2015 June Birthday Card Swap

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy Birthday!!!

The DG birthday card club is a way to ensure a special day.

We welcome new members to the birthday thread. Our delightful obligation is to send a card to each birthday club member when his/her birthday occurs.

It's best to receive a pile of cards on or before your birthday so we do our best to send each card in a timely manner. This makes the card more meaningful to the recipient and to the sender. We don't have to send expensive or elaborate cards. We can make one or pick up one at nearly any store these days, or buy a whole box of cards at once and be prepared for the whole year!

It's a wonderful experience to receive cards in the mail.

Current Birthday Club Members:

Jokenna / Tina -- February 26
Dragonflys4me / Chris -- February 28
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
Katgroves / Kathy -- October 25
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28

Thumbnail by GardenQuail

Hi all,
Yay! We have a birthday this month! Linda Kay, I hope you like all of the pretty flowers on this birthday cake we found for you :)
If anyone has missed our discussions from May and want to get caught up on things, we came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1392913/
Michelle

This message was edited Jun 1, 2015 2:13 PM

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

That is a beautiful cake .

Hi, all.
LK, glad you like the cake :)
Checked for seedlings again today. Found a basil seedling and 2 Daydream cosmos. Hoping these survive! And, I'm hoping I planted enough seeds to have enough germinate.
Have a great Tuesday!
Michelle

I hope they survive for you!

Hi, all.
Well, my seedlings from Tuesday are still there, and today, I found 2 moon flower seedlings and what I believe to be a chamomile seedling :) Found another seedlings, but I think it was a weed :( It came up where I planted beans, so it didn't look right for one of these. I'm thinking the bean seeds were too old. May need to buy some fresh seeds and replant these.
Have a great Friday!
Michelle

Glad to hear you have some seedlings! I have found even brand new seeds not all germinate. Give them time, you may be surprised.

Hi, all.
Well, before I replanted the seeds I didn't think came up, I had my husband check for seedlings in case they were too small for me to feel. We discovered quite a few :) So, now I'm just hoping that the seeds that are growing are the seeds that I planted and not weeds.
Unfortunately, my bean seeds did not come up (they were from 2008, so I figured it was a long shot), so I decided to buy fresh seeds. And while I was at the store, I discovered that they had Scarlet Runner Bean seeds. We grew these once before and really enjoyed them. You can eat them as you would green beans (their pods are broad and flat, not rounded like a green bean), but you can also leave them on the vines longer and harvest them as shell beans, or leave them even longer, and harvest them to use as dried beans. We especially like them as shell or dried beans. One fascinating thing about these beans is that they are huge! Since I had two empty containers, I decided to get both Blue Lake green beans (this is my favorite kind of green bean) and the scarlet runner beans.
Hopefully, these will both do well, but there is a chance they may decide it's too hot on out deck. The last time I grew green beans on our deck, they produced for a while, took a break during the really hot part of the summer, and then resumed production in the fall. I've never tried growing the scarlet runner beans on our deck. We grew these some years before that when we lived in Redwood City.
Oh, and the Scarlet Runner Bean flowers attract hummingbirds. That will be fun, too :)
Lk, watch your mail :) My card to you, signed by me and my guide dog, went into the mail Friday evening.
Everyone, have a great week!
Michelle

I know you will be happy with your beans.

I will let you know when the card arrives.

Hi, all.
Hot here, today. May need to mist the seedlings a couple of times today. Should help them and help keep the soil moist so the Sluggo is more effective. Looks like the snails/slugs got more seedlings. But I still do have some. Will probably replant a few things. I must say, however, my moon flower seedlings are doing nicely :)
Have a great day!
Michelle

Michelle, I just got your beautiful card. Thanks so much!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey hey LK!

I sense a birthday. :)

xo
A.

Yeah, Saturday! And everyday, hubby keeps saying, your 60! Your so old!!!

But he is taking me out to dinner, not for sure where. But it has to have a margarita included!

Hi, all.
LK, I'm glad you like the card :)
Amanda, how are things going? Glad to hear from you :)
Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!
Michelle

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Going to be a hot one here today so don't know for sure what I will be getting into. Everyone have a lovely day. Kathy

Hi, all.
Kathy, good to hear from you :)
Today wasn't bad, but tomorrow is supposed to be quite hot again. Had a lovely rain yesterday. Not sure how much we got, but it was a nice gentle rain. Watered the garden nicely. I think we got more than they expected :)
I have green bean seedlings :) 11 of the 12 came up, and the 12th may yet appear! I'll only be keeping 6, so sadly I'll have to thin them at some point. (I always hate having to do this, but I know it's necessary.) Planted extra in case some of the seeds didn't germinate. Much better germination rate than my seeds from 2008!
Have a great Friday, everyone!
Michelle

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Michelle,
Going to be another hot and humid one here today also. 95+ again plus with the heat index we will be over 100. With Megan having to get blood work done and a few errands that I need to run at least I will be in the AC for awhile. Stay cool, Kathy

Kathy, i got your card yesterday. It is very beautiful. Thanks so much.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Linda Kay, you are welcome, hope you have a great birthday tomorrow.

Thanks. Hubby is taking me out for lunch today, and tomorrow he is cooking baby back ribs!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Jun 13, 2015 8:54 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, LK, thAts somthing special. :)

Enjoy your special day!

Hi Michelle: I'm just trying to stay out of trouble. You know sometimes it's hard for me. HhahHaha

Have a Great weekend everybody!

You posted twice.

(Chris), IA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! Found my way over here just in time to realize that I'll be late with LK's birthday card :) Hubby and I had a great time in Utah but both came back with bronchitis (he gave me his as he had it first!) Guess that's one of the joys of flying in planes, right? The dr has us both on inhalers, cough syrup/pills and we are both VERY tired of feeling sick! Course the weather hasn't been the best - think we have almost 4 inches of rain since we got home Monday and they're talking about rain all weekend. My flowers are doing ok, except for a couple that the rabbits have enjoyed. We found a nest under our red maple and were trying to catch them in our live trap, but our dog Maggie had other ideas and did kill 2 before we could get to her. The rest of the nest are now gone, guess Momma moved them after losing some babies :(

Anyway, hope you have a great birthday tomorrow Linda and I'll get your card in the mail on Monday :) PS - you're younger than me! I turned 61 this year lol

Sorry to hear your both sick. Bronchitis is no fun. Listen to your Dr. and get plenty of rest!

Hi, all.
Great to hear from you all :)
Chris, I hope you and your husband feel better soon! Take good care of yourselves. I'm glad to hear most of your flowers are doing well.
Amanda, hope you're getting to do something fun, too :)
LK, hope you had a tasty lunch. The ribs for your birthday sound yummy, too :)
I now have 11 of 12 green bean seedlings up, and the first of my scarlet runner bean seedlings has emerged! Sadly, some of my seedlings are still disappearing :( But others are now large enough for me to feel, including some basil seedlings. And, the basil smells delicious!
Have a great Saturday, everyone!
Michelle

Thanks Michelle, we had a great lunch. I had a huge BLT with fries, and a perfect margarita, and hubby had a club sandwich.

Glad to hear your beans are sprouting.

Otway, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Linda Kay, hope that you have a great day.

Hi, all.
LK, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you have a very special day :)
And I'm now up to 5 scarlet runner bean seedlings, with plenty of time for more to appear today :)
Have a great day, everyone!
Michelle

Thanks so much.

I got a beautiful card from Amanda. Thank you.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You're a special girl, LK. :)

xo

Hi, all.
Hope you all had a lovely Flag Day!
Nice day here Sunday. I may actually get to have 1 Teddy Bear Sunflower plant, assuming that's what the seedling is and assuming it survives! I've covered it with one of those berry baskets with a few small rocks on top of the basket to hold it in place. Hopefully, this will protect it until it gets big enough that the birds won't eat it, and hopefully the slugs and snails won't get it either.
Looks like I'll have some more replanting to do. More seeds didn't come up or if they did, they got eaten.
Received a packet of free basil seeds from a restaurant we like to go to (has a coupon on it, too!). I have some basil planted, but I think I'll plant some more :) The basil seedlings that are growing now smell SOOO yummy! If all of the basil I plant comes up, I'll have lots to share! The free basil I received is the regular sweet basil. The other basil I already planted is a large leaf container basil from Renee's Garden. Guess I can compare them to see which I like better.
I now have 100% seed germination of my green bean seeds! All 12 are up! And 8 of the scarlet runner beans are growing! So, I'm thinking I'll have lots of beans and basil this summer, and a few flowers :) Not a bad combination!
Have a great Monday!
Michelle

Glad to hear your beans are growing.

Hi, all.
Looks like we're in for some beautiful weather this week. They say that we're having seasonal temperatures this week (somewhere in the 70s, I think). There for a while, temps were either higher or lower than usual. So it was nice being out in the garden today.
All but one scarlet runner bean is up, now. I'll soon thin my green beans, scarlet runners, and moon flowers. But I thought I'd wait a little just in case something happens to the ones I want to keep.
Have a great Tuesday, everyone!
Michelle

Good luck thinning your plants.

Hi, all.
Well, I thinned the moon flowers and scarlet runner beans Saturday. And I decided not to plant more seeds in the planters that don't already have something growing in them now. I have things that want to be planted in late summer or early fall, so I'll save those planters for then. I may replant some things in the empty spaces in the planters that do have things already growing in them.
Hope you all have had a great weekend, and have a great week!
Michelle

I hope you have success with all your plants.

Chris, I got your birth card. Thanks so much.

Hi, all.
Guided my first green bean seedling to the trellis :)
Have a great Tuesday!
Michelle

You will be picking beans in no time!

(Chris), IA(Zone 5a)

Glad it got there, Linda :)

We have been deluged by rain for about the last week - over 6 inches worth. My plants are actually getting fungus from too much moisture! It's been crazy here, but I am getting some blooms finally so that makes me happy!

I haven't been able to even go watch my grandson play baseball as every game where he lives is getting rained out too lol.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.