FIRST FLOWERS ALMOST SUMMER 2015

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm stealing SSG's photo of her hydrangea because I don't have any pics at the moment and I always like beginning threads with a pretty pic.

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1395596/#post_10092037

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I really like that Viper Bugloss GT, very nice!

Frederick, MD

1. Anyone know the name of this lily with the magenta blossoms ?

2. Yucca is blooming.

3. close up of Yucca blossom.

Thumbnail by CAMfromMD Thumbnail by CAMfromMD Thumbnail by CAMfromMD
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Photos from today

1 - Snapdragon 'Twinny Peach' from seed this year.

2 - Lilium cernuum - Nodding Lily

3 - Penstemon digitalis - Foxglove Penstemon

4 - Geranium 'Rozanne'

5 - Delphinium NoID

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

A favorite combo: Blue Billow Hyd and variagated Red Twig Dogwood

To Change Colors:

* To turn flowers purple or pink, add lime to the planting area & reapply twice a year.
* To deepen blue color, add Aluminum sulfate once a year.
* To maintain a specific pH, test the pH twice a year using a soil test kit.
* White hydrangea color cannot be manipulated with soil pH.

pH Flower Color

* 4.5 deep, intense blue
* 5.0 medium blue
* 5.5 lavender-purple
* 6.0 pink-purple
* 6.5 mauve-pink
* 6.8 medium pink
* 7.0 intense, deep pink

Thumbnail by coleup
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a pretty lily GT.

Thanks for the hydrangea tips Coleup.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Very pretty lily indeed. Transplanted 3 from another property several years ago and am now down to one single plant. Originally purchased for a very reasonable price, but have not been able to find a source with them in current stock since. If you run across a source, let me know please.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I can vouch for the beauty of the blue billow hydrangea and the variegated red twig. Spectacular!!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jan. I will have to get a better picture!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

It is indoors, but one of our Epi plants is on the verge of blooming. In case this is a night bloomer we will have to keep an eye on it tonight. Judging from the six-inch bud, this is going to be a huge flower!

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

That Lilium cernuum is really pretty. It looks like American Meadows carries them but they're currently sold out. I'm going to have to put this on my 'want' list and check back next year! :)

I love variegated redtwig dogwoods! Talk about 4-season interest!

CAM, have you tried the plant ID forum? There are so many lily cultivars!

Frederick, MD

Not yet but I will, SSG... Thanks. Not a huge deal, I just like to know the names of the gorgeous flowers in my yard. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I've had a tough time getting a pic snapped of our Magnolia virginiana. It's been blooming for a couple weeks now. I think it is the loveliest smell in our yard.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What a difference two hours makes! Flower is now open.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99

WOW! That epi is gorgeous! And huge!

I've never smelled a M. virgiana in person. Now I need to go searching for it...

Frederick, MD

GT and Jeff, beautiful blooms ! Jeff, I can almost smell that magnolia from here, had one in my hard on Guam and still remember the scent... along with the gardenias there. Heavenly.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, quite heavenly. Gardenias smell awesome too.

GT, that flower is lovely!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Beautiful blooms make me blissful!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gardenias smell so wonderful. This Night-blooming cereus didn't seem to have a scent. It was such a surprise to see the huge bud yesterday evening as we hadn't noticed it forming. Never thought I'd see one bloom, but remember reading about one opening in The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax many years ago.

This and another plant were from Gita.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I remember Doc inviting friends and neighbors over and having a vigil for his night blooming beauty! Evidently the flower is gone by morning. Pat and David glad you were there to see it!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Today's flowers

1 - Scutellaria ovata subsp. versicolor - Heart-leaved Skullcap

2 - Scutellaria integrifolia - Hyssop Skullcap

3 - noID Hydrangea

4 - Lilium 'Mona Lisa'

5 - Lilium 'Algarve'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Greenthumb, do you have an 'area' where you grow lilies or are they interspersed? many of the plants you post pics of, I have never grown or seen growing so I'd like to see the 'context' in which they are planted. For instance, I would love to see a wide shot of your Purple Milkweed and what is growing on either side, behind or in front of same.

the heart leaf skull cap is quite beautious.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Our plants are all interspersed, generally with taller ones at the back. Our lilies, for example, are scattered all around, some by the house, some in the open, others under trees at the edge of the woods.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow lots of action here, I was missing.

Pat and David's garden continues to astound.

Going by coleup's hydrangea pH chart, I might guess my pH on the side of the house is about 6.0. That lacecap there has mix of pink blue and lavender blooms. I will look and see if it's more pink next to the concrete.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Aspenhill was the inspiration several years ago for trying the lilies in the shade. Very glad we did. She has a beautiful hydrangea blooming now and (hint hint) a photo would be great. That is at the top of my wish list.

Frederick, MD

Not to mention all her gorgeous Astilbe !

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pat and David---
It must have been a few years ago that I gave you the NBC Epi. When?
It was, probably, a rooted plant and you worked your magic on it and it grew and grew.
Yes! When the NBC bud assumes the "fish Hook shape--it is going to bloom THAT night.

Were the "other" cuttings I gave you also Epis? Which one? #1 or #2 ??
(My way of classifying them). #1 is the "Akermanii". #2 (NOID) has those gorgeous,
magenta blooms.
The one "Doc" had that bloomed so majestically, was a good-sized plant from me too.
He worked his magic on it and it respnded bu growing equally majestically.
None of them EVER bloomed for me! Don't ask me why!!

I do not have any more NBC to share. gave up on it--or--gave them all away.
The biggest one (4' or so) I had for years--and it never ever bloomed--I brought it to
Bec's first swap and gave it to her. She kept it outside on her small back porch.
It bloomed the next summer for her! Bah--Humbug on me!

I have a few rooted cuttings of both #1 and #2 to share. Mostly #2. (the pretty one).
Also one or two of the Ric Rac cactus. All of them are "Orchid cactus".
Great patience is required with all of these....until they bloom.

The RR bloomed ONLY once for me---in all the years I had it--and with only 2 flowers.
Have NO idea what it needs to flower??? Obviously--my lackadaisical way of gardening
does not suit them. G.

Gita, my "red Epi" has lots of blooms and buds right now.

at the risk of confusing things even further, here is something I found about the 'red Epi"
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Disocactus&species=x%20hybridus

and about Epiphyllum
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Epiphyllum

I will not blame or condemn you if you till call it red Epi. The ackermanii species part is enough for those who really know these plants to figure out what you're referring to.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Love your skullcaps GT. I've never seen a pinky/lavender one.

Asiatic Lily 'Orange Electric'
Heliopsis helianthoides
Nepeta 'Blue dragon'
Shasta Daisy 'Becky'
Pink penstemon

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OHHH, Sally!!! You have now royally confused me!

What am I supposed to glean from all that info on the links above?

It is too late in the evening--and I have had an exhausting day watering
everything outside for over 8 hours in this heat. It was inhuman!

I am tired--and will not address this issue right now....I just call it what someone
told me it was when i was looking for an ID on the Orchid Cactus Forum.
They have a "GURU" there....

Talk to you later,,,,g.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Knautia from Gardadore
Triteleia 'Rudy'
Coreopsis 'Zagreb'
Azalea 'Pink and Sweet' - smells good too!
Pale pink lavender coming on now - pretty boring but the bees LOVE it so I leave the 3 I have

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Geranium wlassovianum
Blue allium
Potentilla NOID yellow
Pink Yarrow
NOID astilbes

I know Gita I should not get I to all that . Just keep calling it red epi. Ignore that stuff. For all I know your guru is smarter than that site.

Red epiphyllum from Gita
Yellow Opuntia Prickly pear- O. humifusa?
Other prickly pear from trip to Arizona
Hydrangea
(Humming sesame Street song..one of the these things is not like the other one )

This message was edited Jun 15, 2015 6:45 AM

Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg Thumbnail by sallyg

A tale of two begonias.

I got both from Holly at the spring swap.

Planted the first one in a hanging basket and the second one is in the ground. I should know better by now since I've tried other begonias and the ones planted in the ground do terribly and rarely bloom. The hardy begonia does well in my clay but these tropical begonias really prefer fluffy potting soil.

Does anyone know what kind of ginger this is? I got it from Paul last year. I love how perfectly round it is.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - is your ginger deciduous or evergreen?

Hm, I can't remember if it was evergreen! I guess I need to report back this winter.

ssg, I also got a ginger from Paul, it looks just like yours.
the ginger from Paul is evergreen and very glossy. It has stayed in a compact clump growing a little each year.

My other ginger is not evergreen and has duller leaves. It dies to the ground in winter and is spreading moderately, now a solid mat couple feet across. (share-able...)

Both of mine are uniformly green, no mottling.

We had some discussion, David, was the evergeen one classed Hexastylis and the other Asarum?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice cacti blooms Sally. What is the botanical name for the red one?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If SSg's ginger is e very glossy (which it appears to be) and evergreen, it is Asarum europaeum, European Wild Ginger. Most "gingers" that are glossy are classed as Hexastylis. Their leaves tend to be a different shape and usually mottled. If Sally's is the same in appearance as SSG's, then hers is Asarum europaeum too, rather than a Hexastylis species. There is an evergreen Asarum in the Western US, but it looks different.

Edited to add: Sally, your deciduous ginger is Asarum canadensis.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2015 7:47 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.