Yardening June 2015

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

CAM, I'm looking forward to seeing your roses and other beautiful additions this fall !

Quick question: Does anyone recognize these seedlings? They're most probably native.
The tag might have been one of those I wrote with "permanent" (LOL) marker.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jeff , from this description at Swallowtail Seeds, it sounds like the FMN that Muddy has is Myosotis scorpiodes. The biennial is usually Myostosis sylvestri though there are several other types. I have not heard of Brunnera being called FMN as it is in a different family from Myostosis (Forget Me Knot).

"WATER Forget-Me-Not
Myosotis scorpiodes

Water Forget-me-not is similar to the common Forget-me-not, is lower growing, flowers even longer, is a true perennial that will return year after year. Incredibly profuse ¼ inch bright blue flowers with small yellow eyes appear in late spring or early summer; bloom continues into late summer or early fall. An absolutely beautiful ground cover for partly shaded woodland gardens, it also charming in containers. Water Forget-me-not needs moist soil, can even be grown in shallow water in a garden bog or pond. Spreads by creeping roots to 1.5 feet across. Winter hardy to zone 3."

Neither Brunnera (Siberian Bugloss) or Water FMN (Myostosis scorpiodies) are native plants and I believe that Water FMN is listed as 'invasive' in PA and several other northeast states where it has recently become a problem especially along and near waterways and wetlands.

All that glitters is not gold applies in the plant world, too.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Can't ID them Muddy, but they are cute with their red stems!

I have readable tags from the nursery I worked at eight years ago and some from the Swap at your house that have gone 'blank' Grrr.

Can you confirm which FMN you have growing and shared with Seq?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--
That is a very stately looking trellis. Looks like metal. Yes?
The red rose against the stone wall and white trellis will look spectacular

My "Autumn Sunset" climbing rose is really declining. Half of the
canes are dead this year. There is always one new cane that shoots up
in the spring but,overall, it is just getting old...I think. I made the tall trellis this rose
lives on from PT wood slats screwed together.

I do not know what to do with this climbing rose? It has been growing in this spot
for a long, long time. Wonder if i could dig it up and plant something else??
Thinking how pretty the Zephirine Drouhin Rose would look there....

On the other hand--the Clematis-"Lady Betty Balfour" wants to climb to the moon!!
It's tendrils are twining on everything nearby. It is on a small, metal trellis (Aldis).
NOT high enough for it. A switch here would work great...but NOT realistic.

Also--my all time favorite Rose "Sweet Surrender" is also declining.
There is ONE main stem left--and a new cane from this spring. This one is about
20+years old as well.
Everything seems to be getting old here---including ME!

1--The tall trellis I made for the climbing rose.

2--How the base of this trellis was put together.

3--The last stems of my "Sweet Surrender" Rose. It will continue--somehow!

4--This is the "Lady Betty Balfour" Clematis--which wants to climb and climb...
but it has NO trellis high enough to do so...

5--This Clematis is twining around anything and everything...Needs a 10' trellis!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Nice trellis Cam. I'm glad you are doin up your backyard and not just the front. Trellis will pick up Dogwood leaf variation while awaiting full rose coverage. What exposure is that wall? I'm smiling just imagining all of the weird yoga positions necessary for 'some assembly required'!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Muddy - did you start any Heuchera/Heucherella/Tiarella seeds?

This message was edited Jun 13, 2015 12:21 PM

Frederick, MD

Gita, no... that trellis is made of PVC... low maintenance. More time for tending to the important stuff, plants. :) And the cultivar of rose I bought have bright pink flowers, equally gorgeous on the brown brick, I think. And thank you.

Your clematis is very happy, I see. I planted two at the base of my light post about a month ago with two 9 inch wide trellises on opposing sides (one will get purple flowers, the other white). I thought they would grow like weeds but even with frequent watering they are growing pretty slowly. They are looking very healthy though. :)

Coleup, thank you. Yes, i thought the white trellis worked best with the variegation in both the hostas and the dogwood. And haha, trying to keep those cross-members in place while you work your way up the row was quite an adventure. I could have used six hands to do that job. I'm proud of myself though, only three cuss words during the entire job, including drilling into brick. And none of the three were the mother of all cuss words. :)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yikes, you took the plunge and drilled into the brick, eh!

How far off the brick have you set your trellis? Down here (almost at the shore!) with all of our heat and humidity two acquaintenances have mounted their trellises almost a foot and a half out from the wall for better air circulation. One said her kit came with a mounting extension thingy for just that purpose.

I've often thought that a trellis was a great way to get a 'tree' only so high and wide in a particular space...and no digging required.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Greenthumb, I don't think so. I have a list of most of the plants I sowed, although I did sow a few mystery seeds acquired from a native plant garden.

Frederick, MD

Coleup, the trellis came with two inch spacers but I added another inch to set it 3 inches away from the wall.

And I missed an earlier question, sorry, that wall faces east, gets about 6 hours of morning to early afternoon sun. Apparently the Zephirine Drouhin climbing rose blooms well in shade so it should do quite well on that wall.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks nice Cam, I need to decide on a trellis for my Pyracantha, I'm thinking fan shaped.

Frederick, MD

Thank you. I was pretty limited in choices beause I was looking for a very wide one. There are some good looking fan shaped trellises I saw when I was researching, Holly. That's what I had for my Pyracantha too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is my little thorny baby, just picked it up a few months ago, already started into a fan shape. Did a little work on it last week, I have always wanted to espalier a Pyracantha.

Frederick, MD

Appears you got an invisible one, Holly, unless my eyes have gone REALLY bad. :)

Trying to espalier a Pyracantha sounds like a pretty dangerous undertaking. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL didn't even realize I forgot the pic.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD

That's better. :) Yes, sure does have a fan shape ! Healthy, too.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I figured out my mystery seedlings...they're Filipindula rubra, growing from seeds I got from Watermark Woods: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68/

While I was moving some Jewelweed from that general vicinity, I spotted the F. rubra I had already planted: perfect match!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

What an interesting plant, Muddy. It almost looks like cotton candy.

Nice trellis, CAM! That rose is going to look beautiful!

I have a clematis that's had wilt for two years now (and thus no blooms) I think it may be time to shovel prune it. :( I'm not sure what else I could plant in its place, though. Obviously I shouldn't plant another clematis there, but there are very few well-behaved, short-growing vines that could take its place.

I have a box coming from Santa Rosa next week! I'm going to have quite a bit of planting (and also transplanting) to do. I don't know what I do this to myself so late in the season. I'll be watering the newbies all summer!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You seem to be having a run of bad luck with wilt problems, ssg! I bet it's due to the wet winter, because your plants normally thrive.

Depending on the growing conditions, maybe you could try the native Clematis viorna: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CLVI4

One that I got from greenthumb will be blooming soon. It is a delicate vine and I can't imagine that it would become a thug, but greenthumb or others would know better.

Plant Delights sells a cultivar, but the price doesn't come close to matching free ; - ) http://www.plantdelights.com/Clematis-viorna-Guilford-Co-NC-for-sale/Buy-Vasevine/

Frederick, MD

SSG... thank you. :)

Actually, wilt and rot have been an ongoing issue for me in various parts of the yard since the first year I started gardening. I think the combination of moisture-retentive clay and shallow soil is perfect for some of these organisms. This area where this clematis is planted been amended and elevated, though.

That native clematis is very pretty but really delicate. I'm wondering if I should just try a sulphur spray to control the wilt.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I wonder whether you could find some one who could analyze your soil and tell you what the specific pathogens are.

Clematis wilt is apparently caused by Ascochyta clematidina. I actually have another clematis that got clematis wilt towards the end of last year but that one recovered after being severely cut back.

The problem with dense plantings is the lack of air circulation, which I'm sure is a contributing factor.

My redtwig dogwood is half dead now. I'm going to contact the extension service about that one. There are so many possibilities of what could be attacking it.

One of my 'Lady in Black' asters has some sort of a fungal infection as well, and that could be any number of pathogens.

I'm going to call the MD extension service about the dogwood and the aster.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Espalier pyracanthas are so pretty. There is a Vanscoy jewlers over by the mall has several of them and they are so beautiful when in berry.

Muddy, that F. rubra is very beautiful!

Well I had 21 shrubs to plant today but only got 14 of them in. Here are a couple pics of before and during pics. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to get it all finished. The reason I only got 14 in was that there were so many rocks digging in that area of the yard. I cannot even believe how many were in there. I got three 5 gallon buckets full of rocks ranging from ping pong ball sized to softball sized. Absolutely ridiculous. I almost wonder if it used to be a driveway for the farm that used to be there. Either that or that is where they dug a hole and buried all the rocks left from digging foundations.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Frederick, MD

I feel your pain, Jeff. Lots of rocks that size throughout my property too. At least it looks like their soil is nice and rich. That's going to look great when you're done!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

ssg, that's rough! I hope the extension service can ID the pathogens and tell you how to get rid of them.

Sequoia, I really like the shape of that bed, and its size. I keep thinking of combining some of the ones I have in my front yard. What kind of tree and conifer are they?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jeff, It is really looking nice, just love your pics. What kind of rocks are they I know there is a lot of limestone in that area but I was wondering if you have red sand stone like we do. Your description about the rocks in the holes is pretty much what we deal with here. There is always a wheel barrow or large bucket near by for the rocks when we plant anything of size. Even small holes for annuals turns up a few rocks.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

WOW, just WOW, seq!!!!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I only found one rock that was red sandstone all the rest were shale. Usually it's not that bad but it depends on where in our yard it is. The trees in the pics are a Katsura and Loblolly pine. I've been excited to start this project at our house but had to wait until my job was done at that lady's house.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You can probably SELL shale around here, just because we don't have it. lol.
Rocks here are blobby rusty ironstone concretions, I believe. When stacked for walls they can weather and darken and smooth some.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

So I dug a small hole for a small azalea I pulled two rocks out of the hole I was trying to dig. Here is the pot that I was digging the hole for and here are the rocks. I was adding this to an established bed not like it came out of the middle of the yard.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Wow, nice job, Seq! I love that tree in the middle.

I hated planting bulbs the first couple of years because it bothered me that I couldn't just dig a few small holes and plop the bulbs in. I'd start digging, hit a rock, then make a bigger hole, and the next thing I know, I have a wheelbarrow full of rocks and a giant hole in the ground! LOL

Frederick, MD

About par for the course when I dig a hole too, Holly. I wonder what it would be like to live somewhere with rich soil and no rocks. You think that's what Heaven is like ? :)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, I'm convinced that rocks gravitate towards the surface while we're not looking ; - )

ssg, thanks for mentioning how poor air circulation contributes to disease. I thought of that as I noticed yellow leaves at the base of 2 of my Elderberries, which might have been caused by the Jewelweed seedlings crowded around them. I yanked up those seedlings pretty quickly!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking the same thing Muddy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I truly believe that rocks DO gravitate to the surface over years.

In our first years in this house--which was freshly built in 1969--on pretty
garbage soil for where the lawn was to be, but the builders sodded the whole lawn.

A couple of years later, when my lawn was fully established, I would see clumps of
weeds here and there. When I went to dig them up--there was, usually, a big rock under it.

Where did THAT come from????? It had to have worked its way up to the surface.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

After we finish our work on why deer eat the plants they do and shifting deer preference for brouse to invasive species thus reclaiming our forests and edges, we can turn our attention to a 'whole yard fan!

Just like in our bodies we can have a 'yeast overgrowth' when conditions are right so too the burgeoning of wilts and rots and funguses and viriouses and rusts and spots! Plants may survive, but in a weakened state which bugs must read as an 'All You Can Eat' signal to move in, bringing with them or further spreading the pathogen.

SSG, I lost three clematis to wilt last year and see signs of it this year. I'm going to try some Hydrogen Peroxide therapy on some of my various plants with that mottled yellow/green then yellow leaf drop and lightly hit the soil surface beneath for some control before they are all stem and no leaf 12" up. Let me know what your extension agent has to say please. Maybe I will cut my remaining clems to the ground....

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita and all you other rock hounds,
you might enjoy reading about a 7 acre field of boulders in Bucks County PA , called Ringing Rocks Park. No on know how they got there or why they produce various tones when hit with a hammer or another rock. Some of the rocks have the notes of the sound they make marked on them..

"In June, 1890 Dr. J. J. Ott collected enough rocks with different pitches to play some tunes accompanied by the Pleasent Valley Band. This event took place at Stony Garden during the Buckwampun meeting and was, perhaps, the first ever rock concert."

http://www.davidhanauer.com/buckscounty/ringingrocks/

Thumbnail by coleup
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's a pretty cool place Coleup!

Crazy Holly that those rocks came out of that little hole. I bet those were pretty tough to get out.

Amazing Sally that you all have none of these annoying rocks down there.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Not none, but lots fewer I guess! Me and coleup are down here on the ancient alluvial plain or somesuch (not sure why alluvial popped in my head) but anyway we are more in a layer of washed down sediment here on the coastal plain, rather than you people with rock.

My neighbor has a geology BS, said our blobby rocks are made from minerals collecting in voids and solidifying. Sort of like
http://rockhounds.ning.com/photo/limonite-concretiongoethite

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.