just thankfully normally it isn't that cold! At least if you are going to deal with humidity you should be at the beach or something! LOL

Is it just me (my inexperience) or does 'Autumn King' have the perfect form for a Daylily? I'm talking about Post #10128039
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=10128039&extraimg=2
I hope the link works. In my mind, this DL's sepals and petals have the best width and length with just a slight recurve to them. Would this picture just be an anomaly or would all the blooms be basically the same?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

It is pretty - I love the color, but I would say as many different shapes and sizes that there are - not to even mention colors - the "perfect" one is probably subject to much debate! Unfortunately, I tend to love them ALL.... LOL

So it is just me, I'm not saying I don't love them all for one reason or another. Some I'm just more smitten with than others. That one seems to be really simple and elegant.

The cool thing about these threads is you get look at them again and again...they're always in bloom. And it's out of the heat!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL@ Genna !
Robin that is the normal form to go with high bud count. It set a pod as easy as 1,2,3. I pollinated it with a few late bloomers. Trying to add some red to the yellow. Imagine !

Thanks Mike, 'Autumn King' holds a standard as a pod parent, high bud count and form. That info is like gold to someone that wants to get into hybridizing. Wow.

My Step Father was an Executive Chef and in order to find out what ingredients went into a dish, I had to follow him around his kitchen on the sly and watch. Even to family members, that information was not shared. It's called 'professional jealousy'.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Robin, I can send you some AK seeds when they are ready in a few weeks. There is no way I can plant all of these seeds. I have seeds from last season in the fridge.

Mike, I'd absolutely love some of the AK seeds. THANKS!
Do you have Ruby Stella? She looks as good as (I'm reading) AK's functionality and I can send you a fan if you don't have one.

If you already have 'Ruby Stella, I can send you some Plumbago, it's a really pretty, vibrant mid blue. I bet you don't have much blue in your fabulous gardens. You know, a little something to fill in some spaces.

Not that you have any spaces...

Thumbnail by Mipii Thumbnail by Mipii
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Robin, Plumbago is a beauty. I would love to add that to my garden. I have four clumps of Ruby Stella. Posted a pic of her in this thread on Sept, 1st.
Speaking of blue.
Hop over here!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1404902/

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.