White, powdery stuff on stem

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I have (had) two Tumbling Tom plants in a 5-gallon shop bucket. The runt is (was) about 9 inches tall, with 2 short leaf branches and 4 fruit.

I was alarmed when I saw white, powdery stuff on the top 2/3 of the runt's stem, extending a bit on one branch and the tomato cluster . . . .I panicked and, when I couldn't pull the runt out, cut it off at the red rubber mulch level (1 inch on top of the container soil) BEFORE I took pics (so, I do not have any pictures).

What was it?

Did I over react?

Is there something I should do or spray to mkeep it from spreading to my other plant / other containers??

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i would definitely say over reaction, lol.

Often times white powdery stuff on stems means mealy bugs (if you touch it, you will see them jump away) Usually your basic home made dish soap concoction will take care of those, or if there are just one or two of them, i try to be fast, and squish by hand, lol.

I used a magnifying glass to further examine The Stuff: NOT mealy bug, aphids or anything living. It's also NOT root extensions covering the stem, leaves and tomato.

Here's pics of The Runt, temporarily uncovered for this photo shoot.

Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

if there are no bugs, then it looks like your plant had something called White mold

This message was edited Jun 20, 2015 6:59 PM

is that bad??

Can it spread to my other tomatoes / cpmtainers?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I presume you ruled out wooly aphids? Some folks around here have had a problem with those this year. They do have a cottony appearance on shrubs and flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.