Green Grape Tomato Seeds

Somerset, CA(Zone 7b)

I tried to save seeds from my Green Grape tomatoes this morning, from two plants. The seeds were all too small to be viable. I found a couple seeds that were a little larger in the ripest tomatoes--only a couple--and they were pretty small still. Does anyone know if Green Grape seed is smaller than normal? And/or do you have to wait until the tomato, of this variety in particular, is overripe or nearly rotting to get good sized seeds? I've saved many tomato seeds over the years, but this variety has me stumped.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

If the tomato is ripe I would expect the seeds should be viable. Save them, let them dry and then test them on paper towels to see if they germinate. They may just naturally have very small seeds. I have often been surprised at the size of seeds from different tomatoes! Let us know how it turns out!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Fermint the seeds and the ones that sink are viable.

Take quart wide mouth jar fill half full of water
hold hand full of T and smash them to a pulp.
stirl well and let sit covered with kitchen wrap it will stink.
let sit until a white scum grows on top.
Stir well and let sit by now you should see seeds on the bottom after a day stir well and let sit a hour or so.
fill jar with clean water.
pour of the solids and fill jar with water again stir well and let sit.
pour the top half of the water off and fill jar again.
Repeat above step till the water is clear maybe 6-8 times.
By now all the seeds on the bottom are good.
Dump seeds on a paper plate to dry.
as they dry stir them around to keep them from sticking together.

Somerset, CA(Zone 7b)

Thanks. I am leaving them on the vine longer, until they are really ripe. The seeds were just too small--immature, actually--to try to save them. I will cut one open soon and let you know what I find.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Well what did you find ? inquiring minds want to know.

Somerset, CA(Zone 7b)

I have needed to leave these on really long to produce mature seed.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Yes, the seeds of Green Grape are very small and if the fruits are close to ripe then the seeds are fine and then just process the seeds however you want to.

I prefer fermentation and after doing so for close to 4,000 varieties and you can bet that I know how to do it by now.LOL

There are other methods but I see drawbacks to them, especially the oxidative methods.

Carolyn

Somerset, CA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Carolyn. I do ferment and have been doing so for almost 20 years. But for some reason, the first ripe tomatoes of these Green Grape tomatoes just didn't seem to have viable seeds. Perhaps they weren't quite ripe. After that, I only picked very ripe or over ripe ones and they seemed to be okay. 4000 varieties! I'll say you have experience! Thanks for answering my question.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.