Your Neck of the Woods 2015 Part 4

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very colorful

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Very pretty flowers, Speedie!

Those are indeed very colorful mushrooms. Something about that hot pink one shouts "poisonous"; I wonder what it is.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Most likely, none are edible. Fascinating though, to have so many different ones; your wooded natural lot must have a rich diversity of fungi

typo

This message was edited Jul 6, 2015 6:49 AM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Mushrooms are indeed cool. There was a perfect 'toadstool' type growing in the center of a Norway Maple at my in laws' house last time I was there.

One neighbor had the best fairy rings of big toadstools. There used to be a crabapple there, so I think it was living on the dead roots in the lawn? Anyway, when the house was vacant I brought a toadstool home to seed our lawn. Had one the other day, just one.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Made it to our son's today in Oregon. YAY!!! Found a campground south of Spokane last night in the high desert. It was 100 when we arrived at 7pm. Glad for electricity and AC.

I did get a pic of Maggie's centerpiece.

Went shopping at Grocery Outlet for this reunion. Saved $195. DIL will go to a bread outlet tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Jan23

Yay!
The flowers are just as charming as she surely is.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh goodie Jan!! Love those happy family reunions!! =) Goodness, I can only imagine the shopping you did to save $195, WOW!
Love the bouquet, what a little Sweetheart she is to get it for you! ♥

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, the fungi photos I posted the other day were in just a small area, so I went out today and took more photos just to show you how much diversity we really have. All were within about 50 feet of the house, and there were a few photos that didn't come out.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

More

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

And more

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David-
One of my fondest memories, in my childhood, was to go mushroom
picking in the wee hours of the morning..after a good soaking rain.
Of course--mushrooms grow best in the Northern areas--in old pine forests
where the floor is covered in with pine needles, lots of moss, etc.
Here--the woods have all kinds of undergrowth and the climate just is not
conductive to mushrooms growing.

However--here is a link to edible mushrooms in Maryland.
David--do you think some of the mushrooms in your garden areas are edible?

https://www.google.com/search?q=edible+mushrooms+in+maryland&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BuObVbLkAobz-QGR_qbgBg&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=895

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful David, I just love interesting mushrooms. Do you by any chance have Indian Pipes in your woods?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Cool mushrooms, David.

At the campground with all the wildflowers, I pointed one out to Rachel, my DIL as a type of geranium. There was a woman who was passing us on the path and she overheard me and spun around and said, I was wondering what those were. Thanks, I'll go look it up. Gee....I sure hope I was right. Hehehe.

Speedie, I spent $220. I do have to stop today and pick up a few more things that I couldn't get there, though.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, we had multiple clumps of Indian Pipes last month. David posted a couple of photos of them on 6/18 on the First Flowers of Almost Summer thread. Here (hopefully) is a link to the first photo.

I was pulling out more vinca yesterday that was right up next to some landscape timbers and at first thought there were a lot of bent nails on the garden side, but as I pulled more vinca, it turned out to be some very strange looking mushrooms with caps that resembled nail heads.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=10096936&extraimg=0

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

There they are just beautiful, I was thinking that I had asked David about them before (my memory is so bad) so maybe I commented on the at that time. Pic looks very familiar.

The landscaper was here this morning, we won $300 worth of landscaping. There were several jobs we had thought of having done. One of them was for someone to come and clip the big walk thru Yew. It is a big job and usually takes Ric a couple of days clipping what he can reach then dragging out and setting up the scaffolding working on one side then tear it down and set up on the other two sides and the reach across the top is really wide. I think it will be a good choice for us.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

That sounds like an excellent way to claim your prize, Holly. That should save your back and Ric's as well. What a project!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Greetings all. Glad to catch up a bit on all your adventures and doings. Jan, have the best reunion ever!

As a kid, my woods yielded morels and puffballs...very edible, and lots of types gathered by old, immigrant men in bushel baskets and cloth bags.

Here are some of the shrooms newly sprung up here abouts, some the same as David's.

From the wood pile or or outer space perhaps a moon of Pluto!

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Grazin in the Grass

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Fit For a Fairy!

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

My favorites:

Are these the magic ones?

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup

Those are some really cool pics of mushrooms y'all. Judy, the first pic on the left of that last grouping... those definitely look like "'Shrooms.. maaannn". < =D

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We had a storm blow through last night and drop over a half inch of rain in about 15 minutes. It was pretty windy too and knocked over a couple of my taller agastache. The one I pulled back up and it was fine, the other needed staked. The non staked one is at least 5' tall but it has a lot of 3 1/2-4' plants around it for support.

wow, tall Agastache. Scattered storms here too, really could enjoy a beak from the humidity.
Bummed that my day off will start with a quick strep test. But why else would I have a sudden sore, swollen throat and no other cold symptoms? or am I overreacting?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

You didn't swallow a bumblebee in your sleep did you? Perhaps you didn't chew a Dorito enough and it scraped the back of your throat? Have you taken up sword swallowing recently?

If you only have a sore throat, I'd stay away from the doc. I hate having to go in there and pay money to find out nothing, it always seems like such a waste.

Tall agastache indeed; it's a 'Black Adder' and one of my few successful bare root plants from a few years ago.

Yeah, we've had several false alarms from one of our kids over the years. But DD had a really bad throat last year, mono plus rounds of strep...

Nice: I have just an agastache that reseeds one or two here and there each year, perfect as little treats for pollinators and beneficial wasps.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah mine might reseed if it was all by itself but the bed it's in is super crowded and no volunteers can get enough light to grow. Well I hope you don't have strep!

Minute Clinic says no strep- yay. I was really concerned that if I did not get tested, and was positive, I could go to work tomorrow and spread strep all over the cramped, shared office area, and we have one co worker just started chemo coming in part time. Plus my daughter susceptible. I hate to be a wimp but how else would I know? I'm either getting a virus, or having postnasal drip from an unnoticed mild allergy.

Now to go back and pay 217$ for 90 days glaucoma eyedrops, AFTER the discount card is applied, taking 300$ off--- eek!

It is beautiful day here! low humidity

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Glaucoma? You're much too young for glaucoma! What's up with that?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, good news about no strep. Hope you feel better soon from whatever it is. After I was hospitalized with a diabetes issue last year where I also ended up getting pneumonia, has me really jumpy about chest congestion. Ever since, I head to the dr for testing at the first sign of a cold. Sounds like the same situation with your family and strep. Definitely better safe than sorry!!! Again, glad it isn't strep for you this go around.

Bad genes on Dad's side. But it's controlled with a drop a day, so it's good. We were all hoping for Mom's eyes and ears, Dad's heart and blood, Mom's kidneys...

Thanks Terri, and glad to hear YOU have been well. You scared us a bit!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I guess we all don't have a choice of how our chromosomes are built. I guess unless we are a test tube baby, we all have a good chance of getting something undesirable.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear about your throat, Sally, and about the cost of those glaucoma drops! Does your health insurance have a mail order Rx option by any chance? We pay 33% less if we get meds through the mail.

My dad also had early onset glaucoma and so I've been getting tested every year. Eyes aren't something you want to mess around with; thank goodness you started getting tested so early, Sally!

Yes, I am a mere child...lol
I guess my prescription plan stinks. Totally no coverage on this med. The original cost was 500, but I am on a 'discount' card from the manufacturer. This is the most I have ever paid.

Thanks Muddy, good to check into but I'm not hopeful.

Muddy, can you recommend an online pharm?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, don't know if you have tonsils or not? If you do, check out "tonsil stones'. My daughter just was diagnosed with them and now knows the 'cause' of her previously unexplained frequent sore throats (and a few ear aches) and another repercussion of post nasal drip drip drip drip drip drip

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--I believe Wallgreens uses an on-line Pharmacy system.

At least it was available and offered with my Medicare-D plan, Check into it.

Not sure if you have to be under some certain Med. Plan.

https://www.walgreens.com/login.jsp

tonsil stones, who knew? glad she got diagnosed.

I don't have frequent sore throats, this is very rare and made me more concerned about strep.

Thanks Gita

Sally, very glad to hear the good news that your strep test was negative! That really isn't something to play around with, especially with such a sensitive daughter, and such close working quarters!

Wow Coleup, I'd never heard of tonsil stones before, very interesting! Now I'm gonna have to go look it up.

I learned today that the blooms of our Hardy Hibiscus plants at work are bigger than my face. Don't believe me? Look! =)

Thumbnail by speediebean

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.