Grass.... plain ole grass

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Good afternoon from sunny, hot, humid east central FL!!

I tried to locate a forum that just talked about grass, but didn't see one, so I am hoping that someone in the FL gardening section can help. We are getting ready to re-sod an area of our yard that is in full sun. In addition, we have three medium to large size dogs who are very energetic and tough on this area of grass. Any suggestions for a grass to replace it with that is tough and durable to the abuse of sun and dogs?

Thanks in advance!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

This might give you a place to start. You can always call your local extension office for more info.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/features/handbooks/floridalawn.html

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

When I was starting landscaping out from I researched grasses and decided to plant argentine Bahia cause it withstands full sun and is pretty tough. In 10 years haven't had any bug problems in it and in places where it didn't grow I just threw more grass seed at it and spread some manure on it. Kept it watered and it grew fine.

One grass I don't want is saint Augustine. Takes too much water and is very susceptible to chinch bugs.

My yard is all seeded cause I could not afford that mount of sod when I was starting out. I do throw a top cover of manure on it every few years and it gets watered if we don't get rain for a couple of weeks during the summer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We prefer Bahia grass too. Its durable, long lasting, easily re-seeds and handles the summer heat with no issues.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hate to brag BUT we put in our irrigation in Nov. of 2005 and we must have done something right cause I have only replaced 1 big rotar head and that was me chopping it up with lawn mower when it didn't go back down properly. Otherwise the 82 small sprinkler heads and 8 rotars that I put in are working fine. Not bad for amateurs. Got my instructions from online and then went to irrigation business and got more pointers and all the lines, pump, and manifolds. Made a graph chart of all lines etc. so at least when something does happen I can fix it myself.
Thank God we have a canal on our property we can draw water from. Went dry once and had to draw from well. That wasn't good but we made it through drought.

I hope Sherri & Shauna you will get some of this wonderful rain we are getting.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you!! I want to go the Bahia route too... Trying to talk hubby into it.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

LAKeley, do you have irrigation system in place. Nothing grows in Fl. without water especially when it's starting out. After it takes hole and roots Bahia can withstand only once a week watering.
Good luck with your grass project.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Just saw this. I know I am a zone or 2 colder here, but I find centipede grass does well once established. If that was the only grass I had growing in my dogs yard, I would only have to mow once a summer. Centipede grass is a runner grass like St Augustine. It can be grown from seed and is very low and compact. In my area, it already grows naturally in some of the woodsy areas and on the swale.

Just a thought
Molly

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

BonnieGardens, yes, I have well water irrigation. We only use it when we need it. I'm like the Bahia route more and more. Wonder if I can find it in sod instead if seed?

MollyMc, I LOVE centipede grass but cannot afford it. It is very expensive. I'd have to find somewhere to buy sod because seed will take too long. We have some centipede grass at a piece of property in northern FL and I absolutely love, love, love it.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

You can get sod at Duda Farms in Oveido, they have other locations, but that probably closest to you, they have Bahia.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

If I remember right my seed was Argentine Bahia. It was up in less than 2 weeks. Maybe because I racked a thin layer of cow manure in the ground before I planted it. It was a lot of work to rack all the yard clean before I planted it but it took off fast

God luck.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I put grass seed down once. Next day I had a huge flock of black birds on my lawn feasting on my seed. LOL.
I think that manure you have Bonnie makes anything grow, I know it really helped my sandy soil out.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks to the cows. We have had 2 new calves in the past 3 weeks. Man who usually buys our cows came by and says he wants the heifer. I have a waiting list on my bulletin board of folks who want black angus but we don't have enough calves fast enough to sell more than a couple ea. year. Charlie saves that $$ to pay for their feed and hay ea. winter. Keeps our little pasture looking good and eaten down. Our grass is very thick and grown really good this year with all the rain. Our cows are in very good shape.

Sherri, when we clean out the area around the hay feeder and have some piled up again I will let you know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.