FIRST FLOWERS OF MID SUMMER 2015

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We are coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1399290/#new

Don't be shy MAG'ers!!! I know there's a bunch of you not posting pics! I want to see your stuff =)

NOID freebie Oriental Lily, very beautiful, anyone got a name for it??
David Phlox
Blue ageratum
Rebecca Pom Pom dahlia

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Jeff, maybe the hybrid "Universe"? (that Lily.. by the way).

Gita, never fear, I enjoyed those photos in your last link VERY much! WOW!!!!!!

OK, yes, I've got a photo to share. ;)
Remember about a week or so back, that rescued Dianthus I posted a shot of, just budding? (she's a Neon Star, by the way) Well, those buds opened up! I'm so happy to see a cut-back, half-dead rescue revive and bloom again! =)

Thumbnail by speediebean
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Jeff, try Casa Blanca on that lily.
yay speedie!!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, the lily might be a Casa Blanca if its flowers are fragrant.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't smelled any fragrance from it but it sure looks like a Casa Blanca. It's in the middle of the garden so I can't get my sniffer in there to check the smell. I will say though, it's not something you can notice from walking around in the yard.

Isn't that rewarding Speedie! Great job =)

Thank you! =)

Hmmm, idea Jeff: (please forgive me, this isn't meant to be as wise-guy as it will sound but...) if you can get in there with the Lily well enough to reach your hand in for a pic (like above), maybe you can reach your sniffer in there? Maybe you can use your "Go-Go Gadget Sniffer!!"
< =D

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Neon Star is a good flavor of Dianthus! Yea Speedie. Most Dianthus benefit from a post bloom haircut and many will bloom again, just not as spectacularly.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2015 7:24 AM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...if only Speedie! Maybe I could pull the ol' 'Got your nose' trick on myself.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was going to say Mother's Choice on that white lily. I've planted both in my yard and I thought Casa Blanca already bloomed and was very tall but I can't say for sure. I didn't mark them.
1. Casa Blanca or Mother's Choice or maybe something else
2. Forgot but got it from Bleeks a couple of years ago.
3. Tiger Lilies
4. Gerbera Daisy - I said I wouldn't get any of these anymore because I can't overwinter them.
5. Do you see that little purple inchworm? I see them here and there on my composite flower centers. Anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I will re-post my last Post in the previous Thread. Cause I want to!!!

Do any of you remember my 6' tall Purple Amaranth last summer? With all those droopy,
feathery "blooms"...It makes zillions of seeds...tiny, miniscule, round black ones...

One of the seeds germinated and is growing by leaps and bounds--about 2" every day--
in my small, front bed. The lower stem (trunk") is already over 1" in diam.
This is the same bed where it grew last year too...it just moved over 2 feet.

1--Standing tall--August 2014

2--Top/flower part of this Amaranth--2014

3--The progeny of this plant--self-sown from seed. Same bed--2' away from last years.

4--The flower developing at the very top cluster of leaves.

5--Sadly--my Acalypha has not come back this year. It did last summer--
and i was so excited! The stem feels solid when pull on it--but NO plant.
Now it is too late to hope for seeing it again. This is/was in the same small
bed by my front door.
I will let it ride and see what happens next year. In my garden--hope is always eternal...

There---Now I am happy! G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, that Amaranth is so pretty........

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a zillion seeds, Jeff----except your other seeds were mailed today already....

I can send you some of the Amaranth......?? It is like a sentinel in your garden...

G.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good rescue job, Speedie!

I see the inchworm, Loretta, but don't know what it is....but I bet it's happy that you bought that Gerbera Daisy!

Gita, too bad about your Acalypha; maybe it'll come back after all.

Blooms from today:

1 - Veronicastrum virginicum (Culver's Root) and NOID Rose of Sharon
2 - Scutellaria incana getting another round of blooms. I love this plant...deer don't touch it, foliage is disease- and insect-free, pollinators flock to it and it blooms all summer when dead-headed.
3 - Silphium perfoliatum (Cup Plant)

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gita, I have been looking at that Acalypha at a local store. It's half price at $8 (it's huge) and I've been going back and forth on it. Your not helping my resolve. Did you try to overwinter it outdoors?

Muddy, your sculleteria is very nice and I've always admired cup flower. I've never noticed that inchworm before but looking through my pictures, it has been around for a couple of years.

1. Salmon Star
2. First Angelica flower getting ready to open. It looks like a teletubby phone.
3. Bishop of Llandaff
4. Snowberry Clearwing on a seedling of Dartmoor
5. Mountain Mint

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Loretta! I got 3 Salmon Stars coming to me from B&D Lilies this fall. Yours is very pretty. That dahlia is a knockout too. I wouldn't mind scavenging a tuber or two off you next spring.

Gita, thanks for the offer, I don't know if the amaranth will fit into my garden scheme. You have a bunch of cool tropically looking things and I have none, which is how I like it.

Muddy, how tall does that Scutellaria incana get? Does it like part shade? I really like it.

"awesome sauce," you guys.
the red Amaranth is great foliage color; they keep popping up here but usually get totally riddled with leaf beetle holes- but I have one really healthy bug free one this year.
Loretta, that clearwing picture is fantastic.
Muddy, did you get the Scutellaria from David first? Great find, either way.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The Scutellaria incana can take some shade. We have some in our yard, and that is pretty much a given!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Jeff, our Scutellaria incana gets about 4 feet tall. We can bring you some at the fall swap.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that'd be great. Maybe I can put that in the hole left by my ranunculus hispidus. Thanks!

I think I got some from you guys last year but for whatever reason it didn't make it through the winter. Maybe it didn't root well enough or was sited poorly.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2015 8:33 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Loretta--

About 3 years ago-I got a full tray of Acalyphas from a local nursery as the
space was needed to start all their Mum pots. it was late summer and he was
clearing stuff out. It was awesome--taking anything I wanted--FREE...

I shared them with several friends on DG and we all OOhhed and AHHed on their beauty.

Looking into this plant--I found out that they are not really hardy in this area.
I had two of them--and the one in the front bed DID come back the next year. very late!
I had it well insulated under a pile of leaves. I was so ecstatic!
Seems no one else's made it but mine.

This year was a disappointment,,,,but i will let it be--as the stem seems sturdy and
passed the tug test. So--it must have good roots. Hope....hope.....

If you want to--I would buy the one you saw--and just hope for the best...
Maybe plant it in a very sheltered spot? Read up on it....Mulch well, etc....

Good luck! Gita

Frederick, MD

I'm going to re-work the flower bed in the front of my house (not the one I just re-did in April, the other one). :) This thread is giving me some great ideas, I want to add a lot of flowering plants that bloom in July/August, my front is lacking color this time of year.

Gracias all !

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--
I have a pretty big New England Aster "bush"...I could dig away a section for you.
It really spreads sideways--unless the rabbits chew down the stems,
They do tend to do that. I have a plastic fencing all around it.

It has not bloomed yet. Aster is a fall bloomer. It has very pretty--blue flowers..
I will add a picture below. LMK if you want one. If you do--I should dig it up now
so it can recover from this "trauma" and still bloom.
Amazing how well it does--it is in my YUK bed!!! It is mostly filtered light--
or bright shade--whichever...as my neighbor's 6' fence is right behind it.
One of the Champs!. Ads nice fall color to nothingness....

1--The "bush"

2--The blooms--closer. These were taken in September of last year.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD

Autumn color is always nice, Gita. If it won't tolerate the afternoon sun in the front of my west-facing home, then I have a spot for it on the east side where it would only get the milder, morning sun.

Please don't divide it if it will traumatize the part that's left so you won't get it to bloom this fall.

Thanks !

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sequoia - You'll like Salmon Star. It smells good too. And I should be able to spare a tuber of BOL. I'll mark my calendar to check in the fall when I dig them up.

Gita, I guess you twisted my arm about the Acalyphas. I do have the green and yellow splashy looking one. Now it will probably be gone! And that Aster is beautiful! Someone gave me one but it has strappy leaves.

Thank you, Sally, about the clearwing. I was excited to see it. I usually only see them maybe once a year.

Now this Underwing Moth was in my kitchen. See the molding is 1 inch thick so he was a big moth. When he landed on my door, I tried to get a better shot of his wings and he happened to take off when the camera took the picture so I got his wing spread.

3 is a double balloon flower just starting. The single has been blooming a while now.
4 Salvia splendens - a lone color in the flat. Anyone recognize it?
5. Black Cohosh and honeybee

This message was edited Jul 23, 2015 7:50 PM

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

'Limelight' hydrangea

Noid dahlia

'Sparkling Burgundy' Euocomis.

Variegated Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine.'

Rudbeckia.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2015 7:51 PM

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--I was more worried about the part i would dig away being traumatized--
NOT the big plant/bush itself.

You know how it is when you dig a part of something away--some roots get
damaged, and it pouts for a while....then recovers...

I will try it tomorrow. If it does not do well after I give it to you, spring may be a better
tome to dig away a section--as this plant dies back to nothing in the winter,
and then grows all new shoots.

Hey! Nothing ventured--nothing gained. Right? Gita

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

All beautiful, SSG! I love Lorraine Sunshine! Sometimes you get some true to seed!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

That limelight hydrangea is so delicate looking, SSG. Don't recall seeing that variety before, but really like it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--we cross-posted,,,,no biggie....

Anyone--I have a couple questions. YES! Me again...

1--The Crocosmia that bloomed now has a lot of (as many as blooms) seed pods
all along the bloom stem. See picture.
Has anyone ever collected seed from a crocosmia? You all know I will!

2 & 3--I have this "weedy" looking plant that has been growing at the edge of my
S. facing (full sun) bed. It has tiny white blooms up and down the stems.
To me--it looks like a weed--as I have not seen it before.
If none of you know--I will post it on Plant ID Forum.

4--My KK Hibiscus now in full bloom--but the wind and downpours have
not been good for it. Nor have the constant JB chewing on it all day long.

5--My tall, Red Hibiscus is blooming. Myst be year # 12 or more.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - your mystery plant is Lobelia inflata, a native plant known as Indian Tobacco.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks...David. HOW do you know all this stuff??????

SOOOO???? Should I keep it...yank it? Any redeeming qualities of this plant?
AND--HOW did it get there? I have never seen it before....

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, it is a native plant that grows all over this part of the country. It is used in herbalism, and when smoked in small quantities can aid in the reduction of tobacco use. For additional info see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobelia_inflata

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gita, my crocosmia self sows a lot. The indian pipe is very cute. I'm not sure I've seen it around here. My KK is nothing compared to yours. I was going to yank it but maybe I'll just move it. Yours is gorgeous!

Frederick, MD

Yeah, Gita... the part divided away sure does pout but as long as you won't mess up your Fall blooming, then go for it.

The Peonies I bought home this weekend sure are pouting. Going to cut them back and keep watering the roots and hopefully the plants will recover. The Sedum, on the other hand is doing much better.

Well, since peonies get mildew late in summer anyway (when?) I feel hopeful for them. I have a big clump of Ladys mantle pouting bigtime....it is so drying out right now even though it feels wonderful to us people. and my black Elephant Ear needs lots of watering now that it has stopped raining every other day.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

1. Dahlia Mingus Loren
2. Forgot (Spartacus)
3. Nicandra
4. Forgot (Hootenanny)

This message was edited Jul 24, 2015 8:18 AM

Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ Thumbnail by Loretta_NJ

Loretta those are some gorgeous babies! That second one is some sort of Dahlia I believe... tho darned if I can figure out which one. :( But WOW, they're all beautiful!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I like your taste in dahlias Loretta. Your NOID dahlia looks like 'Hootenanny', which I also have. I tend to go for the smaller bloom dahlias too. That salvia you pictured is pretty sweet looking too.

Gita, if you don't want that Lobelia inflata, I'll take it.

SSG, how big is your 'Limelight' hydrangea now? It's looking pretty good.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, guys! Yes, Hootenanny and Spartacus. I had to look up my receipt and I was too lazy at 1:30 in the morning. Sequoia, I noticed we have similar taste in dahlias! This is my first year with the larger flowers like Spartacus. My new dahlia obsession is the old Clarion. I can't find it for sale in this country (not the mini) and I use to have many seedlings from it. They all died over winter one year now I have no dark leaf yellow gene. If I have to, I'll settle for Mystic Illusion but I find many of these marketed dahlias don't have tubers.

Limelight is a beauty!

SSG - that Euocomis, how long do you have it? Has it overwintered for you outside?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Will The indian pipe tobacco plant come back next year?

If so--I will move it to a more appropriate spot not hanging over
the edge of my flower bed. WHEN would be the best time to move it?

Thanks. g.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.