PLANT ADDICTS CHAT #7

Washington, DC

Thanks to my generous neighbors, I may have a car to attend fall pick-up.
Like notion of fostering Sago Palm.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, Lisa, hope your car (and you) weren't in an accident. Glad you'll be able to come on the 24th!

Sequoia, I use the polymer moisture crystals everywhere, including in my veggie garden. I believe they are considered "organic" since they break down harmlessly in a few years. As with everything, do your own research, but realize they are not the same as the crystals in diapers. more on that at watersorb.org

Does anybody want some of those deep big black "plant saucers" from the dollar store? LMK.

Washington, DC

Everything's fine. We have only one car, and that car will be in NJ next weekend.

(Marta) Frederick, MD

Hi all, I finally got around to subscribing (so I can do the seed robin)......alright now that that's done I am headed outside for one more round to try to be sure I have everything inside.
Marta

This message was edited Oct 17, 2015 10:24 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hooray, Marta! Come over to my place next Saturday... we're having a pick-up party for the lily and amaryllis bulbs, but it's also just a general fall get-together. 1 pm start time, chili etc. will be available, and we'll figure on going out to Chef Lin or somewhere for dinner. Bring the girls, too!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Marta! You won't be sorry you joined. Free plants and great garden advice!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey everybody, I just realized I figured the word would get around, but I didn't post an official invitation in the MAG forum... all are welcome to come to Saturday's get-together, just post on one of the group buy threads or drop me a Dmail so I can throw another can of beans into the chili LOL.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have two Truly Tiny Bananas to give away. They only get 2ft tall. Any takers?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Do you remember if you gave me one last year or maybe the year before? I have one that has stayed really small, and I didn't know if that's because it's stayed in a small pot or because it was a small kind... I think it's most likely a 'Truly Tiny', especially since it's getting a baby-sprout this fall.

At any rate, they are REALLY cute. I can see them with some tropical-themed fairy furniture underneath. :-)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Marta! Glad you finally joined up.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yay Marta! So glad you are here.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Marta, good to see you here!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

WOOHOO, Marta!!!!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad you officially joined us, Marta!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Marta--Welcome---Welcome---Welcome-----

Now would be a good time for you to tell us what you are interested in.

We all have oodles of seeds to share--and, I for one, am glad to give away almost anything.

At the Swap--you will be welcome to go through my BIG box of collected seeds
and take what you want. I have around 60+ seeds to choose from.

Jump right in and tell us about your garden. Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Marta, hope we'll see you Sat!

I know SSG is planning to come... is anybody else coming who's not taking bulbs home?

I have various cuttings rooting & available to go home with folks Saturday.... Lemon Twist Plectranthus, begonia, chartreause sweet potato, Hawaiian spider plant, a leggy peppermint scented geranium that you can take apart and/or uproot, a couple of Euphorbia breathless blush (can overwinter in a window), and more. I'm thinking we just need a "free to good home" table -- but if you bring something that doesn't get claimed, please go around and "pimp it out" or take it back with you!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm planning to come and can bring a couple of 1-gallon pots of the Queen's Tears bromeliad if there is an interest. They are very easy plants indoors or out, but need to come inside for the winter. Not too happy in lots of sun.

Washington, DC

I have dug up three white ageratum. Any takers?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yes please!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm coming even though I don't have bulbs to pick up. I'll probably have a few things for the "free to good home" table!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Has anyone ever checked out the Lily Auction at www.daylily.com? I'm in the market for a few nice selections and I stumbled across this little gem. It seems to be an ebay for daylilies. Pretty interesting, just figured I'd share.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's FABULOUS and addictive. You've been warned.

The daylily forum has some threads on it with favorite vendors, I believe.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah addictive I bet but at the cost of some of them, I better not get too far. I can't figure out how to tell where to find the hardiness though.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm pretty sure DLs are hardy anywhere with sufficient water in the lower 48... what varies is whether or not they will rebloom. In FL, all the rebloomers are pretty reliable. ;-)

doin the Bloom Spike Boogie!
examined the Oncidium to decide about potting, and found a fresh bloom spike started!

Thanks to Pat for telling me about Potomac Garden Center! They had 'Arnold's Promise' witch hazel! It was huge, at least 6 feet tall, very healthy with lots of flower buds, and 40% off!

The downside is that there was no way I could fit it in my car, so I'll be stopping by their Potomac location sometime next week.

Aspen and Jill, you're right about this place having an interesting mix of plants! I ended up buying a clematis and a ground cover veronica at great prices. I also picked up some shallow pots for the amaryllis. :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the update, SSG. I was wondering if you found anything, and you definitely did! Too bad the witch hazel was too big to bring home.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG, glad you had a chance to stop by that nursery and found some goodies. I am amazed at the selection they carry for such a low volume inventory kind of place. Reminds me a bit of Ace HW Outback in Edgewater, but this place is so much closer for me. They also have fantastic end of season sales.

what a find, ssg, just what you wanted!

I'm seriously considering buying a large quantity of silver lamium to use as ground cover.

Does anyone know where they sell flats of lamium?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG when do you want it I can bring you plenty come spring swap.

Thank you, Holly! :D

Washington, DC

Holly, thanks so much for the sago palm and dracaena. They look smart in my living room.

Thumbnail by 5601Lisa Thumbnail by 5601Lisa
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Glad you were able to borrow your neighbor's car... maybe you can bring your neighbor next time, especially once she sees your new decor!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My pleasure, glad to find a home for them. Realized when I got home that I forgot to bring my extra dwarf Bananas. I am sure that someone would have loved to them them home.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey, ALL---
Speedie sent me this e-mail and asked that I let you all know why she was not
going to be on DG for a while. Kind of sad---

She wrote:
Just wanted to give you a bit of an update since I’ve not been in Dave’s Garden for a while. I’ll see the neurologist today for my face.. the pain is the same – randomly on and off whenever it feels like it.
I’m not sure if I’d ever told you, or mentioned in DG, that... several years ago my Mom was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Instead of doing chemo, the Dr. had her on some imuno-therapy and she’d gone into remission for a good long while.
Well, back in August the cancer was back, and they started her on very aggressive chemo, 3 times in 1 week, once a month, and the plan was for 8 months. Well, about 3 or so weeks ago a ct scan showed her liver looking really bad and the Dr. wanted to do
a biopsy, but Mom was not up to it. The chemo was stopped... she went downhill really really really fast.. moved into a long-term care facility this past Friday ‘cause she was no longer able to do anything for herself anymore. And she passed last night.
Not sure when I’ll be back into DG, I’m just falling apart. Please let everyone know that I miss them, and I’ll be back again when I sort myself out.
Thank you Sweetie.
XOXOXOX

Susan

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AND----

Just FYI--My EX also passed away this past Saturday--Oct. 24th.

I am sure he just stopped breathing and died quietly with her at his side..
He had not had any food or fluids for weeks--as he could not swallow
and chose not to have any IV's of feeding tubes. He was also in great pain.
I am sure he just wanted to GO--and I think his body just shut down.

Please don't barrage me with "So Sorry" and condolences. I have hardly .
seen him or had any contact with him for 24 years.
My focus now is to comfort my daughters--who are taking this pretty hard.

Gita

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Man, I'm sorry for Speedie. Very sad indeed.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Moving to a new thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1408007/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.