coneflower

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes Birder,we would love to see it!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'll try to get a picture posted today.
It's not one I purchased. It's something God created. I'm not sure I like it. It's weird looking so brace yourself! I left it just because it's so different.

Natick, MA

Sometimes "different" is an interesting addition to the garden. Heck, birder, if you decide you REALLY can't stand it, I KNOW somewhere you can ship it off to! LOL :o)

I stopped at Home Depot this am. I have been watching for different coneflowers. They had gorgeous cheyenne spirit coneflowers (several in a ceramic planter) for $20. I dont need to pay for the planter. I DID find some smaller plants at the bargain price of 3.99! I thought they were $6.99 and when they rang up at $3.99 I just HAD to go back and get 3 more!

Pictures soon

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the first bloom of the Cheyenne Coneflower

Thumbnail by cytf

My local WalMart has their Cheyenne Spirit coneflowers marked down to $1.49 for a 2 qt pot!
Very pretty bloom there cytf. Cheyenne Spirit is an enigma in itself. I have three of them and they all bloom different colors. Just how does that work? lol

Thank you valal,this plant is really putting out blooms.

Natick, MA

Holy Cow, Annette,
I wish I lived near YOUR walmart :) I haven't seen any at walmart at all. Home Depot just started getting some coneflowers in the past 2-2 and a half weeks.

Cheyenne Spirit Cones are various colors including a pink, white, yellows and oranges. The ones I purchased at HD, I chose the most interesting ones with blooms :0)

Cytf, your orangey cheyenne is a really pretty color!

Natick, MA

These are some of the ones I bought today

Thumbnail by valal

Yes that looks about right, mine are variations of those colors.A couple that I bought didn't have blooms open so they will be a surprise!

I have a Home Depot near me will see if I get other colors .I bought mine from a Catalog because if my plants do not survive they send you a replacement .I have been dealing with this particular one for many years.

Most of the perennials have a 1 yr guarantee. But you can't always get a replacement at the big box stores. Save that receipt though, or they won't give you diddly.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

1. White Swan
2. Echinacea magnus
3 and 4. Weird Coneflower with green blooms.

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Natick, MA

Hi Birder,

Thanks for posting your lovely cones...those green ones ARE a little "odd". Interesting, tho..I'm sure you have something unusual/special there! It's nature fun!?

Interesting blooms there birder17. You could call it "Green Goblin" or "Green-Eyed Monster", lol Did you have any green coneflowers previously? I had one of my purple coneflowers mutate into a "Double Decker" last year but it wasn't green, it was purple. You might just have something there. Save the seed!

Here is an interesting tidbit I found on the web

Green Jewel’ is a coneflower that features bright light green rays and dark green center cones.

It was discovered in an open population of an unnamed selection of Echinacea purpurea growing in a controlled environment in Hummelo, The Netherlands in 2005.

It is an upright perennial that typically grows in a compact clump to 20-24" tall and to 18" wide on sturdy, well-branched stems that do not need staking. Large flowers (to 4-5" diameter) feature bright light green rays surrounding rounded, dark green center cones. Flowers bloom from late spring to late summer, sometimes with additional sporadic bloom until frost. Flowers have a mild but sweet fragrance. Medium green leaves (to 7” long) are narrow-ovate to ovate. Good fresh cut or dried flower. The dead flower stems will remain erect well into the winter, and if flower heads are not removed, the blackened cones are often visited by goldfinches or other birds that feed on the seeds. Echinacea comes from the Greek word echinos meaning hedgehog in reference to the flower’s spiny center cone. U. S. Plant Patent PP18,678 was issued on April 1, 2008.

Now if it happened once it COULD happen again, just sayin' What do you think???

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

birder17, Look up aster yellows and/or eriophyid mite for the effects on coneflower.
It could be one of those is causing the odd look of your green coneflowers.
If so you will have to destroy them so it doesn't spread.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Nanny,
Yes, I think it "did" happen. But, I think they are weird. Maybe if I save the seed and see what comes up next time. I don't think it would reproduce the same thing-maybe some just like it, but others would be different.
I do think they are really weird. They looked better earlier-not so many little flowers coming out of the large bloom.
I think Green Monster is a good name for this one! :)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

sempervirens, Thanks for posting. I'm now glad I did post this goofy looking coneflower!
I don't know it it's infected, but think it probably is.
Mo. Botanical said one common symptom is leaf chlorisis, but this plant is nice and green.
I think I'll destroy it.
We've had a wet spring/summer then, lots of HUMID heat. Dew point has been 74*. :(
So, maybe that's part of the problem.
Again, thanks for the heads up.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm an Echinacea fan too, here's my 'Cheyenne Spirit'...lovely colors on one plant --2nd year.

Thumbnail by Mipii

I planted one last year and the color is really beautiful . Yours is has beautiful colors too,it's amazing that one plant has different colors.

Cytf, yes...amazing. Thanks for the compliment.

Love your Cheyenne Spirit Mipii. I am also a fan of Echinacea in all colors.

I love your spirit too Nanny...
Here's my 'Pink Poodle'.

Oops, edited to change the word 'like', that was an understatement.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2015 10:13 AM

Thumbnail by Mipii
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a cheery Native purple , Nature providing the extra Color ,

There is a "Milkshake" that does not bloom double here , some "White swan" , A pink Poodle start ,(thank you above) and a pink something I cannot or did not ever know the name of ,
The milkshake 2
More Purple 3

Really nice looking flower photo's from all of you !!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Natick, MA

Thoroughly enjoying all your beautiful coneflower photos! Thanks for sharing and making my day!
The "spirit" and others that have more than one color in one plant are that much alluring, I think because it's like a "bouquet" in one plant :)

Yes, thanks for all contributions...I'm with Val -- thoroughly enjoyable!

Ju what a beautiful butterfly/coneflower pic. Wow! Geesh, don't thank me when you've done more for me. THANK-YOU! There, take that.

Sempervirens, I've eliminated Japanese beetles from my E. Pink Poodle, but there doesn't seem to be that much activity around my two newer cultivars. I certainly didn't get as lucky as Ju, but then again, I had rescued two felines that chase everything (unless something is chasing them...real or imagined).

Very nice butterfly pic Ju. Good to hear from you! Pink Poodle is a beauty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.