Huge Tan Grasshoppers

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Is anyone seeing these insect ,and what are you doing to get rid of them.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Haven't seen any here yet but if I do will dance on them like I do the colorful lubbers that eat plants to pieces in no time. Surprising you have a bug we don't have. I call Fl. the leading bug state.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry I was asking about this for one of my friends that lives in Orlando.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

cytf, they are in my garden this year, the first time I've seen them in the 20 plus years in my garden. I've always seen them while out hiking in the grassy areas.
I've killed about six this year in my garden. They ate all my amaryllis and spider lilies down to nothing, and I had no blooms this year. I cut them in half with my garden shears. They are easy to kill since they don't move very fast. You can drown them also. Pesticides don't work on adults. Here is an article about them and management:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/lubber.htm

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm only 23 miles from Orlando. Sunkissed is even closer to Orlando. Gee SK
I hope we don't get any here. Got enough bugs and those lousy lubber grasshoppers.
Oh well this seems to be a real buggy year. At least I'm not fighting fleas for now. I am prepared with a spray for them that works. Exterminator didn't do any good.

Just read your link SK and related to multicolor lubbers looks like. Got a sharp pair of scissors that will cure them.

Saw a black snake eating one yesterday, another good reason to keep good snakes in the garden.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Saw a black snake on a plant this morning and he fell into the bird bath. He's about 4 feet and when I ran out he had disappeared. So happy to have 1 again.

I saw one eating a Cuban Frog and the frog was screaming like a cat. Really weird sound. They say those frogs are invasive and killing the green frogs so guess that was a good thing.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I've only seen 1 Cuban tree frog so far this year and I got him with my frog stomper stick. They do eat native frogs plus anything else they can get into their mouths. I'm so glad to have a black snake back. I'm still killing lubbers wherever I see them. They defoliate a plant in a morning. Oh well, joys of gardening.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

hello.
I am in Oviedo and I work at Mead Botanic Garden down the road in Winter Park where we have been dispatching lubbers like crazy. We are trying to keep them out of the orchid greenhouse. They seem to love the crinums, the leaves from amaryllis, and a few have been found on our pink bananas. There don't seem to be too many here in Oviedo and I am not growing much of anything they are interested in. But I keep my eyes open.
Martha

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

can you drown the adult Lubbers like you can do the babies?

when those nasty little things came out of the ground this spring, I scooped them up and dumped them in soapy water. I must have killed hundreds of them.

I should be back home in about 5 weeks, and I hope NOT to see too many of them. I know I do have a lot of local snakes, so I hope they are making nice snacks out of the grasshoppers and Cuban frogs, if I have those too.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

put some old garden shoes on and do the mashed potatoe on the large ones. they don't die easy. when I can reach I cut them in 1/2 with garden scissors. they are so destructive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.