PLANT ADDICTS CHAT #7

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We are coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1394212/#new

Last thread Gita asked to see my before and after on my Tamarack Larch. First one is late spring 2010, second one is a couple months ago.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good grief, that Larch lurched!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Yeah, what Muddy said! =) I actually exclaimed aloud (loudly!) "Holy Moley!!!!" (sitting here all by myself), then looked around thinking someone heard me, LOL!!! Wow Dude, that baby has really taken off, she is WONDERFUL!!

Sally, thank you for the hysterical laughs this morning, I LOVED that video about Hitler and taxonomy!!! (they should all be put to work growing zucchinis, HAHAHAAHAAHAAA!!!!!!!!!) Oh my goodness, that was soooo darned funny!!!!!!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Youtube came up with an interview with the actor who played Hitler. I caught that he said the company that made the film tried to stop the guy making the parody (he does more with the same clip) to no avail. Then the actor, with good humor, admitted he was now famous because of the parody, not the original real acting work he did...haha

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, that larch took off. Sure is happy in your yard and what a great looking tree. Thanks for the photos.

what an act of faith, from that tiny sprout to now and future glory!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that little guy was the quintessential Snoopy tree for a while. It sure looks happy. The fall foliage is killer.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW, that's impressive, Jeff.

What's the mature height on this one?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Probably 40-60 ft in cultivation.

For geeks:
I learned something yesterday- some plants can produce some seeds that germinate quickly and others that are 'hard' and germinate only after some time (stratification etc) Who knew?
So those pots of obscure wildflowers that didn't germinate this year just might next...even if the plant has previously germinated quickly for you.
(About sweetclover, at US Forest Service.. very detailed description)
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/forb/melspp/all.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I sowed a few seeds of the Red Rose Campion and, so far--I do not see any sprouts.
I sowed the seeds in about 3 different places in the late spring.

Being that this is a Biennial--I will wait until next spring to see if anything comes up.
I may even sprinkle a few more seeds in those 3 spots--just to make sure...
OR--I may try to WS them....I really want to see these.....

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I know you say this is a biennial but I will say that my plant from last year returned in the spring. The plant I have grew from the same crown it had last year. It was even 'semi evergreen' last winter. It's blooming like nuts and has been for the last couple months. The garden it's in doesn't do volunteers since it is so highly vegetated. It bloomed last year too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--
You must be talking about the regular Rose Campion around here...
The one we all have--and have...and have,,,,with the magenta blooms....

Yes! Often they seem to return from the crown the next year, but, sometimes,
it is deceiving as many of the seeds drop straight down and the germinate
the following year. So--it looks like it is coming up from the same crown.

I am NOT saying it is 100% so--but it is a possibility.

The Red Rose Campion no one has had here before--as I got the seeds
from my sister in AK just last year and shared with people at the Seed swap.
Will be interesting to see if anyone has had it germinate.
I do not have a lot of this seed--so I am hoping mine will grow and bloom
and I will collect a lot more of seed.

There is a small difference in the bloom--other than color.

1 & 2--The Red one from AK. A bit different....blooms are deep red
and shaped a bit different....more compact...

3 & 4--The one we all have here.....the blooms are deep fuchsia

OOps--The pictures are numbered in reverse...Sorry!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2015 8:53 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ditto for mine.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know G but it's gorgeous either way. I love it.

I really enjoyed today's article from Kelli, You Might Be a Plant Nerd.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So did I and several of those really hit home for me. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Guilty as charged......
On my travels--far and few between--I was always asking the guide on the bus
"What is the name of that plant?" Yup! I AM a nerd....

On our trip to see 5 countries in Europe, mostly from a bus, whenever we were
somewhere for a few days--like Switzerland--I was crazy about picking
flowers and putting them in an old catalog to press them.
My sweet, patient DH never complained....

Holly--
In all the boxes of pressed flowers I gave you for your friend, there are a couple
with those flowers I picked in Switzerland. They are labeled.
No color left--just drab gray & brittle after 40 some years in those boxes.

Maybe your friend can do "Monochromatic" pressed flower arrangements???

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think you can touch up dried flowers with watercolor paint, also. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I still have the box Gita, haven't passed it on yet. I would like to take a look at your pressed flowers before I pass it on. I wouldn't use them just wanted to see what you had in there.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--feel free to take out and use anything you wan tto create a nice
framed arrangement of.

OI was going to show you one I made--but, for some reason, the uploading and copying
process is all different--all kinds od stuff about Picasa--and such. My photo is there-
but I have NO idea how to get it to July 15 Folder.

I will try again later...gita

Yes, I really loved the article as well. I was ready to head out the door from work yesterday, then stopped to check my pockets real quick... good thing I did, I found a couple handfuls of plant 'pinchings'. I just can't seem to help it - no matter where I am, if I see a bit of a stem or bloom that is past its prime, OFF it gets pinched.. and usually ends up in my pocket. ;) And Coleus blooms!? No no no, I really have a 'thing' about Coleus blooms, they all must GO!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holy--

OK! I had pressed the wrong upload button....

This is very old! Everything has faded....BUT--here it is.

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice Gita, It is a beautiful piece.

Oh Gita that is so beautiful!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

In case you cannot read the poem in the center-it is one of my favorite little Poems:

COUNTING FLOWERS

When we start to count flowers,
We cease to count weeds.

When we start to count blessings,
We cease to count needs.

When we start to count laughter,
We cease to count tears.

When we count happy memories,
We cease to count years.

(anonymous.)

Thank you for that! I was trying so hard to read it.. took my glasses off and got right on top of the monitor. DH caught me squinting and fogging up the screen and told me "Stop That!" LOL!!
That is such a beautiful poem, I love it!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Speedie---Thanks! I am a big, old "softy" in my heart..
So glad you are coming to the swap.

Love this little Poem. I saw it a long time ago on a little plaque
in a shop somewhere. Copied it down and have it hanging, framed, in my
bathroom where the toilet is. Not a deserving pairing......:o/

You can enlarge whatever is on your monitor screen to take a better look by:
holding down "shift" and hitting " + ". To reverse--hit the " - " key.

Your "smart" pal. Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, I've found that trick doesn't always work with images... at least on my system (using Firefox) that will enlarge the text on a page without enlarging images. Instead, click on the thumbnail and then right-click on the photo and choose "view image." Now you can enlarge it with ctrl+ or another way. (I have a touchpad rather than a mouse, so I can put two fingers down and then spread them apart to enlarge things -- the opposite of "pinching," but I don't know what it's called!)

your "other smart pal" Critter

Aaaah, you are both brilliant! I tried it both ways and they both worked, YAY YOU TWO!!! I use firefox as well, but it's on my desktop pc... wonder if that makes a difference? Dunno, but it worked both ways for me, so thank you both!

I know JUST that move that you're talking about Jill,.. not sure what you call it.. 'un-pinch'? =D

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

not sure, I just know that sometimes ctrl+ enlarges both text and images on a page, sometimes text only... I usually try it, and if it doesn't work, I do the "view image" step first.

Glad you know the trick, either way!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes--when I did the ctrl+--it enlarged the picture too.

But--since I did it to see if the writing would get bigger so people could
read the poem in the center--I guess it worked OK.
Sadly--the ink, or paint I wrote it with has also faded over the years...

Don't think I want to take the whole framing apart to fix this. g.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Stopped by local HD this am. Trees and shrubs 25% off

Weeping Hornbeam
Variegated Sweet Gum

New shipment of
Siam Tulip in purple or white . A hidden Cone Ginger, hardy around here
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-US&biw=&bih=&q=South+American+Tulips+curcumas&oq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=

Veronica speedwell "Charlotte" white flowered, variegated leaves
http://www.skagitgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=326

Special sale of Windmill Palms These are the ones that are 'hardy' hereabouts. Reg $150 now $25
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-US&biw=&bih=&q=windmill+palm&btnG=Google+Search&oq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The 25% off shrubs and trees has been going on for a month already--if not longer.

Those Gingers are pretty. I think we are sold out...I did not know they are hardy!!!

Me working only one and a half days every week--I do miss out on a lot.
They could bring something in and it may be sold before i come in again...

Pretty soon it will be Mums...and more Mums. We already have had them for 2-3 weeks.
To my surprise--Last Sunday-I saw we had 2 huge pots of trumpet Vine for sale...

G.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

What do you think of this list? "10 best perennials you've never heard of." https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/the-10-best-perennials-you-have-never-heard-of/2015/08/17/d933d0ae-3aca-11e5-b3ac-8a79bc44e5e2_story.html

I love windmill palms, but I've read that the ones in DC suffered significant cold damage the past two winters.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I loved the article but I thought she had too many grasses in the list.

It's always worth seeing what someone considers one of the best.
I think it is a stretch to call that sedge more interesting than 'boring liriope'. And yeah the grasses seem kind of overkill, although the Blue Grama has some really cool seed heads and is tempting. Slimleaf Ironweed looks like w winner!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I would agree with the tricyrtis, nepeta, and geranium but they can keep the rest, especially those grasses. My ironweed NEVER blooms so last year I ripped it out and threw it in the trash. Two seasons of no blooms, won't be followed by a third. Well low and behold a sprout was missed in the tear out. I guess I'll get to see if it will bloom this year.

that sprout will probably be loaded, LOL

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah really...we'll see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.