ID, if you please

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi, all
Was wondering if anyone could identify this plant? My brother who lives in CA asked me, his Jersey sister, for a friend that lives down there in Jacksonville. LOL how's that for interstate travel?

Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Looks like a rangy, unpruned, bougainvillea to me, its funny how they do so well when they are not fussed over. I have not seen one that deep purple color.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful color. If it has long thorns on it probably is a bougainvillea. I don't have them anymore because I don't have anything that has thorns in my garden. Got a thorn in my leg once and it was a bad experience.

Bonnie D.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure is a pretty color if it is a Bougainvillea, I've never seen one that color. They freeze back here if we get below 32°. They get big in S. FL. I won't have them in my garden because the dog gets the thorns in her paws.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks for the help!

You might ask your brother to ask his friend in JAX if this plant has thorns. That would be the clincher, bougies have mean thorns. I have never seen one this color either but the leaves and the little white stigmas sure look like a bougie.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

When you look at it closely looks like it has long thorns. Bet its a bougainvillea.

It is such a unique color. Dontcha just want to slip by and take a cutting of it. :-) :-) :-)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Bougainvillea. They come in bunches of colors. The most amazing one I ever saw was growing up and across the steel supports of a botanic garden that was on the top of a Calgary mall. Devonian Gardens is a two story greenhouse space. This bougainvillea had to be at least 70 feet tall. Oh, and it was pink like yours.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.