Birds of the mid-Atlantic (and other critters too)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We've been noticing wood ducks at the pond over the last week or so. Rarely see them, but it kind of looks like they might be settling in. One of them was making a fuss at the deer that had come to drink from the pond, so we were thinking that they might be nesting. Do they actually nest this time of year? Seems an odd time for it, but that is the behavior that they are showing.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Neat! Those are some good-looking males ; - )

I've never been lucky enough to see them around here, but this says they live year-round in our area but won't be mating until January: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Duck/lifehistory

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link Muddy. It was an interesting read.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome! What cool ducks to have around.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The males are really pretty. They must have found something that attracts them to the pond - the habitat with the surrounding woods sounds right, but I think I should put out the nesting boxes that the article mentioned. I'll read up on it some more, and I know Mike would be very enthusiastic to build some if it would entice them to stay around.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

who WOULDN'T love to hang out at your pond?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I know I would!!! For sure

Hoping they stick around for the duration.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Two cute articles about birds in the post today. One is about a lost bird hanging out at the arboretum and the other is about an aggressive owl attacking joggers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/10/20/video-shows-aggressive-owl-on-the-prowl-in-bethesda/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2015/10/20/rare-bird-alert-a-bells-vireo-is-attracting-crowds-to-the-national-arboretum/

Ive never heard of a bells vireo before.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting articles, ssg, thanks for sharing!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Any of you putting bird feeders out already????

Mine is filled and just waiting till all the crap is off my patio.
The chaff from all the seeds is such a mess.....besides--i have to have
everything cleared away so the squirrels cannot jump up to the feeder and trash it.

G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, ours are filled. I still have the Hummer feeders out for any late migrating Hummers but we haven't seen any. I will be pulling them at the end of the month.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I keep seed and nut feeders out year round, but I haven't put out suet feeders yet.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm going to keep account on our birds this year. We filled the feeders from leftovers, and suddenly had an invasion. About the 1st of the month we'll be on this years feed and suet. Tales will be told. We usually feed more than anyone in our area, and consequently see more birds.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric, you should participate in http://feederwatch.org/
Edited to add that the main reason is that it provides an organized, easy way to keep count of the birds you're seeing. I find that being on the (volunteer) "hook" to report the number of birds I'm seeing is sometimes just the nudge I need to sit still for a while and watch them.

Signing up also gives you access to lots of useful information as well as to information that's perhaps more interesting than useful, like the general locations of other participants in area and statistics on how many of which kinds of birds they're seeing. It is actually useful to see which birds your neighbors report, though, because it might help you ID a new bird.

Last year, for example, I had the privilege of finding out that I saw an unusually high number of Bluebirds at my feeders...knowing that made that particular gray winter day just a little brighter.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2015 6:04 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I peeled a bunch of apples today as i will be cooking them tomorrow.
I saved all the skins and the core parts and unusable "flesh" and went out
3 times and put all the apple peels and so-so flesh parts in 3 different locations.

I a hoping some kind of bird could eat them--it is good stuff....
What birds eat apples? Orange slices? I put out somewhat stale, damaged
bits of these fruits. Right on the ground or in a shallow saucer.

Is it worth doing this? At least I am trying..... Gita

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

A number of birds might eat apples and oranges (also grapes), including Baltimore Orioles, Robins, Mockingbirds, Crows and Grackles. This is a handy link to see which birds will eat what type of food at feeders: http://feederwatch.org/learn/common-feeder-birds/

Click on the red "view bird list" button, then select fruit from the "food type" menu on the left. The foods are in alphabetical order, and I think fruit is the 3rd choice.

Butterflies supposedly like oranges, although I couldn't get mine to sip from any.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2015 8:48 PM

Can't say I've ever had any much luck with feeding fruit. I got moths or butterflies once on watermelon, but mostly fungus gnats/fruit flies.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The only fruits I've tried putting out are grapes, chopped apples and raisins. A Mockingbird that lived in one of my hollies last winter loved grapes.

I would like to have more fruit-producing shrubs. I was eyeing my apparently male Bayberry bushes the other day, wondering whether I should replace at least 2 with females if I can find them....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--

What a neat bird feeders site! I bookmarked it!

Last week I sliced up some "past prime" oranges and pit them out.
The ants loved it....:o) They have to eat too...

I will keep am eye on the apple trimmings and see who visits--if any.
I have it in 4 locations.

G.

Flickers, for one, are birds that will enjoy well fed ants! I (rarely) see flickers poking around on thin sandy lawns here. I read that flickers eat ants.

I saw a Cardinal at my feeder, getting the season started. It took me a second to realize, Oh yeah, I haven't seen a cardinal there for many months, lol.

And heard my beloved white throated sparrow calling.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ughhh, every time I think of cardinals now, I think of this crazy pair that showed up last year that continually beat themselves against the windows of my house. They are so pretty, and I've always enjoyed seeing them, but what was up with that crazy behavior last year LOL.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Aspen, our threads crossed....your cardinals are strange indeed! I thought fighting with windows was something males did during breeding season...guess not. Maybe they're trying to break in to your nice warm house with lots of inviting plants inside..

As much as I hate fall, it will be nice to see the winter birds again. I'm hoping my new winter visitors, Bluebirds and a Mockingbird, show up again this year.

We just passed 300 posts and are overdue for a new thread !

Keep the critter talk coming at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1407888/

This message was edited Oct 25, 2015 9:23 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

For me it is the Blue Jays, we only have them here in the winter. All the other birds including the Cardinals are here all Summer long.

don't miss out on migrating to the new thread/.....

fun page from Feederwatch, about which birds/ food/ feeders go together
for example this is safflower bird list
http://feederwatch.org/learn/common-feeder-birds/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So yesterday Ric and I watched a small migration of sorts. Two small frogs jumped out of the small shallow pond and made their way to the larger deeper pond. Funny how they know that the small pond they have been living in all summer won't be a good place to over winter.

New thread for the new feeder season

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1408195/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.