Karoo Rose Lapidaria Margaretae seed growing

Saint Peters, MO

so i am growing Karoo Rose Lapidaria Margaretae seeds and i have them in a pot and before putting them in i smashed down the dirt then added the seeds and slightly pushed them in the soil. then i put a bag over the pot and i leave it outside. how long should i keep them like that? i have seen a little green leaf thing come up i just want to know more about the time line of the plants growing process and to make sure that i am doing everything correct. there are a total of about 20 seeds in my pot. ive tried getting info from google but there was no info on anything. i have lots of succulents and im trying out the seedling hobby now. thank you

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi ckj-
I have not tried succulents from seeds. However I do grow some, and I spent some $$$ last year buying obscure books about succulents, not available in the local library. One book does have info on sprouting and growing Lapidaria and other Living Stone plants from seeds. If nobody else responds in a few days I will try to give you a synopsis of the instructions.
What fun!

Saint Peters, MO

sweet thank you. i have a lot of them that are smaller size. they are growing wonderful and so is my succulent tree which i didnt even know about till i found it.

OK, since nobody else has responded who has actually sprouted Living Stones, here goes-
This is from the book called Succulents Propagation by Atilla Kapitany and Rudolf Schultz. It seems to have been self-published in Australia. They seem like experts.
for Lithops and Lapidaria and Dinteranthus they say:

The percentage of seeds sprouting improves if aged for a year.
He describes how to get them out of the hard fruit but it sounds like you have already done that.
Do not cook them in the plastic bag, but they also do keep them moist in plastic like you are doing-keep shaded while covered with plastic.
Remove the plastic covering when most have sprouted.
"Seedlings prefer being kept constantly damp for the first 6 months of their lives, after which they will require a gradual period of drying out".
Extra shade may be needed while tiny.

Then from the book The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World by Fred Dortort he says Lapidaria lives in quarts sand and pepples and also in stony flats that have a bit of soil.
In terms of suitable potting soil-the first book notes Living Stones will need a more porous mix than regular potting soil.
Good luck and keep us updated.
BTW photos of your setup and your succulent tree would be nice (hint hint).

While putting my books away, I noticed another that has suggestions for the closely related genus Lithops. Lithops Treasures of the veld by Steven A. Hammer
He says there are many methods that work, here is one:
He sows midsummer in an outside covered frame. He removes plastic covering on the third or fourth day after sowing, replacing with a fine netting or screen. He mists them once or twice a day. Once every few days the mistings should be heavy but do not keep them soaked or they will rot. After 3 weeks he periodically lessens misting. He mists with dilute fertilizer. As they get bigger he ads some grit as mulch. Never flood them.
In 3 months they will be fat, then the next leaves are made, and they are treated "a bit more indulgently" than adults. Throughout the process he uses dilute fertilizer.
He generally waits to transplant until the next year. he says 50-100 seedlings can inhabit a 8x8x8 cm pot for a year!

York, PA

How are your seedlings coming along? I sowed mine a little after you did, they seem to be very slow coming, they sprouted and it seems like they aren't getting any bigger since then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.