Which potting mix for winter sowing?

(Patti) Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Yesterday, I bought two large bags of the MG potting mix with moisture control. I thought I had read on this form that that was a good one. This morning, I was on the web, and found a site that said do NOT use MG with moisture control. Do I need to take this back? I've never use this method before, so I'm definitely a newbie. Thank you.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

The reason you don't want the moisture control is the soil will be too wet and your seeds will rot.

You definitely should get a "seed starting soil". It's usually labeled as Seed and Cutting" Soil.

It's sterile. Jiffy makes one and so does Fertilome.

I don't know which seeds your are going to try to grow. It's really good if you do research for each different seed you want to grow. Some seeds need stratification (cold and moisture) for several weeks before they will germinate. Some seeds need to be Scarified (chipped or filed). Some seed should be placed on the top of the soil, and some in darkness.

So, it's really good to research your particular seed.

Thank you. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Your most welcome. If you have other questions, just ask around on this forum. I'm not sure why you haven't rec'd an answer yet. I think it's because the "winter sowing" season is over until well, next winter! :) Anyway, if you have questions, ask. I have done winter sowing for years with good success.

I am really looking forward to this. I have milk jugs hanging from the garage ceiling rafters on ropes. LOL

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

All I can say is do your homework, and you will have better success.

Natick, MA

I agree with birder, and it IS exciting...Last summer i "discovered" the wintersowing method and couldn't WAIT to try it this past winter...I overdid on the containers/sowing and was planting out til July1! It's been so rewarding to watch things grow and a bunch of my plants are blooming (some wont bloom this year as they are not first year blooming perennials). Let us know how you make out! It's always great to share experiences!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

It seems if you have success with winter sowing, you get way too much. At least, that's been my experience. I have begged people to take some of my little plants--kind of like the zucchini grower!

I have never gardened before. I have stuck the occasional plant in the ground, but really did not have a vested interest. This year, for the first time, I decided to try my hand at tomatoes. Maybe it was beginners luck, but I'm loving watching these grow, I have been delighted by the outcome. I love BLTs. LOL

I keep reading how everyone overdoes it when they begin. I already know I will be one of those people. My yard is not huge, but it's mine to do with as I please. I see lots and lots of flowers in my future. I have already ordered multiple packs of seeds – everything from viola to echinacea, morning glory, Linux narbonense, papaver, verbascum, Columbine, liatris, yarrow, hollyhocks, flax, phlox, and milkweed. I have many more seeds as well. I deliberately bought both annuals and perennials, knowing the perennials often don't bloom until the second year. I also I'm researching carefully to see which are toxic, as I have a Labrador.

When I moved into this house in 1997, I transplanted lavender and three peonies from my former residence. I just got lucky because I didn't know what I was doing. I dug holes, stuck them in the ground and called it good? They all thrived.

I'm really not to worried about this being successful. I have read a lot, both here and on other sites. Besides, from what I saw on the WS thread, you guys are so supportive of each other and so knowledgeable, how can a person go very wrong? I had no doubt that someone would answer me eventually and set me off on the right path. I had a feeling there was a problem with the moisture control before I even saw it mentioned elsewhere. Thanks to you guys, and specifically birder17, this stuff will be going back tomorrow. Thank you for all of your comments. I really do appreciate it. Gymgirl almost has me believing I can grow tomatoes from seed. I really would like to try an heirloom next year. Thanks again!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

T'smom, Since you are starting out. I would like to caution you about plants that will take over your garden and cause you grief for years to come. There's a forum called Invasive Plants. Read some of it before you get started. So many of us have had to learn the hard way. One particular thread called You Wish You Hadn't Planted--Your So Glad You Did. This is a good one to read. Lots of good information there.
I hope your flowers and garden/s bring you good luck and happiness. I'm sure they will.

I did not realize we had that forum. Thank you. I have been fighting my neighbors Ivy for many years now. It's not something I enjoy.

Natick, MA

Tmom,
So glad you're excited about gardening and starting all those seeds. You've found "your people" here and so many great gardeners are happy to chime in if you have any questions. I have found it a GREAT source of info and commisseration on our love for gardening/flowers! :o)

Growing tomatoes from seeds is not that hard. I never did it before this spring either; I started them under the "under cabinet lights" in my kitchen (having no real light setup) and when they got a few leaves, I transplanted them to grow bags and put them in my living room window and they thrived! By plantout time, they were good size, remember to plant them deeper each time you plant them so that they have a long root system, not just at soil level as you would normally plant most flowers, etc. And beleive me, If I can do it, YOU can too :o)

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Good luck Tuckersmom, you'll be coaching other beginner gardeners in no time!

Neshkoro, WI

We live in zone 4/5 (its complicated) and are making plans for our first "winter sowing". We will be using milk jugs.
We have selected about 25 perennials, some need stratification- some don't, some need light to germinate-some don't.
It would make this project too cumbersome to attempt to customize each jug (just lazy) and am hoping for some guidance on how to make a generalized potting mix for all the seed varieties.
I know this approach will cause some seed to fail but am ready for that and will attempt to replace those failures next year with new varieties.

What is in your homemade mix?

Look at what I did! People are talking about winter sowing in August – yeah hey!

This will be my year of initiation into winter sowing. I know some people make their own potting mix. Hopefully, someone will jump in here soon and answer your question.

Are you as excited as I am? IMHO, you are showing considerable restraint. I already have 50 packets of seed and want more. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, as I'm sure that's what it will be when it's time to plant out. LOL

I am in the same situation as you are as to different requirements needed by various seeds. It is my understanding that you don't need to worry about stratification. The freeze thaw cycles will take care of that for you. I'm sure if I am wrong about that, someone will step up and straighten me out. I'm pretty sure I'm right though.

I will be following along to find out what the answer to your question about the home made mix is.
Patti

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

In a few months I plan to use winter sowing for the first time in Zone 6a so I have a basic question for more experienced WS gardeners. I'd planned to use recycled gallon milk jugs but all I buy are white instead of the older translucent ones. Will these provide enough light and if not what other recycled containers have others used successfully? Thanks for any help.

Neshkoro, I will be using damp vermiculite, here's an article by a wonderful DGer, she also sells some really interesting seeds;
http://www.seedsite.eu/articles/sowing

Tuckersmom, yes you are right about WS and stratification, the point is to let nature do it in a controlled environment.

Irishmist, I use clear containers with lids and no holes (see above link). I then stack those containers into larger bins that are transparent too. some people use the clear plastic shoeboxes. I bought a bunch that nest nicely from Walmart...and I reuse them every year.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Everyone has their own method of seed sowing, and they work for them. There's no hard set rules.
Al: I use Pro Mix Seed Starting Mix. It works great for me. You have to look for the words "seed starting or cutting" on the bag. Two other brands are Jiffy Mix and Fertilome. If I am starting some seeds indoors, I sometimes put vermiculite or perlite on the surface. There are some seeds that do better being sown indoors vs winter sowing. One is heliotrope.

I my opinion, perennials do better being winter sown than annuals.

I use opaque milk jugs and distilled water jugs. I pick them up at our local recycle center. I have kept them in the past to re-use, this year I just tossed them. I cut around UP TO the handle leaving the handle for a hinge and use duck tape to close them. I put a labeled piece of a blind taped on the inside and one taped to the outside. That't it in a nutshell.

I don't have as good of luck using smaller containers than milk jugs. Robin's way sounds easier.

"Pro Mix", is that Walmart? I looked for it when I was there yesterday, but had no luck.

Robin, what a wonderful link! Thank you – you just cost me money. LOL I am so thankful seeds are cheaper than plants.

Patti

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi y'all!

Yes it is that time of year again. The ordinary gardeners are resting, but we WinterSowers are starting to look to another exciting winter of seeds!

So-
Use a seed starting mix or regular plain bagged potting soil, and don't worry about it too much. I got a huge bale (compressed) of Pro-Mix HP (HP stands for high porosity so it drains real well). It is designed for commercial application, so no little bags will be found. I got mine at an "Indoor Gardening" store, which I suspect caters to the growers of MJ. I slipped in and paid cash, but I am probably on some watch list somewhere now...

Part of the draw of winter sowing for me is that mother nature takes care of stratifying for me. Just plant the seeds in your jugs, and put them out in the weather. I have now even sprouted seeds of a species of Iris that has a "double dormancy", so it sprouted during the SECOND winter out in the milk jug.

I didn't have great success with opaque milk jugs-had the same question as irish mist. But some things did sprout. This year I will try 1 gallon vinegar jugs I got from my house cleaner, to see if that is any better. They certainly are sturdier. I will report back about it. I have placed a link below to my thread I started about the opaque milk jugs.

Interestingly, by having the jugs out where rain washes through he "soil" and seeds, it seems to mean sometimes you don't even have to prepare seeds like recommended- I did a little experiment with the Iris foetidissima seeds, to see if it helped to scarify, or if removing the seed from the berry flesh was really necessary. In this particular case the best germination I got was the whole berries I planted-talk about easy!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1339757/

Lol Patti, I'm glad to be a full fledged enabler. ; )

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I buy my Pro Mix from Menard's. Yes, it's a compressed bale. I told you wrong with the Pro Mix. I use it as a potting mix. I use the Fertilome Seed and Cutting medium for the seed starting. I use Pro Mix year around for potting plants. I buy the bale and put it in a big tote. Other very successful seed starters use Jiffy Mix with great results and that can be purchased at Wal Mart.

Thank you birder17. Now I know what to look for and where to look for it. LOL Although I do use miracle grow a lot, I can't help but think that there's something I might like better out there. I guess it's time for me to try a little experimenting.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Your most welcome. I definitely wouldn't use Miracle Grow.

I get the Fertilome from a local garden center. Get your seed starter mix early; they sell out.
The same with some seeds; popular ones sell out.

I'm starting my list. I will order in early December.

I am really going to show my ignorance here. Please remember, this is my first year of gardening in my entire life. Ignorance is the norm – but I'm learning!

Fertilome is available in a 16 quart size. Will 16 quarts make 16 milk jugs, or closer to 64 milk jugs, if the soil is 4 inches deep? I guess my question is this: is there a formula to determine how much mix you need? My local garden center currently has seven of the 16 quart sized bags. If I want plant 50 jugs, should I have them order another seven bags? I would rather have too much then to run out and not be able to get more. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Patti

Bump

Patti, I would measure the bottom length and width of the container or milk jug. Multiply that by the number of jugs you plan on using, then multiply that by 4 for the 4" material you said you'll be filling. Convert that number into quarts.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2015 12:07 AM

Hot Diggity Dog! I just KNEW there had to be a formula and this is it! I'm doing the happy dance here. Thank you, thank you.
Patti

Lol, it's all because you learned the bump...

It would seem, in this particular case, the bump is the happy dance. It has started bringing our posts back where they need to be – and it got me my answer!
Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.